TV / digital Radio

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
garyw

TV / digital Radio

Postby garyw » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 am

Hi all apologies if this has been asked before but we are moving to Crete, is it worth bringing our TV and digital radio, will they work?
Thanks
Gary

Kilkis

Re: TV / digital Radio

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Regarding watching Greek TV, most (all?) TV channels on Crete are now broadcast digitally, I think using DVB-T2 so if your UK TV has a recent digital tuner it should work in Greece. I am pretty sure it uses MPEG-4 coding. Some early digital tuners could only decode MPEG-2 and there were a couple of Greek channels that used that standard. I am not sure if they are still live. The signal is not good in some areas.

If you want to watch UK TV streamed over the internet you will probably be better with a set top box. Although many TVs will now receive streamed UK TV directly it might be difficult to set up a VPN directly on the TV and UK stations like the BBC and ITV will refuse to stream to a Greek IP address. Kodi boxes are popular although I use a paid for service Expat Vision. Other services are available.

Technically a digital radio should work in Greece BUT I am not sure what the situation is regarding digital broadcasts as I cannot find up-to-date information. Retailers in Greece are selling digital radios so I presume it is either here or coming but they all seem to act as FM radios as well so perhaps it is just future proofing. See for example this Scrooge listing. If it does exist then it is almost certainly DAB+ rather than DAB so check your specification.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Kilkis wrote:Technically a digital radio should work in Greece BUT I am not sure what the situation is regarding digital broadcasts as I cannot find up-to-date information.

From - Wikipedia -02/08/17:

There is interest in the DAB family of standards in Greece and, although no services are on air, DAB radios are available in many shops.

Frequency planning has allocated a national multiplex and one for each of Greece’s nine regions. It is likely that when Greece does progress with its digital radio roll out it will use DAB+

I kept a UK DAB radio for many years before realising that it was never going to pick up a signal - it has since been repatriated for a more useful life.
----
Phil
----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:27 pm

While the Wikipedia article states: "This page was last edited on 25 June 2017, at 16:43", that is not true of the Greek information. If you look at the Wikipedia article it references http://www.worlddab.org/country-information/greece as the source of the Greek information and if you look at that reference the text is identical to that in the Wikipedia article. It states that it was last updated: 01-10-2013, hence my remark that I cannot find up-to-date information.

Personally I can't think of a use for DAB. If I want radio in the house I can get millions of stations streamed over the internet. If I want it in the car I can get FM stations playing western style music. What purpose would DAB serve?

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Kilkis wrote:... It states that it was last updated: 01-10-2013, hence my remark that I cannot find up-to-date information.

Not a personal attack on the quality of your information Warwick, I was just pointing to the latest information - and considering the state Greece is in, it's likely to stay the latest information for the foreseeable future.
:(
----

Phil

----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:28 pm

I didn't take it as an attack, Phil. Just clarifying the discrepancy on the dates that the information relates to.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Kilkis wrote:What purpose would DAB serve?

I assume that was a hypothetical question but, for those who didn't know, the original purpose was to free up the "VHF/FM" band of frequencies for other, more lucrative, uses. DAB was designed to use as little bandwidth as possible. Unfortunately, the original DAB standard for data compression was so poor that the resultant audio is poor. DAB+ is better but not as good as FM radio. This is why the UK still has FM radio services.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 pm

The comment you quoted does come on the end of a longer statement, Satcure, which starts with the word "Personally", i.e. in the context of the full statement it should be interpreted as "what purpose would DAB serve for me

While I fully support using the spectrum efficiently and effectively it doesn't seem very sensible to replace a fully functioning and much used frequency allocation with a completely useless substitute. The band is only from 87.5 to 108 MHz so not a massive saving given that DAB would still occupy some of it. I did a frequency allocation survey in northern Greece, with a view to setting up an open air test site for electromagnetic emissions measurements, and every single frequency had a station on it. Since it is packed with mostly commercial radio stations it must have some economic value so how big would any economic gain be?

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”