Telephone Disconnection.

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Telephone Disconnection.

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:34 pm

In case anybody is interested, I accidentally did an experiment on how long it takes OTE to disconnect you if you don't pay the bill. Bill due on 29 December. Cut off yesterday 25 January so about four weeks. No reminder. No warning. Paid this morning and it was all back to normal when I got back this afternoon. They claim 30 minutes to reactivate the phone and 1 hour to reactivate the Internet.

Warwick

Peggy

Re: Telephone Disconnection.

Postby Peggy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:45 pm

Utilities companies aren't very consistent here, eh? When we moved we had to give 10 days notice for DEH (electric) but Cosmote told us not to notify them until a day before otherwise we would find ourselves without a phone or the internet very quickly (& in fact on the day we moved in to our new property...the very next day.... a OTE engineer rang my mobile asking to come round and connect us...impressive!)...shame there were no lines available but that's another story.
The water company, (Δεμος) don't seem to care whether you pay them once a year or not.

I love the chaos here.

Kilkis

Re: Telephone Disconnection.

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:07 am

I've never done the experiment but I think you can miss at least two payments to ΔΕΗ before they cut you off. They simply add the arrears onto the next bill each time. If you don't pay the third bill then you risk getting cut of. I'm not sure if water companies have a formal deadline. If they do it is certainly longer than ΔΕΗ.

When OTE cuts you off you can still receive calls and make emergency calls, e.g. to 911. You can't dial other numbers.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”