For All You Conspiracy Theorists Out There

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

For All You Conspiracy Theorists Out There

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:23 pm

I've just had one of the weirdest experiences in my life. I used my landline, which operates on VOIP, to phone a friend in the UK on their mobile. A couple of minutes into the conversation the call was interrupted. Instead of getting a dead line or the dial tone I got a ringing tone. After a few rings my friend appeared to answer the phone again. I continued where the conversation left off but after a few seconds I realised that I was hearing my friend's previous comments playing back to me. I let this run on for a short time to make sure and then hung up. I called my friend back on WhatsApp using my mobile and she confirmed that we had not reconnected. She had tried to phone me back on my landline but my phone was engaged.

Are the spooks really recording everything we say? Did I somehow trip a replay of one of their recordings? Please leave any ideas/comments in the usual dead letter drop.

Warwick

Phild

Re: For All You Conspiracy Theorists Out There

Postby Phild » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:45 pm

I began to think about this - VOIP uses UDP, so no buffering etc - then I thought "It's too hot to think, let's use Google!"

This
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2778700

led to this
https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-collaboration-subjects/repeating-voice/td-p/196261

whether the comments are a good explanation or not, I'll leave for you to decide.
----
Phil
----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:26 pm

Yes. The post by David Bender in the Cisco thread seems to fit what happened. Interesting. Who would imagine that respectable telecomms providers would rip off other respectable telecomms providers? I always had great trust in all of them as honest businesses.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:41 pm

:lol:
----

Phil

----

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Just be careful not to use any trigger words ... or you’ll be in trouble ... :wink:
Someday is now : )

BST

Postby BST » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Funnily enough had a phone call to my sister a couple of weeks ago, my mobile English SIM to her UK landline. She was telling me about something she'd bought which turned out to be the wrong size. Her mistake. Jokingly we said we would be getting adverts popping up on FB about it (we are always joking about spooks listening in). Low and behold, 30mins later I was on FB and an advert popped up for the item of clothing from the same manufacturers!! Considering I have never done an internet search on this and only had the one discussion on the phone, I was a bit gobsmacked to say the least!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:42 pm

A lot of people experience this. You don't even need to talk to someone on the phone about something. Simply talking to someone in the same room with your phone present can cause it.

I suspect that it is caused by voice assistants like Siri and Bixby that are constantly listening to whatever you say, like Alexa. I don't use the voice assistant on my phone and have it disabled. I also don't have any sort of social media account. I have never experienced this sort of advertising. Friends who do use their assistants get it all the time. When I had friends visiting from the UK last year we were sat discussing some topic one evening. Within minutes one of them got an alert on her phone from Facebook advertising an item directly linked to what we were discussing. I can't prove it but it seems to be strongly linked. I don't know if it relates just to having the assistant enabled or if it requires both the assistant and some sort of social media account to cause it.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:30 pm

Ι don't use any assistants but makes me wonder if they are switched on anyway to listen without being activated?

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:10 pm

BST wrote:Ι don't use any assistants but makes me wonder if they are switched on anyway to listen without being activated?

I have an Amazon Firestick which came with a remote. Amazon uses Alexa as an assistant. However, the remote has a button on it which appears to need pressing (and holding?) in order to activate Alexa . Perhaps it's live all the time? Perhaps I should keep the remote under a chair cushion???? Bob. :roll:
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:15 pm

I think you are safe, Bob.

On the various Echo devices Alexa is listening all the time, although you can disable the microphone by pressing a button on the device. On the Firestick Alexa is only listening while you hold the mic button down. As soon as you let go it is no longer listening.

There is also a remote for the Echo series and that also only listens when you hold the mic button down. The Echo will respond to commands spoken into the remote even if its own mic is disabled. If the button and the ring on an Echo device are blue it is listening but if they are red then it is not

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:36 am

Kilkis wrote:I think you are safe, Bob.

On the various Echo devices Alexa is listening all the time, although you can disable the microphone by pressing a button on the device. On the Firestick Alexa is only listening while you hold the mic button down. As soon as you let go it is no longer listening.

There is also a remote for the Echo series and that also only listens when you hold the mic button down. The Echo will respond to commands spoken into the remote even if its own mic is disabled. If the button and the ring on an Echo device are blue it is listening but if they are red then it is not

Warwick

Thanks Warwick. Now which cushion did I put the remote under - rats! Can't remember. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:06 am

bobscott wrote:...Now which cushion did I put the remote under - rats! Can't remember. Bob.

Sadly I have discovered that the solution I suggested to Guy to solve his insomnia problem, i.e. to dilute his tonic with more gin, has exactly the opposite effect on this problem. You can't win them all but it would be nice to break even now and again.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”