Cosmote Mobile

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Frank in Crete

Cosmote Mobile

Postby Frank in Crete » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:00 pm

We have recently moved to Crete full time and taken out a cosmote pay as you go mobile sim for my I phone 6 , I want to be able to top up /check the balance on my mobile by using a laptop, but every time I go into my Cosmote I get an "error occurred in connection" message.
If I try using my mobile using the cosmote app it come up in greek with no apparent way of translating to English !

There must be some brits with Cosmote pay as you go phones who have overcome this problem ?

I have tried going into the cosmote shop ( Rethymno ) and they are very helpful and put credit on my phone but I want to be able to do this myself.
Any help please ?

scooby

Re: Cosmote Mobile

Postby scooby » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:08 pm

I top up with online banking and check balance by calling 1314 (option 1). Simples.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:11 pm

If only it was that simple ! lol
For some reason my data has stopped working on 3G but I still have credit, and also I have a couple of sims that are in other devices that have no phone attached so I can not use 1314 to top up, one is a tracking unit that uses GPS for its tracking but uses SMS for notifying me if the unit has been or is moving and I can send a sms as a kill switch to immobilise the vehicle it is in (boat).
And the other is a security PIR detector that SMS to me if activated, its a bit of a pain to remove the sims on these devices put them in my phone to check/update the balance.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:24 pm

Frank in Crete wrote:...I have a couple of sims that are in other devices that have no phone attached so I can not use 1314 to top up,...

Scooby isn't suggesting using 1314 to top up. He is suggesting logging on to your on-line bank account, going to the payments section, finding COSMOTE Mobile and paying by bank transfer. At least I think that is what he is suggesting? You would need to know the payment code that would ensure the top up goes to the correct SIM. I don't use COSMOTE Mobile so I can't help further.

Personally I would be inclined to go into one of the COSMOTE shops taking your laptop with you and demonstrate what the problem is logging onto your COSMOTE account.

Warwick

PS IS it possible that your data connection isn't working because you haven't purchased a data package. I don't think just having Euro credit on a PAYG phone will give you access to data. You usually have to use some of your credit to buy a data bundle.

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Frank in Crete wrote:......... There must be some brits with Cosmote pay as you go phones who have overcome this problem ? ..........

Possibly the odd few have taken the really radical option of learning just a teeny weeny bit of Greek?

Paul

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:33 am

Hi Frank - this is what you do. Go to http://www.cosmote.gr
On the Menu line just below the cosmote title click on the second option along - kivnto ( kineto)
On the page you go to, scroll down and towards the bottom on the right there is the word Paypal and logos of various forms of Bank Cards, click on this.
The page you are taken to offers various options for payment amount to select, further down the page you are offered various ways of paying, below this still ( an odd place for it to be introduced ) is the request for you mobile phone number to type in a box entitled "Parakaloume ( please ) ..... kivnto".
Beyond this point you are on your own - presumably tick the small box beneath this and the blue box bottom right.
The only reason this might not work is if your number is not officially Registered - in which case you must go again to the Cosmote office taking with you every piece of documentation you possess, perhaps assortment of home made cakes, flowers, possibly even a small item of jewellery. Yasas.

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks Paul,
i know I have been lazy.... been here 4 weeks , obvious now fluent in Greek :D that only takes an afternoon, will try and get a couple of hours to learn the written language later this week should not take longer than that. :D

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi Frank

Apologies, I wasn't really having a pop at you. The exclamation mark at the end of your second sentence suggested a "how very dare that Greek telco not provide an English language option!", but I probably over - interpreted it.

My grumpy days pass if I keep taking the tablets, so just ignore me and enjoy Crete.

Paul

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:28 am

Thanks Sandboy2 with a bit of tweaking its worked a treat, I can now go into all my sims and put credit on them !

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:42 am

No worries Paul,
It was not mean in the "how dare they manner" although re-reading it I can see why you might have thought that, it just shows I will have to be careful with my grammer in future.

I have the attitude that we are the guests / immigrants and it does amaze me how accommodating the Greeks are with us with the little knowledge of the language I have, if it was in the UK and the other way around it would be a different story.

Seriously though I am trying to lean Greek but doubt I will ever get fluent.

Kali Mina

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:08 pm

In the spirit of friendly assistance in your quest to learn Greek, it's "Kalo Mina" :)

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:44 pm

YoMo2 wrote:In the spirit of friendly assistance in your quest to learn Greek, it's "Kalo Mina"

Only if it's someone you didn't greet yesterday.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:13 pm

YoMo2 wrote:In the spirit of friendly assistance in your quest to learn Greek, it's "Kalo Mina" :)

Because "to mina" is a neuter gender word.

In contrast, η μέρα (ee mera) is feminine so it would be "kalee mera". The ending changes to match the gender, similar to German language.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Which is why I recommend anybody just starting to learn Greek to learn every Greek noun with the corresponding word for "the" in front of it. It's quite difficult to remember what gender a noun is, although there are some rules, but if you always associate the noun with a particular form of "the" then you automatically know what the gender is. The chances are you are going to put "the" in front of it when you use it in most sentences anyway so nothing lost.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:57 pm

As Warwick says, quite hard to remember. I think "o minas" is masculine rather than neuter?

Andrew

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”