Top up mobile phones from bank account?

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
alansmithnl

Top up mobile phones from bank account?

Postby alansmithnl » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Can any of you top up your mobile phone from your bank account? It's the done thing here, but last year when we were there, I bought around €10 for each of our phones. Needless to say, we didn't use a lot of it, but when we returned here, around 4 months later we got a message saying top up your phones, or you will lose the credit you already have.
Now I don't mind that, as it was an oversight on my part, but I don't have the facility here to top up the Greek phones with some credit.
Do you need a contract, or can it be done there on pay as you go type phones?
We are coming in September and then permanently in March next year.

Kathleen

Re: Top up mobile phones from bank account?

Postby Kathleen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:31 pm

I have a pay as you go account with VodaphoneGR. I am registered on line and can top up from UK as I wish. Usually just put the minimum 5€ on to keep things going in between visits over the winter.

Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:38 pm

With Vodafone you can register for an online account, which is linked to your phone number even on pay-as-you-go, at Vodafone Greece. The black "Sign into my account" button at top right has a drop down option to register. I'm not quite sure exactly what happens next because I think I set it up at a Vodafone shop. You might need to keep selecting English each time you jump to a new page. Once registered, you can then visit , sign into your account with the top right button, click on the e-top up tab, select an amount and pay with a credit card or PayPal. I don't know if it works with a debit card. Not sure if it works the same with Cosmote.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Kilkis wrote: I don't know if it works with a debit card. Not sure if it works the same with Cosmote.

Warwick

It certainly works with a Greek debit card - that's how I top up most of the time.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:29 pm

You don't say which network you are with, Alan, but as Kathleen, Warwick and altohb all confirm, you can definitely use a Greek bank debit card to top up a pay-as-you-go mobile with Vodafone Greece by setting up an online account. You used to be able to keep your credit for six months, but that's now been cut to three. As long as you top up within three months of your previous top up, you keep the credit -- and you only have to add 5 euros minimum each time.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:57 am

altohb wrote:
Kilkis wrote: I don't know if it works with a debit card. Not sure if it works the same with Cosmote.

Warwick

It certainly works with a Greek debit card - that's how I top up most of the time.

Sorry about that. I logged on again and Vodafone does say credit/debit card on the web site. When I made the post I had only been on the site a couple of hours earlier and still didn't remember. I suppose I didn't pay attention because I knew I was going to use my credit card. I rarely use it but I want to keep it active in case the bank withdraws it. Now I no longer work it might prove difficult to get another.

Warwick

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks to you all.
Mixos, I don't have an account specifically with any supplier (although my two present sim cards are Vodafone and bloody expensive) there in Crete yet, but I will do in September. Incidentally, does that mean even if I don't use it, I have to top up every three months with €5? That's 20 per year! Robbing B*****ds!
I won't be using a credit or Debit card, just a direct payment if possible, however, whatever they require, as it has to be done.
Again, thank you all for the replies.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:19 pm

alansmithnl wrote:...Mixos, I don't have an account specifically with any supplier (although my two present sim cards are Vodafone ...

I'm not sure what that means? If you are using a Greek Vodafone SIM then you have some sort of account with Vodafone Greece. Do you mean that you don't have a contract, i.e. an account where you pay a regular amount each month, or you haven't registered an online identity?

alansmithnl wrote:...Incidentally, does that mean even if I don't use it, I have to top up every three months with €5?...

I don't think that you "have to". Suppose you come to Crete for a visit and put credit on your PAYG SIM. Suppose now that you still have some credit left when you leave Crete. If you don't put some more credit on the SIM within 3 months you will simply lose the credit that's left on the SIM. If you had €0.50 left on the SIM and weren't going to return to Crete for some time you might decide it was more cost effective to lose the remaining credit. If you had €20 left on the SIM you might decide it was better to put €5 every 3 months rather than lose it. Your decision. I am sure that if the SIM is left for a long period of time with no credit and no usage it will expire but I don't know how long that is. Since I live here mine gets used regularly.

alansmithnl wrote:...I won't be using a credit or Debit card, just a direct payment if possible...

I'm not sure what you mean by a "direct payment". As far as I can see if you have a PAYG SIM then you can top up on line on the Vodafone web site using a credit/debit card or PayPal or you can go into a shop and buy a top up voucher and enter the code on your phone. There are no other alternatives. If you have a contract you will get a monthly bill and you could use online banking or an ATM to pay that bill. I don't know of other alternatives.

Personally I don't know any ex-pats here who have a contract, although I used to for many years when I was working. PAYG seems to be more cost effective for low usage. For moderate usage it can be more cost effective to use PAYG but have a package. For example you top up €10 and €6 is instantly deducted and converted into 250 minutes to any mobile or landline for 1 month. You can only find out which is most cost effective by trial and error. You can turn the packages on and off.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Kilkis wrote:I am sure that if the SIM is left for a long period of time with no credit and no usage it will expire but I don't know how long that is.
Many years ago now I had a SIM 'de-activated' by a UK company simply because the phone hadn't been used despite there being credit on it up to the deactivation date. I think the 'no use' period was 12 months. The action couldn't be reversed as deactivated numbers were added to a list for reallocation to new subscribers. A two seconds call or a top-up or even an incoming call would have prevented deactivation.
I doubt that the inactive period has lengthened but, more probably, has been reduced.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:18 pm

For UK Vodafone SIMs it is 3 months - I imagine it is the same for Greek SIMs

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:44 pm

altohb wrote:For UK Vodafone SIMs it is 3 months - I imagine it is the same for Greek SIMs

What is 3 months? You lose any credit after 3 months or they disable the SIM altogether after 3 months?

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 am

SIM disabled and credit lost.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 am

Are you sure about that? According to Vodafone UK's terms and conditions starting at the bottom right of page 1:

We can suspend, restrict (including, without limitation, prevent you from receiving incoming or making or sending outgoing calls and texts) or stop providing all or part of the services if:...
    ii) you do not use the service for 180 consecutive days i.e. you do not carry out any chargeable outbound activity such as making an outbound call (excluding calls to 191), sending an SMS, using data or topping up your account;

The only mention I can find of losing credit is on page 2:

If we suspend the mobile equipment because you have chosen not to use the services for 180 consecutive days we will send you an SMS notifying you that you should top up your account or make a chargeable outbound call (but not calls to 191), send a chargeable SMS or use your data within the next 90 days. If you fail to do so, we will disconnect your mobile equipment and you will lose any credit held on your account.

That looks like you can keep a Vodafone UK PAYG SIM active, including the credit, simply by sending a text every 179 days. I can find no mention of having to top up every 3 months.

I have a Virgin UK SIM and the credit on that last indefinitely even if you don't use it. I once went over twelve months without topping it up or using it and it still worked when I returned to the UK and all the credit was still available. How long that will last now that it is part of EE I don't know.

Warwick

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:45 pm

I forgot to top up my Vodaphone account end of 2015, which I think was when they changed to three months retention. I lost the few Euros credit I had but not my number. As a result I registered for my account online. I tend to keep a minimum on balance, but get 400 mins free to Greek numbers and loads of free texts when I add 10€ per top up, which after charges works out at about 7€.

I tend to run the balance down prior to coming back to UK and use the accrued balance after online top ups when I first get back. I use the phone only for Greek mobile and landline calls and find it is not especially expensive to maintain, the maximum balance I seem to build up to is around 12€.

Kathleen

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”