Satellite Internet

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Midlander

Re: Satellite Internet

Postby Midlander » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:45 pm

I have Internet,Phone and TV with Nova all off satellite,there are no landlines where i live.The package is Nova 3 Sat.I think they also do Nova 3,which is available to people who have a landline.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:45 am

Thank you all for your input. We have had what is now known as BigBlu for seven years which has retained its UK IP address but are casting around for alternative options which would involve losing our UK IP address. Would this be a big disadvantage? Also, for comparison I am trying to find Nova’s price packages for Satellite Internet but have had no luck - does anyone know how to find this via a web search? I can see that Cosmote’s package for 150Gb is near as dammit identical to Bigblu’s so perhaps Nova’s similar package is about the same price. Also, from what I understand from Cosmote, we could use our existing satellite dish which we have to watch their TV channels, to upgrade to TV and Satellite Internet with them but not sure if I understand that correctly.

Lynn
Last edited by Yin&Yang on Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:12 am

Here is a link to Nova 3play sat ...the price list is at the bottom of the page ..http://www.nova.gr/gr/upiresies-gia-to- ... 3play-sat/
Edit ..I've look through the price list and it looks cheap until you find the bit where it says you get only 20 gb per month so half what we get with Tooway ....and Cosmote do 30 gb or 150 gb for 45,90 and 99,00 euros a month .. for us 30gb is not enough and 150 gb is too much... I think I will stick with Tooway ...

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:12 am

Thank you for the link. Yes, it looks as though Nova only offer 20 Gb a month which like you, is not enough for our needs. Like you, I suspect that we will be sticking with our current provider but it’s an interesting exercise looking at alternatives.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:22 am

Yin&Yang wrote:...which would involve losing our UK IP address. Would this be a big disadvantage?...

It depends what you use it for. Some services, like streaming UK TV channels, only work with a UK IP address. You could get round this issue by buying a VPN service but obviously you would need to add the cost of that when doing your comparisons. See this thread for some ideas.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:23 am

Thank you Warwick :)

BST

Postby BST » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:18 pm

We've been with Bentley Walker for about 7 years. We were lucky enough to get an unlimited package. It's expensive but as we watch quite a lot of TV especially in the winter then the UK up address is invaluable. The download speed is always around 17-20 Mbs so apart from streaming live TV we can also use the internet on other devices at the same time. Even if Cosmote put in phone lines to our area, I wouldn't swap!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:08 pm

Ours was Tooway, Europasat, now known as BigBlu, supported admirably by HiTek here on the island. They have just advised that as early Tooway customers we can increase our monthly download and retain our UK IP address so that is what we shall be doing. For now at least.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:16 pm

BST wrote:We've been with Bentley Walker for about 7 years. We were lucky enough to get an unlimited package. It's expensive but as we watch quite a lot of TV especially in the winter then the UK up address is invaluable. The download speed is always around 17-20 Mbs so apart from streaming live TV we can also use the internet on other devices at the same time. Even if Cosmote put in phone lines to our area, I wouldn't swap!

Yeah I'm happy with Tooway from Bentley Walker .. speed is good ,and this time of year the phone line and power line is very dodgy so as long as we have the genny we can get online we have been with them for 14 ish years .very interested how you got an uncapped connection :wink: . PM me with the details .. We are on 40 GB for I think 65 quid a month ...so less than 2.50 a day ...some months we scrape by and have it slow down for the last few days ...other months we have 10 GB spare so I spend a day collecting movies ...sadly you can't save it for the next month ..When we came here OTE connected the phone and we had dialup for a bit (remember that ?)....then we found Bentley walker ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:48 pm

As they say: "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be."

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 pm

As if we could ever forget, Warwick :)

BST

Postby BST » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:
BST wrote:We've been with Bentley Walker for about 7 years. We were lucky enough to get an unlimited package. It's expensive but as we watch quite a lot of TV especially in the winter then the UK up address is invaluable. The download speed is always around 17-20 Mbs so apart from streaming live TV we can also use the internet on other devices at the same time. Even if Cosmote put in phone lines to our area, I wouldn't swap!

Yeah I'm happy with Tooway from Bentley Walker .. speed is good ,and this time of year the phone line and power line is very dodgy so as long as we have the genny we can get online we have been with them for 14 ish years .very interested how you got an uncapped connection :wink: . PM me with the details .. We are on 40 GB for I think 65 quid a month ...so less than 2.50 a day ...some months we scrape by and have it slow down for the last few days ...other months we have 10 GB spare so I spend a day collecting movies ...sadly you can't save it for the next month ..When we came here OTE connected the phone and we had dialup for a bit (remember that ?)....then we found Bentley walker ...

We were just extremely lucky getting the deal. We said we wanted the maximum they offered at that time but we didn't want it installed for a couple of months. When we contacted them later in the year (think it was 2013) they said the deal we wanted had stopped and they offered us unlimited contract for around £15 a month more. They stopped offering the unlimited contract after a few months.It's not been available since as far as I know. Just a case of right place right time! We needed luck at that time....a bad time in Crete.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”