Charging my Kindle

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Charging my Kindle

Postby johnincrete » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 am

The only way I can recharge my Kindle is by connecting it to the USB port of my desktop computer and the charging rate is very slow and it stops charging when the computer goes to sleep due to inactivity. (Currently I play a YouTube video when I need to leave the computer)

When connected to my laptop, or when connected to the mains via a converter used for my phone charging it does not charge.

1. Does anyone have any explanation why only my desktop will recharge the Kindle
2. How can I stop my computer going to sleep. There must be a setting somewhere in Windows 7 professional.

Thanks in advance

Kilkis

Re: Charging my Kindle

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am

I can't explain why your Kindle will not charge from a mains-USB adapter. You could try a higher current model, e.g. from e-shop. I can't guarantee it will help.

If you go to Settings>System>Power & Sleep you can select the time before the PC turns off and the display turns off. The option "Never" is right at the bottom of the selection.

Warwick

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:08 pm

What model of Kindle do you have ? Some models/generations have higher power requirement.
What does the back of your kindle say regarding power ? (500mAh?)

Is your usb port on the pc a usb 2 or 3 ?
The maximal charge on a usb 2 port is 500mAh, so if it charges on the pc it should charge on a 500mAh usb adapter too.
(If you charge it via a usb3 port, then its 900mAh! and i would recommend a usb adapter of 1000mAh)

Check that your usb wall adapter minimally matches the mAh that the kindle says on the back.
(Like Warwick says, more is not a bad thing, the kindle will take what it needs)
Some phone chargers give out less then 500mAh, check if you have one that's minimal 500mAh.
Its said that the charging will take up to 4 hours. But i guess that depends on the model too.

Is it the original usb cable ? If not, did you try a different one ?
(have seen cheap Chinese cables doing strange things)

Another tip for charging with the pc (found on the internet) :
"After you connect your kindle to the pc, click on the "Start" button, select "Computer" from the options listed, right-click on the icon for the Kindle and select "Eject" from the pop-up menu. This will cause Kindle to exit USB drive mode and bring up the Home screen. Check on the kindle if its charging.
USB drive mode uses extra power so charging takes longer, turning it off makes charging go faster."

Steve

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:21 am

Wow - thanks Steven. There is a lot to think about.

Thanks for no-sleep option Kilkis

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:16 am

I charge my Kindle (touch screen model) with a Belkin twin USB charger.

The usual reasons for no charge are:

1. Faulty charging lead.
2. Insufficient current capability of charger.
3. Lint in the Kindle socket.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:26 am

SatCure wrote:...3. Lint in the Kindle socket.

Brought back memories of the chorus of the old Marty Feldman song "The Great Bell.

Warwick

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

I have recently been having problems with my kindle, too - different problems from yours.

Maybe they are designed to malfunction at this time of year so that Father Christmas can pop into Amazon and stock up on Christmas presents - or am I just being cynical?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Out of curiosity when you experience these problems does the charging light come on or not?

If the light comes on but the Kindle doesn't charge it is most probably a charging problem inside the Kindle. With most devices of this type, phones, tablets etc, the charger just provides a source of power at a suitable voltage. Circuitry inside the device controls the actual charging. Optimal/safe rates of charging etc are specific to the battery being used and that varies from device to device so the controller has to be in the device not the charger. Obviously the design of the charger imposes limits on what the control circuitry in the device can do, e.g. maximum current/power it can draw.

If the charging light doesn't come on the problem is most likely with the charger or the connecting cable. Try different chargers and/or cables or just unplug/plug in again at both ends. I use a charger with 4 USB outlets. I once plugged my Kindle into one USB outlet and it didn't charge. I plugged it into a different outlet and it charged as normal. I thought the first outlet had developed a fault but later I tried a different device in that outlet and it charged fine. Later still I connected the Kindle to that outlet and again it charged fine. Presumably the USB cable was not making contact correctly with the outlet. That was all with the same cable.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”