Skytv

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Harry2

Skytv

Postby Harry2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:31 pm

My satellite dish was broken some months ago, now it is winter time I decided to buy a new dish.
I was told by a technician in a shop in rethymno that not to bother as sky tv is no longer received in Crete.

Is this correct, I know that earlier in the year some channels were no longer available due to satellite changes, but a number of channels remained.

Just to clarify, we have a sky box with a uk contract.

Thanks and regards

Harry

Kilkis

Re: Skytv

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:04 am

I have a Sky + HD box and a Sky contract and I get loads of channels. It is true that without a contract there is now very little since virtually all the free-to-air channels are on narrow beam antennas. Perhaps only Sky News is still available free but I'm not sure.

For anybody with a decent uncapped broadband connection I would suggest Expat Vision as a better alternative to Sky. There are other similar services but I have no experience of them.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:11 am

Just about to kick my Sky contract into touch, prices have been stealthily increased by around 20% over the last couple of years.
That and the reduced amount of channels available when the weather is good, and quite often, nothing when the weather is not so good, has pretty much made my mind up.
Now we are getting virtually everything on our Android TV box, plus loads of old series and new films, news and live sports for NOTHING, I can't see the point of continuing to fork out around nearly £400 per year for Sky.
I suspect they will offer me some kind of half price offer for 6 months, to stay, when I phone them.
If you have broadband, I suggest you look into getting one, rather than shelling out increasing amount each month, for a partial service.

Felix

Postby Felix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Also worth a look is ExPat TV from Triotech Clearstream. 30 plus channels and catchup without a subscription

Felix

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:46 pm

For those without a un-capped good speed BB line though Sky is still available. Suggest a 1.8m dish and professionally installed. Ensure you have acces to Catch Up and most programs are available - you just need to avoid 'spoilers' from friends and news [ i.e. England v South Africa this Saturday]
Contact Hi-Tek and they will give you some advice.

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:14 am

Now is the time if you are a sky subscriber to get your half price deal for 12 months, make sure you go through to the retention's team.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Harry2

Postby Harry2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:14 am

Hi
An update to my post regarding sky tv.

I have cancelled my sky account, which was fairly straightforward, but offered me 50% discount ( £32 to £16 )

Purchased expat tv box, but had it delivered to uk ( I was there over xmas period), the reason for the uk delivery is that I have had problems importing things from outside Europe, got stung for a big import tax, import tax in U.K. Was £3.

Set up for box very straightforward and selected premium package £29.

The number of channel, films, box sets available is huge.

Running smoothly on approximately 5-6mbs

Well pleased at the moment.

Thanks for recommendation.

Regards

Harry

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Get a fully loaded Android box, you can get virtually everything and there's no subscription's, purchased mine in Rotterdam for 60 odd Euros, literally every UK TV channel is there plus sports and news, dozens and dozens of film channels including new releases, it's far better than any of the satellite channels.

BST

Postby BST » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:36 pm

How do you find BT Sport's on your boxes, if you have it? We find everything else great but even though we've got a fast download speed, live matches on BT Sport's aren't great!!!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”