mirroring to TV.

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
STEVE.W

Re: mirroring to TV.

Postby STEVE.W » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:58 am

[quote]26 Mbps is pretty high for Crete? Presumably you have the 30 Mbps or 50 Mbps DSL service rather than the 24 Mbps ADSL service? I can't get that where I am but I probably wouldn't bother if it were to become available as I am happy with speed I get now.[/quote]

Warwick, he is referring to Tooway Sat system which provides around 22mb down speed but because of the Ping time, I've found it intermittent for live TV. Using after Midnight to download anything during their unmetered time is the way to use the 40gb system, you can then watch what you want, when you want. As Tooway provide a UK I.P address, you can access BBC iPlayer without the need for an ever decreasing VPN service but it eats your data allowance, video at 480-720 quality will use around 1GB every 3 hours of viewing.

If you have a landline, usage, as stated, is irrelevant as it is uncapped but you will need a VPN service to access live TV direct from BBC & ITV unless you access it via an App on an Android box, tablet or phone such as UKTVNow or Mobdro.

Steve
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 pm

This is getting very confusing. Jeff certainly made it clear that he had Satellite Internet, which I took to be Tooway:

Jeffstclair wrote:I have a satellite connection with a 40 gig cap ...

He then went on to ask about streaming on a normal landline connection:

Jeffstclair wrote:...When you live stream TV from the UK on a normal line line connection ,does it burn masses of bandwidth/gigs does it buffer...

I was replying to that question.

So that everybody is clear:

1 Landline broadband is not capped. You could stream live TV 24 hours per day if you wished. You need around 3 Mbps for SD and around 5 Mbps for HD. You might get away with a bit less but the lower you go the more buffering you will get.
    2 On a combination router that uses a landline but also has a 4G SIM to boost speed, the landline usage is not capped but the SIM usage IS capped. You can use the SIM to stream live TV but you need to be careful how much you stream.
    3 On satellite Internet, e.g. Tooway, usage is capped except for a period during the night. It is better to download programmes during the uncapped period and then watch them during the day rather than live stream. I've not used satellite Internet but a friend has and he told me that it is also a bit iffy for things like Skype/Facetime. Probably because of the long ping mentioned by SteveW.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Just to offer up our experience on Tooway satelite internet, we have been using it for five years now and have not had any problems with either Skyping nor Facetime, which we use frequently. I should add a caveat though, that if we are in the middle of a deluge of rain as we had the other day, then we cannot pick up a connection with the satellite intermittently. It has to be raining really hard.
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Oh sorry to cause a confusion , I was just wondering what sort of speed you need to watch telly in real time ,and if my satellite link would be fast enough if I every wanted to.. it seems it will( thanks Warwick.) Like Ying&Yang I have no problems with my connection ..living where we live there is no other option ...our phone line is a spur off a spur with no connection back into the network, the OTE engineers tell me it will not support a broadband connection with any usable speed ..when we get bad wind or snow the phone can go off for a bit . and the mobile network is very patchy.. It's reassuring to know that with a bit of fuel for the genny we can always get on line that for us is the benefit of a stand alone system...jeff

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Oh sorry to cause a confusion , I was just wondering what sort of speed you need to watch telly in real time ,and if my satellite link would be fast enough if I every wanted to.. it seems it will( thanks Warwick.)...

It might be fast enough, Jeff, but read STEVE.W's post. It might not work very well because of the long ping. No harm in trying it but don't go over your cap. My comments were referring to landline broadband.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:07 am

Been using Tooway for nearly 5 years to stream TV with no problems except under real extremes of weather maybe once or twice a year. Also have Sky for Sky sports. That works fine except in torrential rain showers. Having a UK ip address is a big bonus plus unlimited package. No chance of a phone line but the download speed is abysmal in our area anyway.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”