SATELLITE INTERNET CONNECTION

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
cosmoman

SATELLITE INTERNET CONNECTION

Postby cosmoman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:56 am

Has anyone used the OTE satellite internet service? If not which other satellite provider have you used? Thanks

Jeffstclair

Re: SATELLITE INTERNET CONNECTION

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:32 am

Hi...We got hooked up to TOOWAY internet in 2006 I think ...we got it through a UK company Bentley Walker ...I worked fine... 65 quid a month but with a cap on band width during the day and unlimited after 12pm and before 6am ..Once you get it set up it's very stable and reliable ...I used to hook it up to a genny when the power went out in the winter ...Last year we swapped too a hook up with cosmote rural, less than half the price, unlimited usage and a bit faster ... but via the phone line so over the winter months with the wind and rain it can drop out ....Having the independence of satellite is comforting ,but the cheapness of cosmote is good ...

https://bentley-walker.com/

P&B

Postby P&B » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:50 am

Hi cosmoman,

I wondered if there was a particular reason you want satellite internet?

Friends of mine who live in Xerosterni have been waiting for a landline for the internet for 15 years and counting. Last year they got hooked up with a service from the people at Virus in Kalyves. I don't know the specifics but I think it is actually an OTE backed service that is not actually marketed by OTE themselves. I believe there are 2 pricing options depending on what speed you want. Initially Virus will come to your property and see if their signal works and if it does they can connect you up.

As I say, I am sketchy on the details but go into Virus and have a chat if this option is of interest to you.

GL, P&B

BST

Postby BST » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:54 pm

We've had Tooway now Freesat from Bentley Walker for 8 years. Only a couple of problems over 8 years. Always good download for live streaming to 2 devices. Great technical backup via phone to UK. UK IP address. We were lucky to get an unlimited deal. No chance of ever getting landline but wouldn't want one now if they paid us!

mouche

Postby mouche » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:07 am

We had Tooway for a couple of years till we hooked up with Virus in Kalyves. Tooway turned out a lot more expensive due limitations but worked fine from a technical point of view.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”