various Win 7 shut down problems

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
nuska

various Win 7 shut down problems

Postby nuska » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:55 am

I have not been able to shut down properly for a few days now. Computer sticks on any one of the following - shutting down group policy client services, notifying services that Windows is shutting down, shutting down diagnostics tracking service, shutting down aswbidsagent service - and will go no further no matter how long I wait.
After booting in safe mode it shuts down and restarts ok.
Can anyone throw some light on this problem please?

Kilkis

Re: various Win 7 shut down problems

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am

I think aswbIDSAgent is part of Avast. You could try disabling Avast or uninstalling it. If that cures the problem make sure you get rid of any remaining Avast files and then install the latest version.

Warwick

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Warwick is right, it might be Avast.
Mine started to act up after a update some weeks ago.
I downloaded the new one, uninstalled the old one but it kept 1 service in the pc with almost 99% cpu usage. (Avast behavior shield)
I then used the uninstall tool and installed it again. It worked fine after. Even the behavior shield is now running at 0% most of the time
You can download the tool here: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Greets
Steve

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 pm

I think it is pretty generally true of anti-malware programmes that it is better to use their own uninstall tool wherever possible. Many viruses try to disable them and so they have quite robust processes to protect themselves. This sometimes means that generic uninstall utilities, such as the one in Windows, often don't make a very good job of it.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”