Vodafone PAYG call charges

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Vodafone PAYG call charges

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Does anybody know what the current standard call charges are from a Vodafone PAYG SIM to another Greek mobile located in Greece? I cannot seem to find the price schedule anywhere. I have just done a test. My balance was €6.17. I made a call that lasted 4 min and 6 sec to a Greek mobile in Chania. My balance went down to €2.12 which is about €1 per minute. Seems a bit high?

Warwick

Phild

Re: Vodafone PAYG call charges

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:18 pm

Vodafone has made PAYG consistently more difficult and expensive over the last 10 years - the bottom line is that they don't seem to want PAYG customers anymore - unless you are willing to pay over the odds for everything. Plus, as you have found out, it's actually quite difficult to get information on the PAYG system.

At last recall, you paid a hefty price when a call was answered and thereafter a minute by minute charge - so you might be charged €3 to connect the call and then a charge-per-minute after that.

We were more or less forced to change to a contract a few years ago as PAYG had just got more expensive than a contract - for example, if you bought PAYG airtime or any "bundles", they would expire after 1 or 3 months and you would lose any balance left on the airtime or bundle.

Since we changed to a contract, the cheapest contract has escalated in price, possibly making PAYG worthwhile again. Who knows? :(
----
Phil
----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:18 pm

A friend has a contract with Cosmote. I don't know which contract it is but he doesn't have a smart phone so he is only using it for speech and texts. That seems to cost him around €24 per month. The cheapest contract with Vodafone seems to be around €25 per month.

On my Vodafone PAYG if I top up €10 per month I can buy an international package that gives me 200 minutes to 22 countries including Greece and the UK for €7.06. Even allowing for the tax deduction that still leaves me a bit for the very rare SMS. OK it terminates after 30 days and I will have not used more than about 20 minutes, so I appear to be wasting a lot of my money, BUT it is still less than half what a contract would cost me. This time I had forgotten to reactivate the International package and was a bit surprised to find I had been charged so much for a single call. I won't be switching to a contract any time soon but I will be remembering to re-activate each month.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:43 pm

I can see why you wouldn't go for a contract on that basis.

My current contract is for 2 years - started off at €18 per month on a previous contract, but has drifted up to €22.77 for this period - for this I get 1000 minutes talk time, 1000 SMS and 2Gb data, which I won't use much of - for some reason they don't seem to understand why anyone would want to have a contract with anything less than these amounts.

...and because I've just logged into the app to check all of this, I've just got a SMS to tell me that I've been given 5Gb of data for 7 days - again, which I will not get around to using because I still have 2Gb of the contract data to get through first.
----

Phil

----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:52 pm

I don't use data at all and have mobile data turned off. I only connect to the internet through WiFi. I don't use my phone for emails or browsing, much to small, but obviously lots of Apps need internet access.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:48 pm

I purchase a €10 Vodafone `bundle', it gives me 300 mins to mobiles, 300 mins to landlines, 100 sms and 600Mb data. Don't use even half of that, when it expires after 1 month, I wait until I need to make a phone call then top up again.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:19 pm

Re. your original post, Warwick, the price of about one euro per minute on the Vodafone PAYG tariff seems about right, although I agree it is steep. Oddly enough, that is also about what I pay when making a call from and to another Greek mobile when I am in the UK, so they don't seem to charge extra for making the call from outside Greece. Obviously everyone's needs differ, but I use the very basic Vodafone Prepaid for calls and texts (no data) and as long as I top up every two months any remaining balance is rolled over. The minimum top up is 10 euros, which gives you 8.93 after tax, so it's still much cheaper than a contract if your requirements are as basic as mine.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”