Apple Mac Users BBC/ITV

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
SatCure

Apple Mac Users BBC/ITV

Postby SatCure » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:11 pm

The Get iPlayer Automator software has been rewritten to cope with BBC and ITV format changes. So you can download programmes again. It's especially handy if you have a slow broadband connection (unsuitable for streaming) or if a programme is broadcast too late to watch live (or if you miss it).

You can download version 1.9.1 here:
https://github.com/Ascoware/get-iplayer-automator/releases/tag/1.9.1

Click on "Get.iPlayer.Automator.app.zip"
Unzip the new file Get.iPlayer.Automator.app.zip
Drag the new Get iPlayer Automator.app into your "Applications" folder.
(Allow it to replace the existing file, if any.)

You will need a VPN connection to download programmes but you can see the list without. Simply type a space character in the search bar and press Return. It's rather slow and takes several minutes to produce the list of available programmes.

Yin&Yang

Re: Apple Mac Users BBC/ITV

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:28 am

Thank you; I will try this :)
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Can someone with more computer savvy than me explain ? ...I use I player for BBC stuff, and the only change I have noticed is you now have to register with the BBC ... "So we can personalise your listening pleasure "... so what are the "format changes " and when will they happen ?..jeff

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:46 pm

BBC iPlayer is an App issued by the BBC purely to allow you to view BBC content online. The BBC would automatically update your BBC iPlayer App if there were format changes that made it incompatible.

Get iPlayer Automator is a third party App, by Ascoware, to allow iOS based devices to access UK TV such as BBC and ITV by downloading programmes and then playing them. Because it is third party it would not necessarily update to match BBC specific changes. You need to update to the latest version yourself IF you are using this specific App.

I think?

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Kilkis wrote:Get iPlayer Automator is a third party App, by Ascoware, to allow iOS based devices to access UK TV such as BBC and ITV by downloading programmes and then playing them.

No, it doesn't play them and it works only on a Mac running OSX, not on any iOS device.

It downloads BBC iPlayer and ITV player programmes and converts them "on the fly" to MP4 files. You can watch the programmes on any device that can handle such video files. Unlike iPlayer files, they do not have an expiry date. But the main advantage is that it doesn't matter how slow your broadband connection is. You wait for the download to finish then watch immediately (or later). No "buffering". You do need a VPN connection to download outside the UK.

There is a Windows version called Get iPlayer but I know nothing about it.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”