"Cartes Postales"

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
sandboy2

"Cartes Postales"

Postby sandboy2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:24 am

No, not a misplaced posting adding to the recent comments regarding the length of time letters take going to and from from England, but to draw your attention to a new and apparently lavish TV series called "Cartes Postales" by Victoria Hislop. Depending on where you Google, it "appears" to be either 12 or 24 episodes screening every Saturday at 11pm on ERT, the first having gone out two days ago. The series has been recommended highly to me but having said that, did not see the first so cannot comment. The person who told me also advised the dialogue was in Greek but may have English subtitles on other "options", but not sure what these are, maybe someone can assist there. Sorry to be vague but hopefully for your interest.

Kilkis

Re: "Cartes Postales"

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:09 am

The first 4 episodes are available here online. The main male character is English with Cretan heritage who speaks fluent Greek. The dialogue is a mixture of English and Greek. When he is speaking in English there are Greek subtitles but there are no English subtitles when he is speaking in Greek. I cannot see any way to change the subtitles. I don't know if there are alternatives when it is broadcast to a TV as I only use internet streaming.

Warwick

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks Kilkis for that information, and shall check out the link suggested. Should have mentioned regarding bringing the series to the Forum's attention, that I understand the action to take place in Lassithi ( where the Hislops have a villa tucked away around a headland ) and England.

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:31 am

Further to my original posting regarding "Cartes Postales", I followed the extremely helpful link provided by Kilkis ( in fact still use it as it leads precisely to the right page ) and discovered the excellent Ertflix website which only requires an email address, a password, and the assurance you shall do nothing naughty with the content, and you can watch this series and others not only completely free, but without adverts ! As regards "Cartes Postales" itself, not so sure so far. Maybe Victoria noticed "Tales of the Unexpected", an old tv show, being rerun on the wilder shores of English TV, and thought "why not". Her series is beautifully shot, and the latest viewed fourth in the series has plenty of eye candy and stunning backdrops, however the dialogue is nearly all in Greek beyond my capabilities to follow, and too fast for Google Translate to keep up with. The parts of the dialogue that are in English, mainly the voice of the love struck young man are ( excuse postcard pun ) nothing to write home about, but the impenetrable Greek probably is. Shall anyway be following the series hoping initial high expectations are in due course justified.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”