Satellite Internet

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
shine on

Satellite Internet

Postby shine on » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Am I correct in saying that there are currently three satellite internet choices, bigblu, cosmote and nova? I don’t hear much about nova, are they any good?

Jeffstclair

Re: Satellite Internet

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:34 pm

We have had tooway for 12 years ish supplied by Bentley Walker .in the UK ..they do deals for free kit now and again ..Very easy to self instal and set up with a few basic tools , it work great and good customer support. Edit I just worked it out we first installed tooway satellite broadband in 2005 ....does 'nt time fly ....I think there is also Hellas Net ...for satellite broadband as well as the one you listed ...

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Ive got Nova 3 Sat which is TV,Internet and Telephone (no landlines in my neck of the woods)its fine apart from a slight delay on phone calls to North America.They do free equipment deals sometimes or you can rent or buy it.I think Ote also do satellite Internet and TV.

shine on

Postby shine on » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Midlander wrote:Ive got Nova 3 Sat which is TV,Internet and Telephone (no landlines in my neck of the woods)its fine apart from a slight delay on phone calls to North America.They do free equipment deals sometimes or you can rent or buy it.I think Ote also do satellite Internet and TV.

How much data do you get with this?

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:39 pm

I chose the lowest which is 20GB but you can choose what you need ,it depends on what you use the internet for.If you google Nova 3 Sat all the info is on there,or call into the Nova/Forthnet shop.Dont know where you are in Crete but in Chania its next to the Post Office on Peridou st.

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Ive just had a quick look and on the website its says they are doing free equipment at the moment.

shine on

Postby shine on » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 pm

Ok, thanks midlander, I had a look and the unlimited night time data is also good as it starts at 23:00 instead of 01:00 with the others, even in Crete it can be hard to stay up that late, especially on taverna night where the alcohol flows faster than the rivers in winter time...and at my age, disposed of just as quick.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:56 am

Ha
shine on wrote:Ok, thanks midlander, I had a look and the unlimited night time data is also good as it starts at 23:00 instead of 01:00 with the others, even in Crete it can be hard to stay up that late, especially on taverna night where the alcohol flows faster than the rivers in winter time...and at my age, disposed of just as quick.

My partner has a widget thing so she can set it up to download movies or other big files over night so we don't have to stay up to do it ..... :wink:

shine on

Postby shine on » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:20 am

Jeffstclair wrote:Ha
shine on wrote:Ok, thanks midlander, I had a look and the unlimited night time data is also good as it starts at 23:00 instead of 01:00 with the others, even in Crete it can be hard to stay up that late, especially on taverna night where the alcohol flows faster than the rivers in winter time...and at my age, disposed of just as quick.

My partner has a widget thing so she can set it up to download movies or other big files over night so we don't have to stay up to do it ..... :wink:

That’s interesting, a timer? If so, I’d be interested to know what type of device.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi Shine on ..She uses a download manager with a scheduler ...we use I getter on a Mac but it seem there are loads to choose from ...hope this helps ...

shine on

Postby shine on » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Hi Shine on ..She uses a download manager with a scheduler ...we use I getter on a Mac but it seem there are loads to choose from ...hope this helps ...

Great, thanks,I will look into this 8)

BST

Postby BST » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 pm

We've had Tooway from Bentley Walker for about 8 years. Great support and system. UK IP address which saves a lot of hassle plus unlimited GB!!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:35 pm

I am having difficulty accessing Nova’s website, in particular information on satellite internet packages.

What is their largest package, I.e.do they offer unlimited download?

Also, relating to this and other providers to Greece, what are the disadvantages to losing a UK IP address?
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:30 pm

Yes I had trouble with Nova , a few years ago I thought I would change from Bentley Walker who we have been with for years , to a Greek supplier to support the Greek economy ... So I got on to Nova on the phone and explained what I wanted . The woman I spoke to was well informed and very positive about supplying a connection and convinced me that we could change our connection ...I asked her to put the deal we had disused in writing and send it to me in an Email with costs , delivery of the new kit , a proposed date for the change over ...I was going to install the stuff my self so ...my plan was to set up the new dish and modem do all the cabling and aiming , then shut down the tooway and fire up the Nova ...I waited a few days for her to get back to me ...nothing never heard from Nova again ....so we are still with Bentley Walker ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:52 pm

Nova certainly offer a combined TV service and Internet package, as do all the Greek providers, but I wasn't aware that the Internet section was provided via satellite? Since Nova is linked to Forthnet I assumed that the TV part was provided by Nova's satellite broadcasts but the internet part was provided by the landline network using Forthnet. Are you sure they are really offering a satellite internet system like Tooway?

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”