A new scam

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

A new scam

Postby johnincrete » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:15 am

Today I received an email supposedly from the UK TV authorities which appears to require me to use their link to supply personal and bank details. I say "appears" because I did not follow their link and have deleted the email. It is also directed to a person with the name that is my email address!

I take it as a scam because it is over 14 years ago that I left the UK and allowed my TV licence to expire.

I post this warning especially to ex-pats who are more newcomers and who might still have or have only recently given up a TV License.

We all should know that we NEVER give out personal details using links supplied by an email.

Yin&Yang

Re: A new scam

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:55 am

Thank you for the warning John.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:08 am

More information here. Most organisations have a section dealing with phishing scams so it is always worth forwarding the email to the relevant section before deleting.

If the "from" address just looks like a name, rather than a full email address, you can hover your mouse over the address and it should show you the true address. Pay particular attention to the ending. The name might look real but if you look closely the ending might be wrong, e.g. .ru instead of .co.uk.

Warwick

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:07 pm

johnincrete wrote:We all should know that we NEVER give out personal details using links supplied by an email.

I would go further and say never use links supplied by an email unless absolutely necessary.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Keltz wrote:
johnincrete wrote:We all should know that we NEVER give out personal details using links supplied by an email.

I would go further and say never use links supplied by an email unless absolutely necessary.

Yes, I would agree with that. Most genuine businesses like banks etc now say 'log into your account on our website......' but don't provide you with a link. Much safer. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”