Forum Issues - tech help?

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Carolina
Site Admin

Forum Issues - tech help?

Postby Carolina » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Do any members have experience of phpBB boards to help on technical issues with the database here on the forum? There are a few glitches going on.

SatCure

Re: Forum Issues - tech help?

Postby SatCure » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 pm

I ran a PHPbb forum for a while but my knowledge of PHP script is minimal. I know enough to be dangerous!

Whenever I had problems, I contacted* my ISP, and the Techs were always very helpful.
Mine was hosted with www.betterwebspace.com

* Or, as Americans would say, "I reached out to my ISP". :wink:

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks for your reply SatCure. No point 'reaching out to my ISP' as they are hopeless and do not provide support for phpbb, but a forum member has been in touch via private message and I seem to have the issues sorted for now :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 pm

I could be wrong but I suspect the main underlying problem could be the white "Y" in a purple square?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:02 am

That problem may be resolved when the new owners have had some time to improve systems.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:43 am

I find it fairly unclear which parts of Yahoo have gone to Verizon and which have stayed with Yahoo. Articles tend to talk about Verizon acquiring "Yahoo's core internet business" but, as far as I am aware, all Yahoos business is based around the internet. Will hosting phpBB bulletin boards go to Verizon or stay with Yahoo? If it does move, will Verizon make a better job of it? Will Carol relocate the forum to a different hosting site? I have no idea. Recently the Yahoo logo disappeared from my bookmark for a time, which made me think a change of some sort had occurred, but now it has returned. What that might signify I also have no idea.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti Yahoo. I think their search engine is sometimes orders of magnitude better than Google now but they certainly did a pretty poor job of resolving problems with the forum and the security of their email service is execrable.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”