Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
tsambi
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 am
Location: Apokoronas

Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby tsambi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:49 am

Is there any cost to Greek mobile users when they receive calls or texts from a UK mobile in Greece that is using UK 'roaming' calls/texts?

Also, am I correct to assume that calls from a Greek mobile user to that UK mobile in Greece would be at International call rates for the Greek mobile user?

Many thanks

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:04 am

As far as I am aware, there has never been a charge for receiving calls on a mobile phone operating in its country of origin, e.g. a Greek phone inside Greece, no matter where the calls originate.

There used to be a charge for receiving calls and texts on a mobile operating outside its country of origin, e.g. a Greek phone in the UK, but within Europe that has now stopped. It can still apply outside the EU.

The charge for sending a call or texts to a foreign phone is the same wherever the receiving phone is, e.g. sending from a Greek mobile in Greece to a UK mobile in the UK or in Greece. The extra cost over sending calls or texts to another local mobile is now quite small. All roaming charges, calls, texts and data, should vanish altogether on 15 June 2017, although I am not sure that has been fully ratified across the whole EU.

Warwick

tsambi
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 am
Location: Apokoronas

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby tsambi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:52 am

Thank you for that, Warwick.

YoMo2
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:17 am

Not sure if this applies to all networks, but in my case if I send a text message from a roaming UK mobile, (in Greece), to a UK mobile it costs me 1p. If I send a text from my Greek mobile in Greece to the same UK mobile it costs 20 cents.......

Which is one of the reasons I have a dual SIM phone.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

peebee
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am
Location: Kalyves

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby peebee » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:23 am

YoMo2 wrote:Not sure if this applies to all networks, but in my case if I send a text message from a roaming UK mobile, (in Greece), to a UK mobile it costs me 1p. If I send a text from my Greek mobile in Greece to the same UK mobile it costs 20 cents.......

Which is one of the reasons I have a dual SIM phone.

Andrew

I have a dual sim phone too, O2 UK and Vodafone Greece.
Do you know if the price is still 1p, when sending from UK sim in Greece to a Greek mobile ?

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:23 am

I also have a dual SIM phone, Vodafone Greece and Virgin UK, both pay-as-you-go.

According to the text I received from Virgin, when I turned the phone on in Greece, it costs 4p/min for calls to any phone in the UK or Europe and 1p each for texts to any mobile in the UK or Europe. I've not checked this.

On the Vodafone SIM it cost me 30 cents to send a text to a UK mobile and 19 cents to a Greek mobile, based on the change in my balance after sending the text.

Warwick

scooby
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Agia Nr Chania

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby scooby » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Kilkis wrote:As far as I am aware, there has never been a charge for receiving calls on a mobile phone operating in its country of origin, e.g. a Greek phone inside Greece, no matter where the calls originate.

There used to be a charge for receiving calls and texts on a mobile operating outside its country of origin, e.g. a Greek phone in the UK, but within Europe that has now stopped. It can still apply outside the EU.

The charge for sending a call or texts to a foreign phone is the same wherever the receiving phone is, e.g. sending from a Greek mobile in Greece to a UK mobile in the UK or in Greece. The extra cost over sending calls or texts to another local mobile is now quite small. All roaming charges, calls, texts and data, should vanish altogether on 15 June 2017, although I am not sure that has been fully ratified across the whole EU.

Warwick
Bit baffled by the bit in bold. I think that if you receive a call and are outside home territory you will be charged.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

YoMo2
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Kilkis wrote:...........On the Vodafone SIM it cost me 30 cents to send a text to a UK mobile and 19 cents to a Greek mobile, based on the change in my balance after sending the text.


Like you, I have a Pay As You Go Virgin UK SIM, but my Greek Vodafone SIM is contract, which presumably accounts for the difference between 30 cents and 19/20 cents.

Either way, I guess we should always be using the UK SIM for any texting as it is so much cheaper. Rip-off Greece? I haven't tried it either as I don't actually do much texting..... Mostly Whatsapp from my wifi. Totally free to any destination.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:44 pm

scooby wrote:
Kilkis wrote:...There used to be a charge for receiving calls and texts on a mobile operating outside its country of origin, e.g. a Greek phone in the UK, but within Europe that has now stopped. It can still apply outside the EU....


Bit baffled by the bit in bold. I think that if you receive a call and are outside home territory you will be charged.


I believe my statement is correct. You certainly used to be charged for receiving calls outside your home territory. A friend ran up a bill of several hundred Euro in Israel back in 2000 allowing his colleagues to use his mobile to receive calls from family back home in Greece. That charge has now stopped within the EU but still applies outside the EU. For example I have a text message on my phone from Virgin Mobile UK:

    Welcome to Greece! Calls to UK and other EU countries cost 4p/min including a 4p/min surcharge and its 1p to send a text to a UK or EU mobile including a 1p surcharge. There is no charge to receive calls or texts...

Warwick

Mathitis
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Apokoronas

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby Mathitis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm with 'EE' in UK and the message I get on my UK mobile here is ....

"Welcome to Greece. Use your phone abroad to stay in touch with family and friends and enjoy our lowest rates ever! Get £3 for £2 which is enought to make an hour of calls and send 20 texts within the EU or you can mix and match however you like. Credit expires in 20 days ..................... Otherwise calls cost 4.4p/min to make, 1p/min to receive and 1.8p/min to send a text."

Hmmmmm??

scooby
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Agia Nr Chania

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby scooby » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:10 pm

A lot depends on which network you are with and if you are PAYG or subscription. I pay a penny a minute to receive a call from the UK, I am with EE on the Virgin PAYG tariff and 4p to make a call. Before the charges were capped and it was expensive to use your phone abroad people used to send a picture message instead of a text as it was free! Either way nowadays it's nothing to get in a sweat about, data is cheap to buy etc.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 pm

I still use a Virgin PAYG tariff that I bought donkeys' years ago because the credit never expires, which is quite important if you only use it when you visit the UK. I've still got around £15 credit of a £20 top up that I bought a couple of years ago. When I joined Virgin, on some other networks not only did credit expire if you didn't use it but the SIM also got suspended. I have no idea if the same tariff is available to new customers today or why it is different from Scooby's Virgin PAYG.

I'm not sure why your texts are charged per minute, Mathitis? They are usually charged per text.

Warwick

Mathitis
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Apokoronas

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby Mathitis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:51 am

Thx Warwick - it is indeed 1.8p per text (PAYG).

Sloppy transcription on my part from tiny 'non smartphone' screen - distracted with all the scrolling up n down!!!! :oops:

scooby
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Agia Nr Chania

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby scooby » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:49 am

I am with EE, (Orange merged with T-Mobile to form EE), I was with Orange and at the end of my contract they matched the Virgin tariff and I never have to top up as it is on direct debit which is ideal. If anyone has had a new sim or upgraded since June 2016 (I think) they will have the new terms and conditions which may include no charge for receiving calls abroad. I think as of June 2017 it comes in automatic.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Greek mobiles receiving & sending to UK 'roaming' mobile

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:49 am

scooby wrote:I am with EE, (Orange merged with T-Mobile to form EE), I was with Orange and at the end of my contract they matched the Virgin tariff and I never have to top up as it is on direct debit which is ideal. If anyone has had a new sim or upgraded since June 2016 (I think) they will have the new terms and conditions which may include no charge for receiving calls abroad. I think as of June 2017 it comes in automatic.


I signed up directly with Virgin mobile some time back in the early 2000s and have been on the same PAYG deal ever since. I did change SIM in 2013 when I went from a basic mobile phone to a dual SIM smart phone but the phone number and deal didn't change. Since you are paying to receive calls and I am not it would appear that Orange didn't really "match the Virgin Tariff"? Perhaps worth asking EE why not? Mine is not on direct debit so I have to top up but I can do that on-line so no real hassle.

Warwick


Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests