Sky News on Sky

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
BST

Sky News on Sky

Postby BST » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:38 am

We have a Sky box and have lost Sky News this week. All the other channels, mainly sports seem OK. Any ideas where it's gone?

mythos master

Re: Sky News on Sky

Postby mythos master » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:22 pm

us too,probabl br...t
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 pm

I know its a different box but i lost it a couple of days ago on my Technomate on the Freesat /Astra Satellite but its been ok today.

BST

Postby BST » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Just had a reply from the brilliant HiTek guys in Chania (highly recommended) it is due to HM Government and Brexit!!! You need a much larger dish. Maybe other channels will go. Thankyou Boris!!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Well I bow to HiTek's experience, which is far greater than mine, but I suspect that it is nothing to do with Brexit or Boris. The satellites used by Sky, Astra 2E, 2F and 2G at 28.2 E all have a UK spot beam and a wider EU beam. They have been migrating channels from the EU beams to the UK spot beams for as long as I can remember and long before the referendum. It sounds like Sky News is just the latest casualty.

Warwick

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:27 am

You can still get the Irish stream of Sky News, exactly the same but with Irish adverts!
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

BST

Postby BST » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am

How Steve? Might give it a go.

paul g

Postby paul g » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:56 am

The way Sky news is going, probably no great loss.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 pm

Sadly I'm gradually starting to think the same way, Paul. I've used Sky News for many years but each change they make seems to be a small incremental change for the worse. I like Ian King's business programme but it is not a patch on Jeff Randall's previous one. Sophie Ridge is OK but nowhere near as good as Dermot Murnaghan's Sunday morning politics programme used to be. I am still hanging in so far but I am beginning to think that Kay Burley first thing in the morning could be the final straw. I have no idea why Sky still employ her.

I asked a friend this morning if he could still get Sky News on his Sky box. He said it was still there but unwatchable, i.e. both picture and sound breaking up and/or disappearing. Based on that description I don't believe that they have changed to the UK beam. It sounds to me like they have done one of their periodic adjustments of the position/alignment of the satellite and that has tipped it from being receivable to being not receivable/marginal. Realignment of the dish might solve it.

Satellites constantly but very slowly drift in both position in orbit and alignment of antennas. The satellite operator doesn't typically carry out constant adjustments, which would use a lot of fuel, but rather periodic adjustments when it has drifted too far. In Crete we are close to the limit of what is receivable with a reasonable size dish. Satellite data does not behave like analogue TV transmissions, where the picture and sound just get gradually worse and worse with noise as the signal gets weaker. If the signal is locked you get a perfect picture but if it loses lock you lose it completely. The difference between being locked and not locked could be a fraction of 1 dB in signal strength. Loss of analogue signal is like rolling down a hill while loss of digital signal is like falling off a cliff.

I've got a 1.8 m, elliptical, offset, MABO dish for sale if anybody wants it. It is complete with a solid floor mount and LNB, although I cannot guarantee the condition of the LNB. I had it bolted down on a flat roof in Crete and previously attached to a wall mounted pole of my own design when I was in northern Greece. Make me an offer if anybody is interested. Buyer collects. I cannot guarantee it will be any better than your existing dish but it served me well for many years before I switched to Internet streaming. I don't think MABO make dishes anymore so I cannot provide a specification.

Warwick

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:33 am

Try a rescan and you should pick it up but I guess it depends on your arrangement, I have 2 LNB on my dish. My sat receiver is built into the TV and picking up the Irish stream with no problem but I have lost the English stream like others. To be honest, if you have the internet, much better to stream everything nowadays rather than mess about with sat.

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:55 am

Well, the Irish stream disappeared this morning but now found both the English & Irish stream 1 channel apart. Do a scan and flick through the channels, boring, yes but should have time on your hands at the moment!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”