Split Word Doc

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Split Word Doc

Postby johnincrete » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:24 am

I have a problem: does anyone know or do you know a program that will help?

The end-of-term reports at my daughter's school are in Word docx files, one per class. In each docx there are separate pages for each student. Usually, she prints off a student's page ready for the parents interviews but Covid does not allow parents to come. So the interviews will be done online. The problem is that we need to have the student's page saved into a separate file so, say,create class A folder, edit multipage record so that A folder contains Tom.doc, Dick.doc, Harry.doc.etc, the sudents in class A. Zoom allows the student's record to be displayed with the face-to-face view but it has to be one file per student.
I could edit a multipage docx file and use copy/paste for each page but there are over 200 students!

Any ideas?
PS I don't mind paying for software providing I can download it.

Kilkis

Re: Split Word Doc

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:39 am

This tutorial should help you to create a module written in Visual Basic that will do the splitting for you. Assuming the existing word document is already organised as one pupil per page the second method in the tutorial should work. Otherwise you can go through the document and insert delimiters between pupils and use the first method. You don't need to know any Visual Basic as the code is there ready to copy and paste. Try it on a copy document so if it screws up you will still have the original.

Warwick

PS It would make a lot more sense if the school stored pupils' data in a relational database such as Microsoft Access. It is then very easy to create all sorts of different documents using different parts of the dataset by creating a document that accesses the data fields.

PPS I had a quick look through the Visual Basic code. The "split by page" version essentially does what you could do by hand. It automatically determines how many pages there are. It then executes a loop. Each time round the loop it selects the next page, copies just that page, creates a new file, pastes the copied text into the new file, creates a name for the new file, saves the new file, closes it and loops until it has done all the pages then stops running.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:40 am

Thanks Warwick. It seems a long time ago that I used Visual Basic but I will give it a go.

There is some new software that my daughter found when trying to solve a problem. It is specifically to do with private school admin and it is on my "to do" list to investigate. Access was the first point of call when I set up the records system some 13 years ago but I found it too difficult in the time available, I think back to my working days using the relational database of the 4th generation language "Progress" - it was so easy to use but was made obsolete by the newer systems that were more expensive and much more difficult for my logic.

Oh, the "good old days"! I could bore the pants off anyone in the pub if I had not given up the drink.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:12 am

Tried it and it worked well after I had added a delimiter to the multipage file but we have files with computer-generated names which does not help!

I failed to make the split by section break work.

I downloaded Kutools as it seemed potentially useful but how on earth do I run it? The 64-bit version that I ran from "All programs" list is not the program. Do I run it from Word? and if so, how?

I wanted to send a PM to you but I don't seem to be able to make that feature work - or is it early morning brain dead.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:20 am

If you've downloaded and installed Kutools for Word then when you open Word there should be a new tab on the control ribbon at the top of the page, probably just to the right of View, called Kutools. When you click on that tab you get a whole new set of controls do do all the things Kutools can do. You will need to play about with those controls to see how to split it into multiple documents. I have no experience of using this particular add-in.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:01 pm

I had three afterthoughts on this, John.

1 There are different downloads of Kutools. You need to make sure you install Kutools for Word.
    2 Because Kutools installs a new control directly into Word it is important that the version of Kutools you download, i.e. 32 or 64 bit matches the version of Word that you already have, i.e. also 32 or 64 bit.
    3 I am not sure exactly what you mean by "the names are computer generated. If the names in the original document are fields from some other programme, e.g. Access, then you might need to do a merge first in order to get the names as text before you do the split. I'm not certain about this. Try it both ways on copy documents.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”