Satellite TV

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Reg

Satellite TV

Postby Reg » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:12 am

After years of good service my satellite box gave up the ghost so bought new one (Commander 9000HD). Decided to try to set it up myself. I've tried auto scans and blind scans on various satellites, but no luck - no channels at all. Strangely no matter what satellite I choose the signal strength is 33% and signal quality 10%. Something clearly wrong. Maybe dish no longer aligned correctly. Can anyone help with the following:
1) Which satellites should I be pointing at - got two LNBs. We only use it for Sky News and Euro News.
2) Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong before I get the professionals in?

SatCure

Re: Satellite TV

Postby SatCure » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 pm

You can see all satellite channel listings at www.lyngsat.com
Sky News broadcasts from the Astra 2 cluster located at 28.2 degrees east of the southern meridian. I think that Euronews also still has a channel on that satellite. If not, try Hot Bird satellite located at 13.0 degrees east of the southern meridian. I think that it carries both of those so-called "news" channels, as well as numerous German programmes.

To set up the system, first align the dish on the required satellite(s). Although it's theoretically possible to do this with a £5 meter off eBay, in practice it's much easier to use a proper meter costing from around £300, since this type displays the name of each satellite and removes the guesswork. The dish needs to be aligned to an accuracy of less than 0.5 degrees in order to get a good, reliable signal. Since tightening the bolts can easily move it by 0.5 degrees, it might need a couple of tries to get it exactly right.

Once you are certain that the LNBs are aligned on the desired satellites, connect them to a DiSeQc switch - noting which inputs you use - and connect the switch to the drop lead that's connected to your receiver.

Then set the receiver to select the correct DiSeQc switch input for each satellite and let it scan. If you simply make guesses, prepare to be disappointed; you need to know what you are doing. If the receiver has the option, set it for a "universal" LNB, because that's what you're using in Europe. http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm

Kilkis

Re: Satellite TV

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:07 pm

I spent all my career working in the field of electromagnetism including using and calibrating antennas ranging from 10 kHz to 18 GHz and high accuracy measurement of antenna gain patterns in the range 1 GHz to 18 GHZ, i.e. I have got technical knowledge in this area. When I was using Sky and anything went wrong I got the professionals in.

I've always used HiTek and found them very good. There is also a shop on Anagnostou Gogoni who sells Commander boxes, sets them up and installs antenna systems. If you head into town from the Mournies junction of the National Highway you pass Lidl and come to traffic lights at Anagnostou Gogoni. Turn left. Go through the next lights at Lavouta heating shop and you come to a small petrol station on the right hand side. The TV guy is almost opposite that on the left hand side. There is a shop selling chimney systems and he is just after that.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”