iPlayer

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
footscapes

Re: iPlayer

Postby footscapes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:59 pm

And just to update my earlier post, as of this afternoon, the UK and Southampton connections of Private Internet Access have been blocked by the BBC.

Paul

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 am

Also, according to the bods at Private Internet Access, C4 have just "geo-locked" their service making it impossible (??) to watch outside UK. I haven't had time to check out geo-locking, or possible loopholes, but...

Yesterday I had a visit from a Brit friend who lives in Estonia, and who claims regularly to have been watching UK TV, both live and on catch-up, via a free service called Hoxx. He said he has also been viewing happily while back in Greece.

He just sent me the link to it, and although I'm not likely to have time in the next couple of days to investigate further, I'll post the link in case anyone else wants to play with it. I only have aforesaid anecdotal evidence that it's safe.

https://www.google.gr/url?sa=t&source=w ... e9aMVKl0Yg

Sorry - geo-blocking not !ocking.
Last edited by Clio on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:40 am

Hoxx is another VPN Proxy site giving you a UK IP address. It seems to be configured to work on Chrome and claims that you need Chrome for some features to work.

For a desktop PC I don't see how C4 can know where you are in the world other than by your IP address. Providing you are careful never to connect to their service without the VPN turned on then you should be OK. Like any channel they can obviously search for IP addresses that are providing a VPN Proxy service and also block them but I can't think of any other magical method of "geo-locking". It is different for tablets and smart phones since they also typically have a GPS receiver so they may be able to tell your location even when you use a VPN. They can configure the App so that it will not work if you turn the GPS service off so it is then difficult to circumvent the lock.

Warwick

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi Clio

I’m sorry about your woes with PIA. I promise that when I posted on LIC on 21/8, I had just checked PIA’s London and Southampton servers with BBC and C4 and all was working fine. Unbelievably (timing wise), the BBC seems to have zapped it the very next day after my test. See this thread from the PIA user forum. Poster no. 1 reports shutdown by the BBC on 22/8 after 2 years prior trouble free use. This mirrors my own experience.

Your post suggests that you have been in touch with PIA regarding C4. I’m interested to know if this is because you tried PIA and found C4 blocked as well? It’s still fine for me with C4. About 10 minutes ago, I went to All 4, connected via PIA (both London and Southampton servers) and successfully watched an episode of “The State”. (Belt and braces, I also connected via PIA New York and couldn’t watch anything). There is probably a range of IP addresses within each PIA server, and the ones that worked for me were 104.238.169.40 (London) and 31.24.226.189 (Southampton). (You will only be able to cycle IP addresses by disconnecting/reconnecting, and there is no guarantee that this will give you a fresh IP address at any particular time).

I agree with Warwick that for a PC based connection, the provider can only identify/ban you based on IP address. The BBC in particular is being much more aggressive at identifying and banning VPN connections, probably by monitoring how many simultaneous connections are coming from one IP address. All providers (PIA, ExpatTelly, HotSpotShield, CyberGhost, Hoxx et al) are likely to be barred at some point or another, and the only path to resurrection will be a range of new, clean IP addresses. From the user forum, above, PIA seem to be positioning publicly that they won’t reconfigure their UK servers to give fresh IP addresses. I think that they will change their minds quite quickly in the face of lost subscriptions.

Given my track record following last week’s suggestion, I’m hesitant to try again, but here goes. Have you considered torrent downloads for your TV fix? When we were in Crete, we only had Arabsat (never a Sky subscription), and we got almost all of our TV from torrents. While torrent site numbers are dwindling, there are still several out there and a huge proportion of total UK TV output (both quality and dross) can be found. When I discovered yesterday that PIA had been clobbered by the BBC, I was trying to get an episode of “Normal for Norfolk” using get_iplayer. When I couldn’t, I went to a torrent site and 30 minutes later had the missing episode on a USB stick to plug in to the telly and watch later at leisure. I can’t believe that “Normal for Norfolk” is mainstream TV, but there were 2 separate versions (from 2 different uploaders) available. Some ISPs can be awkward about torrent downloads (either because of copyright concerns or bandwidth usage) and torrent traffic is easily identified by them, even behind a VPN, but from 10 years experience in Crete, OTE couldn’t care less. You can always try it out with no new costs and see if it works for you.

Again, I’m sorry about the timing of Auntie Beeb and the PIA VPN.

Paul

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:15 pm

I've used a torrent site here from time to time with no problem from OTENET. Obviously, as the financial sites always say, past performance is no guarantee of future performance. I used www.isohunt.to to find programmes but it no longer seems to be working. Perhaps worth recommending some alternatives, Paul. I also used Vuze to download them and that seemed to work quite well. I presume that is still working OK?

Warwick

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi Warwick

I'm still a fan of the original Swedish buccaneers. Despite their site being widely blocked by ISPs, it's fairly easily accessible via proxy sites in countries that haven't banned it. Proxies come and go, but one or more will work. Try https://proxybay.one/ for a list.

https://torrentz2.eu/ is also currently reliable, but a bit one clubbed on the search front.

My favourite, because of excellent search algorithms, was extratorrent, but it voluntarily closed earlier this year.

Of torrent clients, Vuze is fine, and I used it for a long time. Unfortunately, it stopped playing nicely with Private Internet Access and I couldn't work out why. I've since used http://www.utorrent.com/ which is fine with PIA, but it likes a couple of port forwarding settings tweaks (in both PIA and utorrent) for best results.

Paul

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:30 pm

Don't worry Paul - no way you could have known about imminent problems.

Your post suggests that you have been in touch with PIA regarding C4. I’m interested to know if this is because you tried PIA and found C4 blocked as well? It’s still fine for me with C4. About 10 minutes ago,

I signed up for a trial and did briefly get C4 before they blocked it. (Can it be that you are receiving loud and clear because you're in the UK, not outside? If that's so I'm a bit bemused as to why you're using a VPN...?)

Since I still have time to run on my expressVPN subscription I switched back to that and am now OK with BBC though not C4 as I expected. When toggling between the two services I have uninstalled (or tried to) the one I'm not using, which seemed sensible as
I thought they might clash.That was fine with expressvpn, which can be removed and reinstalled quickly and cleanly, but getting rid of the PIA program has been a real pain and it's still there. I have to disconnect every time I go online in order to use express satisfactorily. The IT lot have given me very unsatisfactory instructions about removing it completely.

I have no doubt I can sort it out when I have the time to spare, but the above leads me to a question. If, as I intend, I have a go with Hoxx and possibly Nordvpn as mentioned in the PIA forum, is it necessary to uninstall any other VPN, or will it be enough just to have it disconnected?

As regards torrents - not something I've ever used, and I've never quite understood how it works. As I'm presently working at the limits of technical knowledge and ability, not to mention energy, I think I'd better pass on that idea.

I think that the PIA forum members are right: we've had this sort of disruption before and generally after a bit we manage to regain our access by some means.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Having seen the hassles people have had during the last 16 years I think our decision to not have TV when we moved here has been fully vindicated. Neither of us missed having it for more than a couple of weeks (during which time we were probably too busy to watch anything anyway).

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:11 pm

Are you talking about internet access and being blocked from watching TV on BBC iplayer ,tvplayer.com and itv and channel four catch up because you are politely told you are not in the UK ? I had this problem and someone told me to download the Psiphon app.I downloaded the latest version Psiphon 3 and when prompted changed my location to the UK and then had no problems watching any British TV ,live or catch up.
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:13 pm

But when I look there is never anything on worth watching most nights !
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 pm

filippos wrote:Having seen the hassles people have had during the last 16 years I think our decision to not have TV when we moved here has been fully vindicated...

I haven't had any hassles at all. For many years I had a Sky contract and got a good selection of programmes. I now have an internet streaming service and get even more choice for less.

As far as I can see Psiphon 3 is just yet another VPN.

Torrents are just a way of accessing films and other programmes indirectly, Clio. All over the world people have stored programmes on their own PCs and allowed anybody else to access them. It is called a torrent because you could be downloading bits of the programme from lots of different people's computers. When you run a torrent client it also allows people to access things that you have downloaded so you become part of the torrent.

You need two things. First you need something that can search for sources of programmes. That is normally a web site that simply indexes where programmes are available. You put the name of the programme you want into a search engine and the web site puts up a list of sources for that programme. It sort of works like Google but for programmes. Second you need an application installed on your PC that can go to those sources and download the programme onto your computer. You click on one of the programmes listed and the application automatically launches and downloads that programmes. Its a bit like clicking on an online pdf file and Acrobat automatically launches and displays the document. Often the web site displaying possible sources will show how many people are offering it and how many of them are actively on line. It pays to choose a source where both numbers are high. Many people providing the files are in the USA so if you cannot find a source with a high number of active users you could just select one with a high number of potential users and they will come online as the USA wakes up.

It's not difficult. You won't find everything. You will certainly find high profile programmes like Game of Thrones but possibly not more niche UK programmes. I used it to download a lot of series that I then copied onto my tablet. I then watch them on whenever I am flying somewhere.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:25 am

Cundalini wrote:Are you talking about internet access and being blocked from watching TV on BBC iplayer ,tvplayer.com and itv and channel four catch up because you are politely told you are not in the UK ?

No; I not as old, stupid or technophobic enough to be unaware of the possibilities.
When we bought our house here in '98 we decided no TV and when we moved here permanently ('02) we decided to carry on without. We have never had a set here nor have we set up TV via internet. In February we had to visit the UK and didn't even think of switching on the wide-screen set in our hotel room. We prefer to spend our time on other things.

nuska

Postby nuska » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 am

Nothing is working for me - Hoxx, Psiphon, etc. Hotspot just keep sending the same old message, without actually fixing anything

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Clio

Clio wrote:.......

I signed up for a trial and did briefly get C4 before they blocked it. (Can it be that you are receiving loud and clear because you're in the UK, not outside? If that's so I'm a bit bemused as to why you're using a VPN...?)

No, we're outside the UK and I need a UK VPN to access geo - blocked TV services just like you. Looking at the PIA forum, as of 2 days ago, someone else was successfully using it to access C4 just as I did yesterday. See 3rd post down. The only thing I can think of is that at some point you have tried to access C4 without the UK VPN in place and they have delivered a cookie to you that is now saying "deny access" which sits on top of everything else. Finding and clearing this cookie might work, but it sounds as if it's just time to move on from PIA.

Clio wrote:

Since I still have time to run on my expressVPN subscription I switched back to that and am now OK with BBC though not C4 as I expected. When toggling between the two services I have uninstalled (or tried to) the one I'm not using, which seemed sensible as
I thought they might clash.That was fine with expressvpn, which can be removed and reinstalled quickly and cleanly, but getting rid of the PIA program has been a real pain and it's still there. I have to disconnect every time I go online in order to use express satisfactorily. The IT lot have given me very unsatisfactory instructions about removing it completely.

The "having to disconnect every time" sounds as if you have PIA settings set on "Start Application at Login" and it hasn't, for whatever reason, uninstalled properly. I don't have this ticked, and have to run PIA every time I want to use it. That said, uninstalling PIA should just get rid of all of this. I haven't had PIA installed alongside another VPN, so can't comment on any conflicts. There is an uninstaller program in the PIA folder. (For Win 10, click the Windows icon bottom left, scroll down to PIA, expand the folder and run "Uninstall Private Internet Access"). If this doesn't work, you can do it via Windows. (For Win 10, Windows icon bottom left, settings (the gearwheel), Apps (& wait for this to populate with program names), scroll down to "Private Internet Access Support Files", click this, then click "Uninstall").

If it's not going well, let me know what OS you are using, where you're up to, what the PIA bods have said & I'll try and help further.

PM me anything more rather than clog up this thread, but just post that you've PM'd.

Paul

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:17 pm

You're a gent. I'll pursue all that when and if the cosh lifts a bit in the next few days, and let you know.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”