VPNs for BBC iPlayer

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
paul g

VPNs for BBC iPlayer

Postby paul g » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:37 pm

What VPNs are people having success with in watching BBC iPlayer? I was using ExpressVPN with good results, but it looks like they have given up the fight in the cat and mouse game with the BBC.

mouche

Re: VPNs for BBC iPlayer

Postby mouche » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:14 pm

NordVPN works for me watching BBC iPlayer.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi Paul
I've had excellent results with PrivateVPN. I think only one or two times have I been denied access to a UK channel in eight months.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 pm

I've also got a NordVPN account. I don't use it a lot, because I have a subscription streaming service, but, when I do use it, it works fine for me. It usually gets good reviews in Expert Reviews.

Warwick

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Paulg - I am with Express VPN and tested access in the light of your post = couldn't access IPlayer like yourself.

When this has happened in the past I have logged in and used Live chat. They are ALWAYS very quick to respond and are super helpful.

Anyway, I made contact just now and was advised they are aware of the problem and their engineers are working on fully resolving the issue and they will email me when it has been fixed.

My contact advised me to suggest to you to also make contact via Live Chat to log your problem and then they can also email you when the problem has been sorted.

In my experience to date, I don't think you need to be changing VPN provider at this point - just my thoughts from experience.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:26 pm

I think all VPN providers suffer from this problem. You might solve the problem by changing for a time and then that provider will get caught out. Express VPN also rate highly in the review that I linked although I have never used them.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:41 am

I have used SoftEther for many years without any problem, BBC, ITV, Chanel 4 and 5. Cost is £50.00 per year. I also use it to mask my location, but have to turn it off when we watch Netflix as it expects me not to be in the UK.

It is available from Unblockmytelly which used to be S4U.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

paul g

Postby paul g » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Mathitis, did what you suggested, they got back to me saying they were aware and working on it. They also mentioned a work around for the basic BBC channels to use a Swiss server and register on ZATTOO.COM. That rang a bell, I signed into zattoo with an eleven year old password and I'm watching BBC.

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Thanks for that Paul - it worked for me too!!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”