500 - Internal Server Error

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
paul g

500 - Internal Server Error

Postby paul g » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:21 am

does anyone else get this a lot on this site?
or is it just me.

Jean

Re: 500 - Internal Server Error

Postby Jean » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:32 am

It's been common for a long time. The server hosting (by Yahoo, says it all!) has always been quite unreliable

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:27 pm

I think it's caused by people making the same post twice?

Warwick

PS Sorry, Paul, the devil made me write it.

paul g

Postby paul g » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm

it took several attempts to submit the post due to the 500 error and then when it finally worked, there it was doubled.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 pm

I know. I've had the same problem.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Sorry, it's been worse over the past few days with this error, nothing that I have control over. Hopefully Yahoo hosting will fix it soon.

paul g

Postby paul g » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

YIPEE, looks like they have cracked it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

I suspect that Yahoo have tried to solve the problem several times over the past few days. From time to time the site would change from behaving erratically to giving a consistent "Unknown Host" error. I think this probably happens when they take the site off-line to rebuild it. When it returns from this state it is necessary to log-in again. Unfortunately each time it returned it was just as bad as before. This time it seems to work correctly.

Warwick

PS I should stress that I am deducing the above from the behaviour. I am not involved with the operation of the site at all and I certainly know nothing about what Yahoo is doing.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:10 pm

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think you might both be right, Warwick and Paul. This morning is the first time since about the New Year that I have been able to log on to LiC without getting Internal Server Error, Unknown Host or -- perhaps most frustrating of all -- the blue wheel of death going round and round going nowhere. As a Yahoo email customer (BT Internet) I do worry about the robustness (is that a word?) of their servers.
Last edited by Mixos on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Mixos wrote:...As a Yahoo email customer (BT Internet) I do worry the robustness (is that a word?) of their servers.

Nothing to worry about, Mixos. When it comes to server security, they are completely useless. All you can do is either continue using them, and accept that there is a high probability that at some point your email account will be hacked, or change to a more secure email provider, which will probably mean paying for it. As SatCure pointed out on another thread, you get what you pay for. If you pay nothing you get zero.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 pm

You are quite right, of course, Warwick -- a bit like what we used to say in my previous life as a journalist: "rubbish in, rubbish out." I have already had my email account compromised once before -- it was a variation on the "I'm stuck in Africa and urgently need money to get home" spam email, that went to everyone in my address book. Maybe it says something about my contacts that only two of them responded and neither believed it. I change my password regularly -- most recently after the big Yahoo hack a few weeks back -- and I'm under no illusions that Yahoo is secure. I also have a Gmail account but I'm not sure that's any better in the long run. The fact is that maybe 95%+ of all the millions of email users in the world probably use a free - and thus insecure - email provider.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Perhaps things will change if this deal goes ahead.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 am

A quote from the article linked by Filippos: "If you believe that the ad technology is part of the play and you believe that access to a billion users is valuable, then I believe [Yahoo] still has value,"

Clearly hackers seem to think that having access to a billion users has value.

Personally I have mixed feelings about Yahoo. The security of its email service is execrable. Flickr is quite good but it is just a platform that it bought in. In some circumstances its search engine is infinitely superior to Google but sometimes it isn't. It depends what you are searching for. I think LiC has demonstrated that its hosting service leaves a lot to be desired. Probably best described as a curate's egg?

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:00 pm

As far as I know, Sky uses Yahoo! to host its email accounts. Sky users beware!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”