Browser problem

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Re: Browser problem

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Yes, I get a console window below the map if I press F12.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Try hitting f12 while viewing this page and the console appears at the bottom taking up about 25-20% of the height. Hit f12 again to close the console. I guess it's a standard browser facility - at least the same happens in MS Edge. (I'm using Firefox).

For anyone unaware, pressing f11 switches the browser to full page mode. f11 hit again returns the window to the previous size.
Hold down the Control key and press + on the numeric keypad and each press increases the size of text in the window. Control with - (minus on numeric keypad) has the reverse effect. For quick return to the original default text size its Control and zero.

I find changing the text size temporarily (and quickly) like this useful on pages that use a small size font that's difficult for old eyes to read.
Last edited by filippos on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Well, live and learn. I wasn't aware of the F12 key bringing up a console window. Works in Facebook, YouTube, even Living in Crete.

So the error message I get in the console when I try for the third and subsequent set of ship details is:

"TypeError: googletag.pubads is not a function" That sounds to me like a coding error somewhere. Any thoughts? If you Google it, it seems to be something to do with ads being shown to the user.

I've heard nothing back from the tech support guys since supplying a screen shot of the error message. Obviously given them something to ponder....

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 pm

paul g wrote:just thought I'd try mine out, hadn't noticed it before, but it behaves just as yours but I'm using Win 10 and Edge, when I use Chrome it's fine.
This is exactly the same? So it shows the first two ships, then no more?

I want to pass this on to the techs, because they insist I am the only person in the world who is affected.

Andrew

Alf

Postby Alf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Having left it until now, Andrew, you will have to pay for Windows 10 licences if you do decide to update. It was only free for the first 12 months.

Warwick

Windows 10 upgrade is still free for users of assistive technologies.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessi ... s10upgrade

I'm told that there is no check to see if you really are using assistive technologies.

Trev

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:02 pm

I wasn't aware of that exception, Alf. Strange that they don't check? The assistive technologies referred to are all third party software or devices so I would have thought it would be relatively easy for Microsoft to check if any were really installed on your machine before activating the upgrade. During activation they scan many things on your PC in order to build up a fingerprint that they can use in the future if you try to activate Windows 10 again, e.g. after a clean install. This allows them to check that you are not installing it on another machine. If you are activating for free, because you are using assistive technologies, I'm surprised that they don't search for the technologies being used and include it in the fingerprint.

Warwick

Alf

Postby Alf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:29 pm

When I said "there is no check" I meant that they don't bother to check not that they can't check.
It was my first post and I got it wrong :(

If I can find the magazine where I read about this I'll post what they said.
She who must be obeyed has tidied my computer room and I can find nothing

Trev

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Alf wrote:When I said "there is no check" I meant that they don't bother to check not that they can't check.
It was my first post and I got it wrong :(

Nothing wrong with your post, Trev. That was exactly what I thought you meant. I was just surprised that they don't.

Alf wrote:...She who must be obeyed has tidied my computer room and I can find nothing

Trev

Nobody to tidy mine up, which means it is in such a state I can never find anything either. Thou shalt not win.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Kilkis wrote:..................build up a fingerprint that they can use in the future if you try to activate Windows 10 again, e.g. after a clean install. This allows them to check that you are not installing it on another machine...............
This can be a pain if reinstalling after a machine failure, say a motherboard especially if you make another change like adding more RAM. This happened to me with Win 7 and my 'man wot fixes' couldn't persuade MS to re-activate the OS. After three calls I managed to persuade them and I got the feeling that was only because I was politely persistent.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:29 am

Alf wrote:Windows 10 upgrade is still free for users of assistive technologies.

It is also said that you can activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key from your previous installation. Sounds unlikely, but who knows?

Or you just install Windows 10 from media and keep skipping the nag warnings that will pop up regularly. Apparently, there is nothing to stop you installing Win 10 and using it this way. Not very convenient, and may not last for ever, but an option nevertheless.

Andrew

Alf

Postby Alf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:36 am

It seems that there are a few ways of getting windows 10 for free.

https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-th ... -for-free/

I read in a magazine, that I can't find just now, that some time soon Microsoft will make it free for everyone.
We shall see

Trev

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:53 am

Alf wrote:.............I read in a magazine, that I can't find just now, that some time soon Microsoft will make it free for everyone.
We shall see......
That wouldn't surprise me as that will encourage many people to not change to another OS and help to 'glue' corporate user to stick with the MS Office programs on the subscription basis. Advantages to said corporates? No expenditure on their capital account if they feel the need to update Office as subscriptions will switch to operational current account and if MS add features to any app/fix bugs etc the users get them immediately.

Adobe switched to the subscription model for Photoshop (and some other programs) a year or so ago. The full version of Photoshop is primarily used by professional designers and cost several hundred pounds. Now users pay a relatively small annual/monthly subscription and get every addition or improvement immediately without waiting until the next major upgrade - also costing hundreds - to be released.

The subscription model also makes it more difficult for your local computer supplier to provide pirated copies. In the case of Windows, if it become free why would anyone bother with a pirate copy?

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Seeking to make some recompense for an earlier unhelpful intervention on this posting, extensive researches have been embarked upon into resolving the error that you have been advised of. As you have found, no easy solution seems to be out there, and as one navigated the wilder shores of the internet, every hair a rope thread, every finger a stylus pen, at length a window presented itself depicting a strange ship, displaying no ensign and bearing no name, but flying in her cross-trees the code flag "U", indicating "you are making into danger". The safest link chanced upon before it became clear further quest for a solution may be unwise, indeed mentions you may have "to get your hands dirty" :

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-if-You-Can't ... ar-Website

The link is with regard to accessing a website rather than navigating one, and you seem to have already tried most of the suggestions, but may be of use. If you can crack this one you shall indeed deserve to dine out in style, your excellent local Meltemi Taverna looking out towards the Aegean Sea probably a fitting venue. Best wishes and regards, yours aye.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:51 am

Sandboy2, having digested, I think, your post, I have come to the conclusion that my best course of action will be to retire to the Meltemi with a large carafe of wine and a side order of raki.

But thanks for trying. :shock:

Andrew

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi Andrew,
I have the same situation, 2 ships and no more. It used to work fine here.

There are several more errors in the console that tells you it can not reach several domains. (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)
After digging a bit, i found the solution and it all works here now.
In my case it was the HOST file, i use that instead of a popup blocker to stop ads and spamdomains.
As soon as i renamed mine, the site works normal. And when i put it back, it gives me 2 clicks only.

If you use any firewall or Anti-virus with a firewall function, try to turn those off temporary.
As you mentioned you do not any popup blocker, so that can not be it.
Also try DNS settings, i have mine on google's dns (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and i do not use the providers dns.
If those steps do not help, check your HOST file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\host )
You could rename it to host1 and reload the website.
On default windows pc's the host file does not contain much entries.
100% sure the problem is caused by not being able to reach a site. They are using several scripts that are not on their own domain.
So in our case, something is/was blocking access to those.

If you can not solve it, am more then willing to have a look via Teamviewer, just give a shout in a PM and i will send you my phonenumber.
(am in Rethymno, so teamviewer is the most easy solution)

https://www.vesselfinder.com/ is the one i normally use, no errors on that one ;)
There is also http://shipfinder.co/ but shows lesser vessels.

Greets
Steve
ps Console is a function of the browsers and works on all websites. Can be very handy to solve problems.
pps HOST file: If a pc looks for a domain name, it will first check the host file for a entry of that domain. If the domain is not in there it will do a dns request to resolve the name into a IP address. In my file, all "bad" domains point to nothing so nothing gets loaded from them.
If someone else is interested in getting rid of ads, check http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
ppps Really strange that the helpdesk did not figure it out!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”