UK Virgin Sim

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Re: UK Virgin Sim

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:15 am

Kilkis wrote:...On the downside OTP SMS messages have been taking over 5 minutes to deliver and therefore the connection is useless for me. I am not sure when it switched from Cosmote to Wind so I will see if the delay is less the next time I do online banking, probably a little over one week...

As an update, I have now done two UK banking transactions on different days and the OTPs came through Virgin quite quickly on both occasions. They are not quite as instant as they are when I am using a Greek bank but less than 30 seconds so there is no problem using them.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:05 pm

peebee wrote:
BST wrote:Has anyone had Sims for other networks sent out directly to Crete?

I obtained a new O2 SIM because I needed nano one, as the old one I had could not be cut down.
It was bought in UK supermarket for 99p, delivered to me and I fitted it in phone here, went to O2 website and transferred my existing number to the new SIM very easily.
It actived after a few hours, but was not (and still cannot) able to make or receive phone calls here. Texts are no problem either way, just the calls.
After a number of calls to them, I finally got someone who knew what the problem is.
You have to connect the new SIM to the UK network just once, otherwise you cannot make calls from abroad.
He suggested I sent it back and have someone fit it in their phone to get it recognised on the network, then send it back to me.
As I only want it to receive security verification texts, I wont bother, the up side to all this is that I don't get cold calls anymore.
I suspect the problem with yours is the same.

Update:- had a call from a UK firm inquiring on how I am coping during the Covid lockdown. It came through on my O2 SIM, and after informing them that I was doing really well, thank you, because I don't live in the UK they hung up. I then phoned my house using to see if the O2 SIM could make outgoing calls and it worked fine. Don't know why it has started working again, maybe getting a call from a UK number, maybe they fixed the problem, maybe due to Brexit, no idea whatsoever.

BST

Postby BST » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Ours have worked brilliantly, touch wood since they changed from Cosmote to Wind.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:39 pm

I think we were mistaken when we thought that there had been some permanent change from Cosmote to Wind. Sometimes my Virgin SIM is connected to Cosmote and sometimes to Wind so it looks like it is just picking up the best signal.

Also mine is still sometimes slow to receive OTPs by SMS. I have done several banking transactions where the OTP has come through pretty quickly but the last one I did the web page had timed out by the time the code arrived after a little over 5 minutes. Better service than it was but still not perfect.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Just an update. My Virgin SIM started working again when everyone else's did. It's still connecting via Cosmote and the signal varies between 3 and 5 bars.

In contrast, the Greek Vodafone signal is varying 2 -5 bars and the Tesco SIM is connected via WIND, also at 2 - 5 bars. Hmm.

When my Vodafone contract is up for renewal, I plan to get an Internet modem with SIM card but I can't figure out which provider has the best 4G "unlimited" plan. I suspect that it's Cosmote as that's what my neighbours opted for.

My landline and Internet contract is with WIND so I need to find out whether switching to Cosmote for everything would provide the most economical service.

I've also looked at the Elon Musk "Starlink" satellite Internet service, which will be available here in a few months. However, it's €99/month with €500 up front for equipment and a €99 booking fee. That's quite a commitment for a pensioner. Also, it seems, I'd have to borrow a smartphone and install the App in order to set up the dish!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:44 pm

A quick update on the Virgin SIM situation. I don't do much UK online banking but since my last post I have been experimenting a bit whenever I do use it. I have found that the probability of getting an SMS through quickly is much higher on Sunday than on other days. I can't guarantee it will always come through within the time limit but it certainly has done for me on a Sunday when it has failed to on other days. Worth a try if it doesn't matter to you when you do your transactions.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”