Teenagers & Internet

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
PaulaJ

Teenagers & Internet

Postby PaulaJ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am

My family and I will be going to Crete for 3 weeks soon and want to find out if we can purchase some sort of extra bundle/package so they can use wifi on their phones whenever they wish. The area we will be spending much of our time in has limited data per month so is used sparingly, so not good enough for my daughters who want to be able to use it whenever... Can we purchase something like this in the UK before we go, on top of their normal usage? Don't want bored teenagers!!

Danny

Re: Teenagers & Internet

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Leave them at home !

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:38 pm

I think you will find that if you don't have a good, stable internet connection ..it will be because the infrastructure local to you will not support it. However most cafe's and Bars have free WIFI fine for Face book and stuff life that ... if you want a private connection a stand alone satellite connection is a way around ...not really worth it for a short stay ... There are many people on this site with good technical knowledge ... best of luck with it ...jeff

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:59 pm

I know several café and taverna owners who would like to give up their wi-fi but, because every place offers it, daren't do so because of the risk of losing business. Their main complaint is the downright ignorance of customers (of all ages) who plank themselves at a table and demand the wi-fi password before they even say hello -and, apparently, many never do. Then, they keep the staff waiting to take their order while they finish a Facebook post or e-mail a picture to a friend at home and that behaviour continues throughout a meal. In extreme cases some people complain if a waiter/waitress dares to disturbs them by putting plates or drinks on the table. I'm told this rudeness isn't limited to younger generations with a good number in the 45-60 age group being some of the worst offenders.
I'm still struggling to believe that I have actually seen people sending texts to one another on opposite sides of a table. To think that these websites have been designated 'social' media.
You never know, if these addicts left their 'devices' at home they might enjoy a holiday and learn something about the places and cultures they visit as well as having a good time.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Yeah good point Filipos , If I go to a cafe or bar I leave phone and tablet things in the house or car .. cos, I want to eat or have a drink with friends ....

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 pm

As the UK is still part of the EU you can now (since the middle of June 2017) use your "home" phone package for roaming within the EU at no extra cost. If you think that you will need to use more data on your holiday it's probably simpler to get an additional package with your normal provider.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Yes but in many areas of Crete there is no signal , in my village the Mobile phones are useless for anything other than a text message ...and the land line just about works for a phone call if it's not too windy.....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Jean wrote:As the UK is still part of the EU you can now (since the middle of June 2017) use your "home" phone package for roaming within the EU at no extra cost. If you think that you will need to use more data on your holiday it's probably simpler to get an additional package with your normal provider.

While this is completely true, most UK mobile companies exercise a "fair usage" policy. Basically it means that they can arbitrarily decide that the amount of data you are using is not "fair" and cap the usage or reduce the speed. This happens on "unlimited" landline broadband connections as well as mobile broadband in the UK. It wouldn't surprise me if they judged that the UK data package was intended for use in the UK and so excessive usage outside the UK was not "fair". I don't know at what point they would make that judgement. I guess it would be a balance between not incurring too much cost and not incurring the wrath of the Commission. I would imagine somebody here on holiday for a couple of weeks would be OK but if an ex-pat living here permanently decided that the end of roaming made it economical to have an unlimited mobile broadband package in the UK and use that continuously here they would hit the "fair usage" limit quite quickly.

Warwick

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 am

Yes the current tendency for teenagers to be tethered to their mobiles being "inescapable" ( with the rest of us not too far behind ) so shall try to assist whilst not encourage. As already advised the recent new Roaming situation may be timely in your case, but your daughters must find out precisely what their allowance is whilst abroad or as mentioned obtain an enhanced package before leaving, otherwise this may turn into a very costly holiday. Streaming any sort of tv or video is extremely high in data usage, also skype video and even radio using a surprisingly high amount.

One local "bundle" is from the company Wind ( type "wind.gr in English" into Google ), look for Mobile Broadband and then for "Simplefi on the Go without contract" 18 Euros for 3G ( usage is immediate and should cover all normal surfing for 3 weeks, there is an easy way to check data total used and an alarm sounding when near depletion ) usable for 90 days, this can also be topped up online or with voucher a limited number of times during a one month period. Please note your daughters shall need unlocked phones for the Greek sim to go in, and they shall need someone with a Greek tax number to purchase each package - this cannot be posted to UK so best probably collected and installed in the shop - maybe you or your daughters telephone the shop local to you in advance to check all this. The staff in these shops are usually very good looking, totally on the ball young people - so your daughters may indeed spend most of their time during the stay actually at the shop - solving all your problems .....

PaulaJ

Postby PaulaJ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 am

Danny, don't tempt me!!

PaulaJ

Postby PaulaJ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 am

Filippos, I totally agree.. It'd be nice to actually have a conversation with them sometimes and not having them pretending to listen whilst still staring at a screen! At the same time I don't want them ruining our well earned holiday by saying they are bored! Also, how rude is that.. when going to a taverna and complaining about disturbance when bringing meals, drinks to the table etc. very ignorant! I think I'd accidentally on purpose forget the wifi code!!

Jeffstclair, Jean thanks for the comments/advice.

Sandboy2, thanks for the advice on the local bundle and whilst we do have Greek tax number, the girls won't be downloading tv or films, its just Facebook, Instagram etc. and music which they already have on their phones! Think we'll check our their usage abroad and maybe get a couple of UK add ons before we go! Yes, might just get them to check out the talent in the phone shop and let them know what time we'll collect them haha!!

A visit to the EE shop is required me thinks!

Thanks for all your help!

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:06 pm

No magic answer to the question, however I must agree that it's not just the teenagers, I know people in their 50,s and 60,s who will happily spend all day on facebook etc with their imaginary friends.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Or on YouTube or football forums?

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:18 pm

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Kilkis wrote:Or on YouTube or football forums?

Warwick
Certainly not all day. I would say I spend half an hour on you tube a week and football forum 1 hour a week.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”