Kodi / Roku

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Danny

Kodi / Roku

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:23 pm

My satellite dish needs renewing but was wondering if these Kodi type boxes are better, we watch very little TV and the programmes we watched via the satellite wasn't good, I'm not into all the techo stuff but have been told the amazon fire stick and a couple of others are good, can anyone who has one of these boxes give me a bit of advice

Kilkis

Re: Kodi / Roku

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Expert Reviews, an online offshoot of Computer Shopper magazine did a review of the best Android TV boxes for Kodi in 2017. Should have some useful information. Remember you need a decent broadband speed, e.g. above 3 Mbps.

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:22 am

Thanks Warwick

meach

Postby meach » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:24 am

Kodi does work, some of the time. We have been using it on a PC for a year and just moved to a small Android box that works even better. (I bought it from public.gr for 60 Euros)

The main issue is the world-wide clampdown on streaming services, which might involve illegal downloads.

The services on Kodi, which you must download and install seperately, provide a good service that is noticeably diminishing week by week as content providers vanish and get prosecuted.

The bottom line is that it can take a while for a Kodi service to find a provider for the programme you want to watch and it is getting tougher.

Eventually, we will all subscribe to Amazon, or Netflix.

Hope this helps!

Meach

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 pm

meach wrote:......Eventually, we will all subscribe to Amazon, or Netflix.
Not quite all of us, Meach. Some of us have no interest in TV and/or film. In the last 16years I've seen TV in cafés and they're usually tuned to football, in which I have no interest. I have watched TV in hotel rooms on the rare occasions there's been nothing else to do and usually fall asleep within 15 minutes. In the same period I've watched three films (on DVDs which were gifts). Life's too interesting to sit watching images on electronic boxes. I do use a PC but normally for productive things.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 am

Yes , I don't bother with any live TV stuff , if we feel like watching a movie or a news item I just download it to my laptop if it's a movie with dramatic special fx's( my younger brother works on sci-fi movies) I can connect the laptop with a bigger screen and put sound through the hi-fi... I think the internet has removed the need for live TV ...if there ever was one ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:29 am

Lots of people stream live TV through the internet, Jeff, so "live" TV isn't obsolete.

Everybody has different tastes. Personally I do enjoy TV. I'm told there are people who don't eat meat or drink alcohol, although I find these claims very difficult to believe.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Likewise Warwick. We have Sky TV for Sky Sport, Eurosport etc.... and a box bought locally which works brilliantly for BT sport and everything else. Not too bothered about most TV in the summer but like it for the long winter nights.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”