Browser problem

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
YoMo2

Browser problem

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 am

Can anyone help with a very odd problem I am experiencing with a certain website? The problem is probably with my PC rather than the website, but you may be able to suggest where I should be looking to fix it, based on the following description of the problem.

A user accesses www.marinetraffic.com A map of the world is shown with ship icons representing the positions of marine traffic. Zoom in for best view. Single click on a ship icon. A pop-up displays showing more details about the ship in question.

You should be able to close the pop-up and then click in turn on any number of ships and have their details displayed. I'm guessing you will find this works just fine.

In my case, after clicking in turn on two vessels to get the vessel details pop-up, the third and subsequent requests are ignored.

However, if while still in the Live Map, I select, say, Photos from the top menu bar, and then return to the Live Map, the sequence starts again. The first two vessel detail requests are executed, then the third and subsequent requests are ignored.

This was not happening a few weeks, (months?), ago. I have made no significant changes to the PC that I can think of, but of course, these days, stuff is happening behind the scenes all the time....

This happens on my desktop PC. OS is Windows 7. This behaviour is common to Firefox, Chrome, and IE. All latest versions. I have tried disabling adblockers and other extensions, but nothing seems to help.

The check box for blocking pop-ups is unchecked.

On another computer, my laptop, again Windows 7, everything works normally. The vessel details pop-up is shown however many times you request it in one session.

The errant behaviour happens regardless of whether I am logged in to MarineTraffic as a registered user or just as a guest.

This is probably also relevant. On my desktop PC, when I go to the MarineTraffic Support site and click on “Login” absolutely nothing happens.

If I do that on the laptop, I get the User Name and Password fields displayed as you would expect.

Clearly something is stopping me properly accessing certain parts of the MarineTraffic website. I've not noticed anything similar on other websites.

Any ideas where I should look for a setting that's gone wrong? Or any ideas of any kind? I have of course contacted Marine Traffic for support, but as yet they have failed to diagnose the problem. I haven't yet told them it only happens on one computer, as I'm pretty sure they will walk away when they hear that.....

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Re: Browser problem

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 am

I'm using Firefox 51.0.1 on Windows 10 and it works fine for me. I went to the site but didn't log on as I am not a registered user. I clicked on 6 random ships and they all popped up correctly.

The site certainly makes use of cookies. I have cookies blocked and only allow them for defined sites. When I first went to the Marine Traffic web site no ships were showing at all. When I allowed cookies for Marine Traffic and refreshed the site they all appeared as if by magic. You could try closing the Marine Traffic tab, look through the stored cookies and delete any that are from Marine Traffic. When you go to the site again it will be like a new user. I doubt if it will solve your problem but worth a try.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks Warwick. I'd already deleted cookies and cleared the browser cache, but I did it again anyway, but no luck, as you predicted. Thanks for looking though.

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:44 pm

I only have Marine Traffic on my PC as not yet set up on new laptop so not known if that displays as the PC.

My OS, browser & version are the same as Warwick's and everything works as it should. On "live map" after opening the 1st pop-up I don't need to close it before clicking another ship icon: with any pop-up showing clicking another ship icon automatically closes the preceding one. Unlike W, I don't block cookies but do clear them every now and again. I also have some sites, of which MT is one, to which login is automatic. As far as I know the site is working precisely as (I assume) intended.

When I'm signed in, if I go to the 'Help Centre' the landing page has a 'Sign in' button and clicking that changes nothing for a few seconds after which 'Sign in' is replaced by my name, i.e. it's auto sign in to 'Help' if logged in to the main site. As my initial login is automatic, without deleting that process, I can't check if 'Help Centre' can even be reached as a guest site user.

As everything seems to be hunkey dorey on the laptop have you checked that your PC browser setting are identical? If not it might be worth doing and if there are variations change the PC browser setting to match. I've occasionally had my browser(s) not doing things as expected and check against 'Er Indoors' settings as she never changes anything from 'as installed'. Sometimes that has produced a solution.
Not very helpful I suspect. Sorry.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:05 am

Filippos, many thanks for that. I had thought about checking all the settings on the laptop against the desktop, as you suggest, but have been putting it off as it will be tedious. There are so many settings to go through! But it's a good idea, and I will try that next.

On second thoughts, is it likely that there will be the exact same disparity between all three browsers I have tried? Surely, it must be something else that is affecting the browser behaviour?

Cheers

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:21 am

YoMo2 wrote:On second thoughts, is it likely that there will be the exact same disparity between all three browsers I have tried? Surely, it must be something else that is affecting the browser behaviour?

True, the odds are strongly against a problem* common to three browsers being caused by the same aberrant browser setting unless, of course, the settings in all of them have been changed either automatically or manually. I'd guess you haven't changed them recently: why would you if they had been working as you wanted?

It seems unlikely to be a problem with the web site as that's working as expected on your laptop, and for other people with similar systems. That suggests that the problem is with the OS or, possibly, a minor conflict with another program. Have you installed any new programs or updated any recently? If that's a 'no' to both that leaves the OS. If it's 'yes' you could try uninstalling the program and test Marine Traffic. If it's fixed you know who might be able sort the problem.

Have any Windows updates been added to the PC that haven't hit the laptop yet? It's not unheard of for MS to provide, say, a security update that has some obscure bug that gets fixed a couple of updates later after lots of users have complained. If it's a glitch in Win 7 cross fingers and wait for MS to fix it; with nudges, of course. If, if, if, it's an OS problem change you Win update settings to block updates for a while.

* Some unlikely things do happen. I have three hard drives in my PC, a SSD for OS and programs and two HDDs for data storage. These things, especially SSDs rarely go wrong. The SSD, only two years old failed just before Christmas and in mid-Jan both HDDs failed within 30 minutes of one another. Long odds on that happening.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:17 pm

This is starting to really get on my nerves. I decided to reinstall Firefox, by deleting everything to do with the old installation. Obviously a desperate which has been richly punished by not being able to reimport the bookmarks I exported before deleting Firefox. So now I'm wrestling with that as well. Of course it failed to fix the original problem which still persists.

Good job I'm retired, although I do have better things to do......

Andrew

George

Postby George » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Can you run the program if you use the safe start with networking option from the boot menu? If so, it might help to narrow down the options. Are there different programs on the two computers as this might also help in identifying the cause.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:44 am

Hi George. I will try the safe mode idea, but I'm not optimistic. Your other thought doesn't help as there is a huge disparity between the two computers so if it is some sort of conflict I will never narrow it down. The desktop has probably 20 or 30 extra programmes on it.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:30 am

I think that you have to accept that there are some problems that you never get to the bottom of.

Speedtest.net has recently stopped working for me on Firefox and I have no idea why. It always used to work but now it loads the web page but the thing that looks a bit like a laptop in the centre of the screen with the map, the servers and a begin button just doesn't appear. It works perfectly on Edge. When I was investigating why it doesn't work on one occasion I used it on Edge and then tried it on Firefox and it seemed to be working but it didn't function correctly. Since then back to the grey central part of the screen.

On the BBC News web site sometimes video clips embedded in news articles play and sometimes they don't. Again no idea why. The clip just appears as a black box with no picture and no play button. A similar thing sometimes happens with programmes on BBC Radio iPlayer. Sometimes I load a programme and it looks fine except there is no play icon. Often iPlayer offers different routes to the same programme and accessing it one way will work while accessing it another won't. Neither problem is consistent. Look at an article and some clips don't work. Look at the same article again and they work.

I spent a fair part of my life debugging software and I intend to spend as little as possible of what is left doing the same. If you can work round it, e.g. using the laptop to access that site, then give up trying to solve the problem on the desktop. As my son frequently says, "Σκατά συμβαίνει."

Warwick

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Probably irrelevant, but is it presumed you at some stage "restarted" or were required to "restart" your computer ? Trying this is sometimes forgotten, but is the unlikely solution to numerous unfathomable problems .....

Wintersid

Postby Wintersid » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Just a thought Andrew, have you tried deleting all temp files. You can do this by deleting everything in the 'c:/windows/temp' folder. Just go to the folder highlight everything (Press Ctrl + A) and delete. You may have some files you cannot delete as they will be currently in use, these can be skipped.

Remember to remove all deleted files from the recycled bin. May not work but always worth a try!

Sid
Sid Winter

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:57 am

Warwick, like you I don't really want to spend any more of my life wrestling with intransigent software. Already done way too much, so yes, I will probably just give up soon. I just hate not to be able to get to the botoom of things. I finally sorted out the Firefox bookmarks issue. Won't bore you with the details, but involved a programmer's view of the world versus a user's view of the world.....

Sandboy2, yes many restarts - no effect at all.

Wintersid, only 2 files in that folder, both with todays date on, so I'm not going to delete those. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:23 pm

Andrew, I went through all the suggestions on here with sonny boy who concluded that he can't think of anything else likely to be helpful. He concluded his best advice had already been stated by Warwick. Live with it; use the laptop for the ships map but check on the PC periodically as one day it might start working as intended, exactly as it stopped working for no apparent reason.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:02 am

filippos wrote:Andrew, I went through all the suggestions on here with sonny boy who concluded that he can't think of anything else likely to be helpful. He concluded his best advice had already been stated by Warwick. Live with it; use the laptop for the ships map but check on the PC periodically as one day it might start working as intended, exactly as it stopped working for no apparent reason.

I'm still trying to get help through various forums but no real joy. I'll just have to live with it for now. No option. As you say, one day it will just start working again.

Thanks for trying and sorry to waste your son's time.

Or maybe I should move to Windows 10...............

Andrew

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”