BBC and VPN

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
SatCure

BBC and VPN

Postby SatCure » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:01 am

I just cancelled my contract with StrongVPN because they can no longer provide an IP address that works with BBC. They refused a refund.

There are VPN providers that still work but I'm not going to name them here because I'm sure that the BBC has people trawling the Internet looking for such posts so that they can block those providers, too!

frankmand

Re: BBC and VPN

Postby frankmand » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:34 pm

I've found, with the BBC and using a VPN, that logging into the BBC website usually solves the problem.
On another, closely related, issue, BBC have just released a new version of IPlayer Downloads.
I've found a problem with the new version, in that it doesn't allow the user to specify WHERE the downloads are to be stored!
Has anyone else come across this problem, and have a solution?

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:47 pm

I have no idea how iPlayer downloads work but if I download anything (video course, computer program e-books etc.) inadvertently to the 'wrong' place I just drag'n'drop to where I do want to keep it. Can't be positive about anything to do with TV since haven't bothered with it since 2002.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 pm

I could be wrong but I think BBC iPlayer downloads can only be played in the iPlayer app, i.e. not with some generic video player like VLC. If you move them to a different directory you wouldn't be able to play them because iPlayer will only look in its default location, i.e. C:\Users\<Username>\Videos\BBC iPlayer Downloads , where <Username> is the user name of the person using the app.

Warwick

frankmand

Postby frankmand » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:16 pm

I know that the downloads can only be played with the iplayer app. It's just that the old version, which has to be replaced by mid-February, allowed the user to change the directory where the downloads were stored, and I used a directory on my NAS unit. Now I've got to store them on my C drive.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:28 pm

Sorry, I didn't really make it clear. My comment was in reply to Filippos' comment.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”