Update to Windows 10 Version 1909.

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Update to Windows 10 Version 1909.

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:35 pm

Recently my desktop PC updated to Version 1909 causing the usual little quirks. I didn't notice one of them for a little while and, when I did, fixing it was a bit odd so I thought I would report it here in case anybody else has the same problem.

I prefer to work with just English (UK) and Greek selected so I can toggle between them using Alt-Shift. In the update, Windows had added English (US) in the system tray so using Alt-Shift rotates through three languages often leaving you in the one you don't want if you forget. It's easy to remove a language by going to Language Preferences in Settings, which you can do straight from the systems tray. Under Preferred languages you just click on the language you want to remove and then click on the remove button immediately below it. Unfortunately although English (US) was in the system tray and in the drop down box that you use to select the preferred Windows display language in Settings it did not appear in Preferred languages. I had to first install English (US) using the Add a preferred language button and then remove it. I rebooted the PC between each of these two steps just in case. It then disappeared from the system tray so I am back to where I want to be. Strangely it does not disappear Windows display language drop down box but I have English (UK) set as the preference there so it doesn't matter.

I also had to install Media Feature Pack and Windows Media Player, in that order, since EU versions of Windows cannot install these automatically because of EU competition rules. You no longer need to find these on the web and download them. In Version 1909 they appear under
Settings - Apps and Features - Optional Features - Add a Feature. They do download but Windows goes and finds them without you having to search for them. Again I recommend rebooting between each install just to be sure. Although I don't directly use media player some of the Media Feature Pack features are used by other applications and they will not work unless it is installed. For example some BBC embedded video clips will not play without the Media Feature Pack installed while other will. No idea why.

Warwick

YoMo2

Re: Update to Windows 10 Version 1909.

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks, Warwick, that's useful, especially the Media bit.

Strangely, my PC seems to behave differently to yours. When I use Alt+Shift, it toggles through only two of the four installed languages. Always English International and Greek. If I want English UK, I have to choose it off the Task bar. However if I use Windows key plus Space, I can toggle through all four languages....

But why would I expect consistency or continuity? It's Windows.

Andrew

EDIT: I trotted off to install the Media items you suggested and ran into a problem. Windows Media Player is already installed. (Possible I may have done this before). No sign of Media Feature Pack anywhere. A search in the main Settings window finds no result. I'm on 1909, build 18363.657, installed 7/10/2019 Any ideas?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 am

I'm not sure where you are looking? I go to "Settings", click on "App"s and then click on "Optional features". I get a list of the "Optional features" that are installed. At the top of the list are a lot of language options for English UK, English US and Greek such as Optical Character Recognition, Speech Recognition, Text to Speech etc. Media Feature Pack appears just before Microsoft Quick Assist while Windows Media Player is near the end just before XPS Viewer.

The information I read was that Media Feature Pack should be installed before Windows Media player so that was what I did. If everything is working fine for you I shouldn't worry. If you do experience a problem then you should be able to find Media Feature Pack by clicking on "Add a Feature" at the top of the list of "Optional features". That reveals a list of "Optional features" that are available but not yet installed. When you install a feature it disappears from this list and appears in the "Optional features" list.

Warwick

PS According to the discussion on the "Meaning of the shortcuts" about half way down this thread, Alt+Shift and Windows+Space don't do exactly the same thing. The former changes the language that you are using within an App. The latter changes the keyboard layout that you are using within a language. For example you might want to use English (UK) within an App like Word, so that it would use UK spellings, but you might want to use an English (US) keyboard layout because you happened to have a US layout keyboard so it is easier to find keys, e.g. a keyboard bought in Greece is usually US layout. Alt+Shift should allow you to select the language and Windows+Space should allow you to select a keyboard layout without changing the language. This assumes that you have enabled different keyboard layouts within each language.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:37 am

Why not just block all updates, then the problems I keep hearing about no longer happen.

If you do not want to stop ALL updates, then it is easy to go to History and remove the last update if it is causing issues.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:12 pm

The problems only occur when there is a major feature update to a completely new version, which happens about every six months. The problems are largely restricted to the EU because the EU has imposed restrictions on what Microsoft can install automatically because of anti-competition concerns. If you have any of those optional features installed you lose them when a feature update is implemented. It's not a big deal to reinstall them but some are features that you don't necessarily use directly but are necessary for other things to work. The tendency is to forget to reinstall them until some feature that you are using starts misbehaving.

It is quite difficult to stop updates installing now. You can slow it down, for example by selecting that your PC is on a metered Internet connection, but eventually it will still insist on installing. Also selecting metered connection has its own problems. For example when I tried initially to reinstall the missing features they didn't download because I had metered connection selected.

You can only roll back on a feature update for about 10 days after it installed. After that all the previous files are deleted. You can uninstall the intermediate quality/security updates if they cause a problem. Windows 10 is far more aggressive about keeping up-to-date.

Intermediate quality and security updates for a particular feature version are only issued for 18 months from the release date of that version. That means that if you get more than two feature updates out of date your software is no longer receiving security updates. I would rather put up with a minor inconvenience every six months rather than be operating insecure software open to ever more malware threats.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:37 pm

Kilkis wrote:I'm not sure where you are looking? I go to "Settings", click on "App"s and then click on "Optional features". I get a list of the "Optional features" that are installed. At the top of the list are a lot of language options for English UK, English US and Greek such as Optical Character Recognition, Speech Recognition, Text to Speech etc. Media Feature Pack appears just before Microsoft Quick Assist while Windows Media Player is near the end just before XPS Viewer.

The information I read was that Media Feature Pack should be installed before Windows Media player so that was what I did. If everything is working fine for you I shouldn't worry. If you do experience a problem then you should be able to find Media Feature Pack by clicking on "Add a Feature" at the top of the list of "Optional features". That reveals a list of "Optional features" that are available but not yet installed. When you install a feature it disappears from this list and appears in the "Optional features" list.....

Did exactly that. No sign of Media Feature Pack anywhere... Tedious.

Agree re the language packs etc.

Andrew

EDIT: Do you have Windows 10 N? I have Windows 10. I suspect that my version has the MFP already installed since it is not the "No media" version. No idea how "they" decide what you get given.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Mine started life as Windows 7 Pro N purchased back in March 2011 and I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro N a short time before the free upgrade expired. Any version sold in the EU is supposed to be the N version. I don't know what happens if you buy a non EU version, e.g. off Ebay, and use it in the EU. It might recognise that you are in the EU and change you to the N version at the next feature pack upgrade or it might recognise that it is a non-EU version and upgrade you to a non-EU version on that basis. I really don't know but I suspect the latter, i.e. if it starts life without an N it continues without an N and vice-versa. A non-EU version would have Windows Media Player installed automatically and I presume that the Media Feature Pack is probably embedded in the main WIndows program so wouldn't need to be installed as an option.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Kilkis wrote:......Any version sold in the EU is supposed to be the N version. I don't know what happens if you buy a non EU version, e.g. off Ebay, and use it in the EU. It might recognise that you are in the EU and change you to the N version at the next feature pack upgrade or it might recognise that it is a non-EU version and upgrade you to a non-EU version on that basis. I really don't know but I suspect the latter, i.e. if it starts life without an N it continues without an N and vice-versa. A non-EU version would have Windows Media Player installed automatically and I presume that the Media Feature Pack is probably embedded in the main WIndows program so wouldn't need to be installed as an option.

Warwick

Now that sounds about right. Mine was off eBay.... In this case, buying a "bootleg" copy may have relieved me of the hassle of repeatedly having to reinstall WMP and MFP? Some you win, some you lose. I've lost plenty.

Andrew

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”