Geeks

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
filippos

Geeks

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm

This review is probably mostly for Warwick but others might get a chuckle from it too. The comments after the item are worth a glance, too.

P.S. Warwick might be the only forum member that understands it.

P.P.S. Apologies for it not being relevant to computers in Crete but I couldn't think where else to post it.

Kilkis

Re: Geeks

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:22 pm

I wonder how many million products sold on the Internet fall into this category, i.e a total rip-off? To be fair ceramic mugs are designed to keep drinks warm by being a poor conductor of heat. It is not surprising that their insulating properties inhibit a warming pad from heating them up. I would guess that a metal mug with thermos walls and a conducting bottom would work quite well. Whether such a vessel is available I have no idea. Perhaps the company selling the warming pad should market one?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:09 am

Have you guys got nothing better to do? :)

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:40 am

Anyone can find a spare five minutes. Don't you remember the old adage, "If you want something done ask a busy person"?

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:21 am

It was actually very entertaining. Full credit to his boss too, for not being a pompous so and so.

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Actually, when I posted the piece I did think you were likely to be one of the "others" who might appreciate it. Of course, I also knew W. would come up with some suggestion, being a clever b**g*r.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:28 pm

filippos wrote:Actually, when I posted the piece I did think you were likely to be one of the "others" who might appreciate it. Of course, I also knew W. would come up with some suggestion, being a clever b**g*r.

I was slightly surprised Warwick didn't come up with some reason why the whole basis of the guy's experiment was wrong and suggesting an alternative methodology......

Andrew

PS. I have an IT problem that I cannot find an answer to. Any chance you guys might find time to ponder on?

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:44 pm

YoMo2 wrote:PS. I have an IT problem that I cannot find an answer to. Any chance you guys might find time to ponder on?

In my case I can find time to ponder but ability to answer will depend on the question. If I don't know the answer I can almost certainly find one by consulting my little boy (he's 44 now). Some who know much more about IT than I ever will seem to think he's some sort of boffin. He regards my level of computing knowledge as "approaching nursery school". Trouble is I often have to wait as he claims to be too busy earning enough to only work 6 months per year. If I catch him in the 6 months off he's even busier with his several hobbies.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:06 pm

YoMo2 wrote:...I was slightly surprised Warwick didn't come up with some reason why the whole basis of the guy's experiment was wrong and suggesting an alternative methodology......

Andrew

PS. I have an IT problem that I cannot find an answer to. Any chance you guys might find time to ponder on?

The device is designed to keep the liquid in a mug at a certain temperature. It didn't. What else is there to say?

Post your IT problem and, rather like Sherlock in the recent series, if it is interesting enough we might give it some thought. If it is boring we won't.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:39 am

Kilkis wrote:Post your IT problem and, rather like Sherlock in the recent series, if it is interesting enough we might give it some thought. If it is boring we won't.

I would expect nothing less. It's decidedly odd, but you might still find it boring...... Look for "Browser problem" under Computers, TV etc etc. later on today.

Filippos, your "lad" will probably know exactly what it is.

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:41 pm

YoMo2 wrote:Filippos, your "lad" will probably know exactly what it is.

You're probably right. If there's no solution in a day or two I'll call him again. No point just now as he's disappeared for a few days, as he is wont to do.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:54 pm

filippos wrote:
YoMo2 wrote:Filippos, your "lad" will probably know exactly what it is.

You're probably right. If there's no solution in a day or two I'll call him again. No point just now as he's disappeared for a few days, as he is wont to do.

Great. I'd be really grateful if he comes up with something.

Andrew

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”