sky tv

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
mythos master

sky tv

Postby mythos master » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Good afternoon,anybody with sky having problems,just getting message "initialising or no signal" what frequency is anybody using please
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Kilkis

Re: sky tv

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:28 pm

I had a problem when I returned from the UK a few days ago. The box had been completely unplugged for a bit over two weeks. When it rebooted it also gave the endless initialising message. I swapped from the normal default transponder of:

11.778, V, 27.5, 2/3, DVB-S, QPSK
to
12.110, H, 27.5,5/6, DVB-S, QPSK

I did another full power-off reboot and it then worked. Scooby has the same box as me and his is still working on the original settings so I just tried changing back to the original 11.778 version and it is working fine now. No idea why but you could try going through the same process.

Warwick

PS It is possible that if you leave it on the 12.110 setting the planner will not work completely correctly. It might only show a few hours ahead, not show any synopses and not allow serial linking. I can't check this. My box has a broken input 2 so it has these problems whichever default transponder I use.

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:37 pm

:( sorry to say,it didn't work for me,any input greatly appreciated,looks like I'm up on the roof tomorrow.

john4d

Postby john4d » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:27 am

I had this problem. I have a skybox and a non sky box. I could receive sky on my non sky box (Free to air and encrypted) but not on my sky box, I reluctantly pruned the olive tree that was overhanging the dish increasing the signal quality to 36%, the sky box then initiated ok. It would appear that it needs a stronger signal to initiate. So have you checked your signal strength?
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Fixed,swapped leads over on back of box,got picture and could record,but only one at a time,checked leads outside,one of them had the central copper core broken due to fatigue (13) years,renewed both,all ok now,thanks for replies

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:12 pm

As it's relevant to this discussion, I have a reel of genuine WF100 copper/copper coaxial cable if anyone needs some. It has the lowest loss of all the standard "100" type cables. It's way better than the steel-cored stuff sold in Greece. It can make the difference between picture and no picture.

I can repair simple faults on receivers, (having repaired in excess of 25,000 when I worked in the industry). I don't have the equipment to carry out complex fault diagnosis, here on Crete. I have previously fixed "broken 2nd inputs" but success rate depends on make/model and the nature of the damage. "Dead" power supplies can usually be fixed.

I'm officially retired so I do this as a hobby, not a business, and usually prefer to barter.

Lots of info. here:-
http://www.satcure.co.uk

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Having kicked Sky into touch a few months ago, I have some redundant equipment.
2 old Sky boxes, 1 Sky plus box and a metal construction 1.2m dish.
Just collecting dust / rain at the moment, so if anyone wants them in exchange for a couple of bottle of wine, or a crate of beers, let me know.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”