Sound has gone wrong on my desktop

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Sound has gone wrong on my desktop

Postby johnincrete » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:42 pm

I had some external speakers that stopped working so that sound came through the comp0uter's internal speakers. The speakers were old so I bought some new ones but they also do not work. The new speakers come with two cables, one with a jack plug and the other with a USB plug. I have tried plugging the jack into all 3 sockets on the back of the computer and in the two, red and green, at the front - no joy. I have tried using the USB connector with the same results.

I am using Windows 7 on a Lenvo computer.

I have an idea that, in the past, I had to change a setting but searching through "Devices and Printers" does not help.

"Sound" lists three devices: Digital Audio (HDMI) Not plugged in; Speakers Default device with a green tick ; another Speakers not plugged in. Right click on this last device gives me Properties and at the bottom Device Usage which is set to Use this device (enable) but seems to have no effect.

Can anyone help me please?

Kilkis

Re: Sound has gone wrong on my desktop

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Did you try plugging in the USB plug and the jack plug at the same time? There are different types of speakers. Some have a small plug in power supply and some simply draw power frm the USB port and both get analogue sound from the computer's sound card through the jck plug while some have a built in DAC and get digital sound from the USB port. Do you know what type you have? I would expect the last type to need a new driver.

The green colour jack is for connecting headphones/speakers. If you have any headphones at all try plugging them into the green socket. If they work the sound card is OK and it is probably the speakers that are faulty. If the headphones don't work then the sound card is probably faulty and you need speakers with a built in DAC just connected to a USB port.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Yes I have or had some that with mini jack and usb plugs ..the jack plug was for the signal so that went in the headphone socket ,the usb was for power to run the tiny amplifier in one of the speakers with a volume and tone knob.... funny thing , one of the usb outlets did not supply enough power but one did ...I never worked out why ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 pm

I think there are standard USB ports and charging USB ports. The latter can supply about three times the current of the former, e.g. 500 mA and 1.5 A for USB2.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:58 am

I "replied" before but it seems I did something wrong so the reply did not get posted!!
There were no instructions with the speakers I impulse-bought from Jumbo very cheap! It never occurred to me to plug both jack and USB plugs in and when I followed Warwick's advice, nothing happened. Then a vague memory came back to me. With some trepidation, I disabled the "speakers" option and this allowed the other "speakers" to be enabled and the problem was solved!

Thanks, as ever Warwick.

In your latest comment, you speak of "standard USB ports and charging USB ports". I have 5 USB ports on the back of the computer and two at the front. Do you know how I can find out which ports are standard and which are charging?

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:11 am

johnincrete wrote:Do you know how I can find out which ports are standard and which are charging?

Plug a phone or tablet into port and if it starts charging, then . . . .

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 am

They all charge but some can supply more current. If you connect a device tlike phone it will simply charge more slowly on a non charging port. If you connect a device like a speaker it will simply not work correctly on a non charging port if it needs more current than the port can supply. If it needs less then it will be fine. You can find out what each port can supply from the manual for the motherboard in your computer.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:50 am

Thanks Warwick but now we are into an area beyond my abilities! Motherboard!!!!

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 am

USB is referred to as 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0. 1.1 is the oldest, 2.0 is most common and 3.0 is newest and fastest installed on new machines.

The version numbers refers to speed of the USB connection to transfer data and is what they are for. Because they work off a low voltage you can charge a mobile phone from them while the computer is turned on although that is not what they are designed for.

The higher the version number the faster the transfer rate. USB speakers should specify which version of USB they use and are be backward compatible so for example USB 2.0 should work on a 1.1 port. Just Google your computer model to find out what USB you have but that should not be a problem.

As USB speakers bypass your computer sound system you need to click on the speaker icon on system tray and select the new speakers.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am

My PC has at least one USB socket that has power even when the PC is turned off specifically to allow devices to be charged.

The mother board is simply the large printed circuit board inside the PC that most of the components are mounted on, including most of the sockets at the rear of the PC. Sockets at the front are usually connected to the motherboard by short cables. When you buy a PC you often get several small booklets with it. One of those will have a diagram of the motherboard and its specification.

Warwick

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:30 am

Cheers Warwick you get the grey matter working a bit. There is a power management option under Device Manager to allow or disallow power to USB Hubs when PC is put into sleep mode. Not sure if there is power when PC is powered off completely although sounds like you have.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:11 pm

I'm away at present. I will check when I get back. I think it is powered if I use shutdown but not if I throw the switch on the back. It mày be a feature that varies between motherboards.

Warwick.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”