No sound on computer, linked television

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Daisy

No sound on computer, linked television

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:18 pm

We have a twelve year old Philips television which we only use whilst linked to a seven year old Toshiba computer.
This has worked well for seven years, but recently the sound is no longer working on the TV.
We have to use the sound from the computer, which is not good.
Does anyone know how to get the sound back?
Thank-you.
Daisy

Tim

Re: No sound on computer, linked television

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Hi Daisy
Myself and others have noticed this - my guess is that Microsoft have updated your operating system so you can no longer use the tv volume control to adjust the volume when plugged into the computer. This makes the tv a lot quieter - annoying when you're becoming a little hard of hearing - and my guess (again) is that Microsoft want you to buy something off them to enhance the computer volume level. Or am I being cynical?

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:46 pm

What sort of connection are you using?

Warwick

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:26 pm

Kilkis, There is a lead from the computer to the tv which connects them. Tim, there is no sound at all. Daisy

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi Daisy. There are many types of lead. Is it HDMI? If so there is quite a good video on this page. Go through the various steps.

Have you got any headphones available? If so the computer will probably have an audio jack plug on it. Try plugging the headphones into the jack plug and see if you get sound on the headphones. If you do get sound on the headphones the TV might well have some sort of audio input, usually two phono/RCA sockets. There might be more phono/RCA sockets so you need to find the correct ones for audio IN. You could try connecting the audio from the computer to the TV using a suitable lead such as male jack to male phono The Amazon one I've linked is just to show you what they look like. You can buy them in any shop selling electronics/computer type stuff or through e-Shop.

A final thought. You haven't accidentally pressed the mute button on the TV remote have you?

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”