Firefox Quantum

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Firefox Quantum

Postby Kilkis » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Has everybody got their latest Firefox up date, i.e. Firefox Quantum? Supposed to be much faster? Has anybody told them that the main delays are caused by the web sites being downloaded not by the browser itself. I can't see any difference.

I have never been opposed to change but change that doesn't really achieve anything really irritates me. In the new version the "home" control and the "reload page" control have been moved next to the "back" and "forward" controls. I totally agree that his is the most logical place to put them but having got used to them being at the right of the web name bar for what seems like centuries it is a real pain trying to adjust. A bit like when supermarkets reorganise their shelves. At least they are motivated by trying to get you to spend more. What is Firefox's motivation?

Warwick

Alyn

Re: Firefox Quantum

Postby Alyn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Downloaded it the other day and I find it is a lot faster on many sites, mind I only store program files on the laptop to keep it uncluttered and the speeds up. I use an expansion drive to save all my stuff on. Both expansion drive and Laptop run on Solid State Drives which seem to help.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Kilkis wrote:In the new version the "home" control and the "reload page" control have been moved next to the "back" and "forward" controls. I totally agree that his is the most logical place to put them but having got used to them being at the right of the web name bar ..........
They are customisable, Warwick. Right click on a blank bit of the toolbar and click 'Customize' and you can drag the icons around. I now have the Back/Forward arrows and the 'Home' icon to the left of the address area and page refresh between the address bar and the search box. It's quite flexible: for example, if you so desire (though why would you) you can place the Page Back arrow at extreme left and the Page Forward arrow way over on the right, even beyond the search box.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:18 am

I also use an SSD for Windows and all programmes and a conventional hard drive for files, Alyn. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about the speed. Some sites are almost always quick. Some have a strong tendency to be slow. Some, like LiC, vary between the two. I can't really see an obvious difference with the new browser. I don't sit timing site loads so perhaps it is quicker but nothing obvious. Perhaps if they have found a more efficient method of loading sites it might be more obvious on slow broadband rather than on a fast connection.

Thanks for the reminder, Filippos. I have customised Firefox in the past and just didn't think about using the feature to try to move the reload control. It's not something I do everyday so I tend to forget that it is possible. I don't think it helps that the feature to customise does not appear to be anywhere in the menu structure unless I'm missing something.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am

Kilkis wrote:I don't think it helps that the feature to customise does not appear to be anywhere in the menu structure unless I'm missing something.

When I first saw the new layout I didn't look at the menu, I just thought, "I don't like it this way", and right clicked on the toolbar. That said, there is a 'Customise' option on the menu list. Click the three horizontal bars @ top right (I know you'll know that but others may not), and 'Customise...' is about ½ way down the list. On the page that brings up haul the icons to where you want them. The blank boxes on the toolbar are spacers which can also be dragged about.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Sorry for any confusion, I was referring to the drop-down menu structure at top left. When I was developing software it was often useful to have different methods for accessing a feature BUT every feature was always accessible from the drop down menu.

I thought I had hit another problem with the new browser but it turned out to be a Windows problem. Suddenly I couldn't play some video streams that had been working a few days ago so I naturally assumed it was the browser update that had caused the problem. I couldn't find any setting in the new browser that could account for it when I suddenly remembered that Windows 10 had done a massive update from Version 1703 to 1709. I think that the H.264 codec plug-in on Firefox only works by interacting with Windows and major new builds of Windows do not include Media Player. Even if you had Media Player already loaded in the previous build it does not transfer to the new one. I loaded Media Player again and everything went back to working normally. I thought I would mention it in case anyone else has the same sort of problem.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:26 pm

PS Just noticed that the update of Windows 10 to Version 1709 has reinstated English USA in the language preferences. Easy enough to delete but why can't they leave things alone when they do an update?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 pm

They didn't in mine (v.1709).

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Strange. Before the update my language preferences only contained English UK and Greek. I normally toggle between these using alt-shift. I did that today and found that I had the English US keyboard, i.e. shift-2 gives @ not ". When I then looked at the preferences it had English UK, Greek and English US in that order. With 3 items selected alt-shift cycles through them so the first time I used alt-shift to select Greek and then used it again to select English it went to the US selection. That can only have occurred as part of the update.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Perhaps that was an error that was picked up before world wide distribution of the current version was complete. Correct the error and complete distribution then either issue a fix for those affected or wait for the next update.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Possibly. Do you know when your update was installed, Filippos? Mine was on ‎19/‎11/‎2017.

I also installed The Feature Pack for Windows (KB4039813) on 20/11/2017, in order to get the Media Player, so perhaps that made the change not the 1709 update?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Sometime later than you, Warwick and I didn't bother with the Feature Pack: I don't use Media Player.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:21 pm

I don't use it directly, I prefer VLC, but for some reason some videos on web pages wouldn't play without it while others would. Installing it seemed the easiest solution rather than spend hours trying to track down the problem and find an alternative solution.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Ah, I very rarely watch videos of any kind. I guess I've just been lucky and never had anything refuse to play on VLC.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 am

I'm not talking about videos in the sense of a film or a TV programme. I mean the sort of video clips you get on many web pages illustrating something, such as a news story on the BBC web site or a product on a company web site. They might be a few seconds or a few minutes long. Prior to the updates they would all play, either automatically or by clicking on the play button. After the updates some would play while others wouldn't. I can't remember exactly what the first one I noticed was but I do remember it was encoded in HTML5. It was embedded in a web page but it actually streamed the video from Youtube or rather it did after I installed Media Player. I have the normal plugins installed and enabled such as OpenH264 Video Codec, Widevine Content Decryption Module and Shockwave Flash.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”