Firefox Quantum Crashes

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Firefox Quantum Crashes

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:22 pm

I don't know if anybody else who has updated to Firefox Quantum, mine is 57.0.4, and is experiencing "Gah Tab has Crashed" errors. If so I found the following solution that seems to have cured the problem:

1 Type about:config into the Firefox address bar followed by <enter>. You will get a warning but just accept the risk.
    2 You should get a list of preference names with each one followed by its settings. Above the list should be a search bar.
    3 Type browser.tabs.remote.autostart into the search bar bar.
    4 That should reduce the list to two items, browser.tabs.remote.autostart and browser.tabs.remote.autostart2.
    5 Make sure these are both set to false. On mine the first one was set to false and the second was set to true. If either is set to true change the setting to false by clicking on it until it changes.
    6 Close the tab and restart Firefox.

Hopefully the crashes will end.

Warwick

PS Note that it is a colon in the first command not a full stop.

YoMo2

Re: Firefox Quantum Crashes

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Interestingly, my settings are the same as your original settings, but I have not experienced that crash scenario. I've left the settings as they are based on the "sleeping dog" theory. Any idea why the change fixed the problem for you?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

No idea. I got the solution from a forum on a thread discussing this type of crash and how to resolve it. Seems to work so I thought I would post it in case anybody else is having problems. I didn't simply post a link because it is a very long thread with lots of other discussions mixed in. I also reworded the description to make it easier to follow.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Just checked my settings and they are as Andrew's. I haven't had any crashes either but, occasionally, if I scroll down to a lower part of page I get overlapping text and photos that show only the top 5mm of the graphic with the rest of the 'picture' blank white space. Reloading the page cures that and further scrolling down a page, however long hasn't yet replicated the effect. Nor does it happen in every tab opened in the same Firefox session.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:20 pm

I suppose it all comes under the heading of progress..... Maybe one step forward and two steps back would be more appropriate.

Since I went to Firefox Quantum my bookmarks toolbar at the top of the screen randomly disappears. It seems to happen early in a session. I fix it by clicking on the "show your bookmarks" icon to the right of the address bar, choosing "Bookmarks Toolbar", then "View Bookmarks Toolbar", unchecking that item, repeating the whole process and putting the checkmark back on, upon which the toolbar re-appears. After that the toolbar seems to stay there. I despair.

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm

YoMo2 wrote:Since I went to Firefox Quantum my bookmarks toolbar at the top of the screen randomly disappears.............
I haven't encountered that bug yet. (Providence tempting.)

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Mine crashed today and couldn't even open, uninstalled and now installed version 58 which is quite cool, took about 5 minutes.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Yes, mine updated to Version 58.0 a few days ago. Can't say that I've noticed any difference?

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Kilkis wrote:Yes, mine updated to Version 58.0 a few days ago. Can't say that I've noticed any difference?

Warwick
Nothing much, just a load of emoji's to choose from for those that wish to, choice to add ublock origin and enhancer for you tube.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”