Browser problem

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Re: Browser problem

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:24 am

Windows 10 works fine for me. I have one problem but I don't think that is specifically Windows 10 related. Sometimes when the PC wakes from sleep mode it crashes because of some corrupt information. It is not consistent and the corrupted process varies. I didn't have the problem with Windows 7 but that was because it wouldn't go into sleep mode in Windows 7. It would try but immediately wake up.

Having left it until now, Andrew, you will have to pay for Windows 10 licences if you do decide to update. It was only free for the first 12 months.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:22 am

YoMo2 wrote:Or maybe I should move to Windows 10...............
I was quite reluctant to change from Win 7 and didn't do so until about two days before the free upgrade offer expired. I talked to quite a few Win 10 users beforehand, both computer savvy geeks and others less knowledgeable (including one or two who struggle to find the PC 'On' switch).

The learning curve was a long, long 30 minutes most of which was finding how to turn off a few features that come by default and I knew I didn't want or would find irritating. Essentially, on a PC, it just works very much like 7 but faster.

I haven't encountered any problem with Win 10 and can't comment on Warwick's "waking" issue as my PC isn't set for sleep: it gets turned on when I get up and off when I go to bed. Until recently (late Jan) our laptop ran Win 7 until we bought a Windows Surface Book (in my view, after limited use, an excellent bit of kit) which, so far, has been 'on' or 'off' but had no 'sleep'.

When I switched the PC Theo at X-file (computer shop in Kalyves) advised a clean install rather than MS auto-upgrade from 7 and I took his advice. Since changing I've had no problem from the OS.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:44 pm

If you are interested in Windows 10, Andrew, you can pick up a licence key fairly cheaply on ebay. It is an OEM key so you would need to download Windows 10 installation from Microsoft and do a fresh installation. It's a pretty low risk purchase even if it doesn't work. Note that there are plenty of other examples at a similar price.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks, Warwick. I had spotted Kinguin and was mulling it over. Didn't know that keys were so widely available. I think I saw Retail keys somewhere; would that be better or worse. Support would be better on a Retail key would it not?

Or maybe just let the guy who built my PC do the install. He has previously advised waiting for Windows 10 to "settle", and assured me he would "take care of it"...... Hopefully at a sensible price. I'll call him first.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:44 am

I would guess a retail key would be better. Also letting the guy who built the PC do it is always a good option. Unfortunately the guy who built mine is a real miserable old git.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes, the guy who used to build mine in the past has also become too tetchy in his old age to be bothered with the minefield that has become the Windows PC environment......

I hadn't checked eBay prior to my last post, but I now see that the price of these keys is unbelievably low. Presumably, MS only charge real OEMs about a dollar for a key, so they can resell them at silly prices and make incremental profit.

Andrew

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:10 am

Still using the old XP - as reliable as ever, even if unsupported now. !
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:34 am

YoMo2 wrote:Yes, the guy who used to build mine in the past has also become too tetchy in his old age to be bothered with the minefield that has become the Windows PC environment......

Minefield? I've been a Windows user since Win 3. Through XP to Win 10 I've had no problems with the OS except for the awful millennium edition - I still don't understand why I persisted with it for a month before reverting and I avoided Win 8/8.1 entirely. Apart from that I've found the system to be trouble free and I do like Win 10.

One expert I know well, a devoted Mac user who also uses PCs as many of his clients do, reckons that Windows is now a match for Mac OS.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 am

bobscott wrote:Still using the old XP - as reliable as ever, even if unsupported now. !

I'd probably still be using XP if I hadn't replaced a dead PC with one "of the shelf" with the then current OEM Windows installed. For the last 20+ years I've had new machines built to spec: I get what I need (future proofed as much as possible, e.g. more RAM than currently needed etc.) much cheaper than buying at normal retail plus, if it goes wrong, I can dump it on the builder's workbench.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:25 pm

If you spec it correctly you can easily get 10 years or more out of a PC with no significant loss of performance despite all the software putting on even more weight than I do in the same period. If you plot "performance" against cost for each component they all tend to exhibit a hockey stick curve where cost rises relatively slowly with increasing performance until you get close to current state-of-the-art when it rises very rapidly. Buy the parts that are just where the curve starts to kick up and you get the best cost-performance balance you can get. "Performance" typically means different things for different components.

Personally I tend to build my own now although I have had them built for me in the past. Apart from a laptop I've never bought off-the-shelf and even then I had a say in the spec. It isn't difficult to build a PC but, because it isn't difficult, it doesn't really cost much to get someone to do it for you. Also the person building it will often load it with whatever software you want at virtually no extra cost. Probably not entirely kosher so it depends on your ethics.

Warwick

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Yomo2 get outta the house man ....... that computer is about to blow !!!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Getting back to the original problem, I've just bee re-contacted by the MarineTraffic helpdesk in Athens.......... Probably as a result of me asking for the problem to be elevated to the techie boys.

Having cut me loose about a week ago when they realised, (assumed?), the problem was unique to me, they are now asking me for a list of plug-ins and add-ons on my browser and my OS. Most of which I've already told them but whatever.

Let's see what happens next. I'd love this to be sorted out because I just know the cause of the problem is going to be something to dine out on.

Andrew

paul g

Postby paul g » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:39 pm

just thought I'd try mine out, hadn't noticed it before, but it behaves just as yours but I'm using Win 10 and Edge, when I use Chrome it's fine.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:50 pm

Just to add to the puzzle, I just tried it with Edge and it works well. Click on any number of icons and the pop-up appears as the previous one closes. It worked on 20 consecutive ships before I became bored.

P.S. As said previously it works fine with Firefox, too.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm

paul g wrote:just thought I'd try mine out, hadn't noticed it before, but it behaves just as yours but I'm using Win 10 and Edge, when I use Chrome it's fine.

Finally, someone else can reproduce the problem!! I am so excited. Doesn't take much, I know.

The tech support guys have just let me into a little secret. If I go to MT and when I'm in the Live Map, press F12, this gives me a console window. I can then reproduce my problem and send them the error message which comes up. Why they didn't ask me to do this before I have no idea?

Do any of you guys get a console window after hitting F12, or have they just enabled it for me? I don't even know if that is possible....

Andrew

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”