Proxy BBC I player

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
louisejersey

Proxy BBC I player

Postby louisejersey » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi, is anyone else with a proxy server having problems with accessing the BBC I player site? It is telling me that I can only access if in the uk, but ITV player with the Proxy is fine? This has only happened today.

Kilkis

Re: Proxy BBC I player

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:26 pm

What sort of device are you using? Tablets also have location services using GPS. It is possible BBC iPlayer is accessing that as well as checking the IP address. Try going into "Settings" and disable "Location Services". I had to do that in order to install the BBC Radio iPlayer app on a new tablet so the BBC are certainly using "Location Services" for some activities. You might need to turn the iPlayer App off and then turn it back on again, i.e. don't just exit it as it is still running in the background. Remember to turn "Location Services" on again, when you have finished with iPlayer, as many Apps use it.

You could also check that the proxy server is staying connected? If I start to download an Iplayer radio programme, i.e. not one that is stored as a podcast, my proxy server seems to disconnect part way through and the download then fails. Not sure why this is happening. I need to chase it up with the provider of my proxy server service.

Warwick

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm

I am totally lost with Technology, but I only have the Proxy on my laptop, and in fact access it through the firefox browser. I then choose I player through the search bar, so I may be wrong, but don't think that is an app? Thanks for your advice though. I am hoping that if I try again tomorrow it will work :)x

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:22 pm

You are correct Louise. If you are viewing through a browser on a laptop then you are not using the iPlayer App. The iPlayer App works on tablets and smart phones. Also it is unlikely that your laptop has a GPS receiver so there is no location service for the BBC to access. They can only find your location through your IP address.

I am not sure what is happening. I don't have a laptop, only a desktop PC, but they should basically behave the same. I turned on the VPN on my PC and went to BBC TV on my browser, Firefox, and it played perfectly. Which VPN do you use? I use a paid for VPN. I know organisations like the BBC search out the IP addresses of VPNs and block them. The free VPNs tend to attract more traffic and so possibly get blocked first.

Warwick

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:28 am

That is very helpful and reassuring that your VPN worked on your PC. Makes me hope that my problem is temporary. I do have a paid VPN, "Proxy Solutions" and as I said,it is working ITV player, just not BBC. . Hopefully, my Tech Guru (a 21 year old I used to work with!) is going to Skype me today, to see if she can help. Thanks for your input. x

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:59 pm

In case it is of help to anyone else. I contacted the Proxy company about this problem. They have sent me new Proxy details, as the BBC had Blocked the Original Proxy. They have also given me 10 days free because of the inconvenience. . Louise

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:37 am

I regularly access the BBC Radio site using Firefox. I do not have a VPN. I tried to play a programme and was told not available in my country. I have tried to play some Youtube clips (rugby) and some are refused. I have also tried to use Western Union on-line to send money from my UK bank to Nigeria and it also won't let me because I live in Greece.

How do I get a VPN? What's yours Kilkis? Do paid VPN allow use on both desktop (XP) and laptop (W7 soon to be 10) or do I need separate licences?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:34 am

Some content on BBC radio is restricted to UK only, especially sporting events. The owner of the rights to the event sell it to different broadcasters in many countries so each broadcaster has to restrict access to that country. The rights for most programmes on BBC Radio belong to the BBC so they can allow them to be accessed from wherever they want.

I use Unblock My Telly, which used to be called S4UVPNSURFER. They are not brilliant communicators but the service basically works. I don't use it very often and when I tried recently it didn't work. When I contacted them they had changed the server names without telling me. As soon as I changed the names it worked again. When I mentioned that it might be a good idea to tell users they replied that the list was on their web site.

You can use it on any internet connected device that allows you to set up a VPN, i.e. PC, laptop, tablet and smart phone. According to their FAQs You can have up to four devices connected simultaneously, provided they are all in the same country, simply by using a different server name on each device. The cheaper non-premium service that I use only has three server names so I can only connect three devices simultaneously.

I would recommend not having it connected at all times for security reasons. All your internet traffic is going through their servers so it adds risk that important information, e.g. banking details, could be intercepted. I only connect when I need a UK IP address and then disconnect.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:28 pm

I can recommend strongVPN. Very responsive to any problems. Not the cheapest.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”