AIR COOLING FANS

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
evansmr1

AIR COOLING FANS

Postby evansmr1 » Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 pm

We have AC and hate it. We have used large bladed fans. They sort of work but do need regular cleaning and can be noisy. We have retired one and I have spent the last week researching the best method to keep cool without the A/C. Purpose is primarily the bedroom.

Following my lengthy research I attempted to purchase from Amazon.gr. Cannot ship to my area (Greece). I selected an alternative, same message. I tried Amazon Italian. Same error message.

Prior to using Amazon I searched Greece. All the items that may have been suitable are 3 or more years old. I found a very new item" Life Ice Core". New to Sun.gr who are an importer and will not sell direct. Seems as if no store has ordered it.

I am looking for an Item that uses water to cool. also filters the air. Ideally requiring a window opening. Minimum cooling area is 20 square Metres. 80 - 110 wattage. 200 - 130 euros. I do not want an old model, technology moves quickly. Dyson is very pricey. I even spoke to them at length, gave me some good advice.

Any wise people out there can advise or has recently purchased an ideal cooler. Must of course be mobile.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Kilkis

Re: AIR COOLING FANS

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 pm

Here are 17 stores selling Life Ice Core. Try opening in the Chrome browser and it should translate.

Personally I don't have much confidence in water evaporative air coolers. Water evaporative air coolers attempt to cool the air in a room by blowing air over a tank of water inside the cooler causing that to evaporate and hence remove latent heat of vaporisation from the air so cooling it. The cooling effect is very small and is accompanied by an increase in humidity in the air in the room which makes your natural cooling less effective. Simple fans do not cool a room. Fans cool you by increasing air flow over your skin, increasing evaporation of sweat and hence increasing your personal cooling. I suspect water evaporative coolers are really only doing the same thing, which is why they are usually shown blowing air directly at a person.

If you get one try an experiment. Put a thermometer in the room but shielded from the air flow. Shut the room up completely, wait a couple of hours and see how much the temperature has fallen.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 am

Thank you Warwick, I was certain that you would reply giving a sensible opinion.

Yes I agree Product made greater than 3 years ago may not be as efficient as is claimed. However, Technology moves very fast.

I spend many sad hours looking into the pros and cons of the type of unit that I considered would fit the Bill. There are a number of new ones that entered the market at the end of last year. A couple of these appeared to fit my requirement, but are not available in Greece or for shipment to Greece. Not certain if Amazon UK would deliver, but there would be problems with possible import duty plus the Warranty.

Most stores in Greece sell older stock, Welcome and Kotsovolos to name but two. Deep research led me to Life Artic Core. Kotsovolos purchase Life fans from sun.gr (an Importer and Wholesaler). I asked the Assistant in Kotsovolos if she would contact her Head Office to obtain one for me. She was quite rude and said no. I fired an email to their Head Office and received a reply stating that they would look into it after the Easter break.

All the Stores via Skroutz are based on the Mainland. I would prefer to obtain one from a store on Crete. I want some reassurance that if the product does not live up to it's claim will I be able to return it.
To my knowledge none have yet to be purchased in Greece. I am also concerned re a claim from the Manufacture that the Ice Core will cove 40 square metres. Seems an awful lot for an 80 watt motor.

Enough from me, any comments from you are always appreciated. I was hopping to find a Forum member that has down this route.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Try electronet they usually have a good supply of coolers.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Thanks, they were one of the first stores that I visited.
They do not provide the type that I wanted, almost a portable AC without the need of an exhaust tube.

All stores on Crete they seem to only sell products that are 3 or more years old in terms of manufacture..
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon May 03, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi Mike

I did a lot of research on non-AC cooling devices before coming out here permanently. I nearly bought a Dyson AM7 tower fan, but after reading a lot of technical stuff and, crucially, a lot of customer reviews, I decided that without a compressor i.e. AC, none of the products available were really satisfactory insofar as providing cold or even cool air.

Having said that, I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you find what you're after.

Tim

PS Might well be interested in the walking football if you ever resurrect that idea after covid is over.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue May 04, 2021 1:02 am

Following my lengthy research I attempted to purchase from Amazon.gr. Cannot ship to my area (Greece).

As far as I know Amazon.gr doesn't exist. Amazon.it and all the other European Amazons (.fr, .de, .nl, '.es) will ship to Greece but not all items.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:46 am

Jean answered
As far as I know Amazon.gr doesn't exist. Amazon.it and all the other European Amazons (.fr, .de, .nl, '.es) will ship to Greece but not all items.

Silly me, with lots of research in Greece using xxxxxx.gr. I should have written Amazon.de. (Germany)

Thanks for pointing out the error.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:05 am

Tim Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts. In many ways you are correct. That is why I do not want to purchase old technology. However, technology has moved on and some of the newer builds appear to have overcome the earlier problems. There is a lot of new designs around (end of 2020). But not available in Greece apart from the "Life Ice Core". It is available in Greece, only on the Mainland. Whilst there are a number of stockists I do not think that any have been sold. I would much rather purchase from a Crete store, easier to return in case of problems.
The Fan is made in China (what isn't), I am having great difficulty in finding the Manufacturers email. I would like reassurance on their claim that the product covers 40 square Metres. This seems a lot as it is only has an 80watt and that the product is quite cheap, 109euros. Amazon Germany have 3 really good new items, 110 watts just short of 200 euros but their partners do not ship to Greece.
I was attracted to the Dyson AM7 and very nearly purchased it. In fact I had a long conversation with Dyson UK about a week ago.

As regards Walking football, due to covid it has been pushed under the carpet. We had a grass 3/4 size field with nets. I will contact those who were interested later this month to see if there is still some interest.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

shine on

Postby shine on » Thu May 06, 2021 9:37 pm

I owned an ice cooler a few years ago, didn’t work and used to much ice. Anything frozen can be inserted, frozen water bottles etc but all failed. Total waste of time and the air temperature never dropped. Outside of air con units, shield the house as much as possible, invest in decent ceiling fans not the cheapy Lidl ones, paint your house white, control ventilation using floor fans directed at cooler evening air coming into the house via a door or window and push out hot air at the opposite side. Cook outside if possible, you don’t want to add oven heat to indoors.
Crete is a very hot place for most of us and it still presents a problem keeping cool. Purchase a decent thermometer and hygrometer, humidity is just as important as temperature. Air cons remove moisture that you may need. Humidifiers add moisture and are a worthy cheap investment. Oh and I buy everything from the mainland, shipped to Crete quick and cheap.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 06, 2021 11:59 pm

I agree pretty much with everything Shine on just posted with the exception of using a humidifier. Our bodies cool by evaporating sweat. If the humidity in the air is high then it is much harder to evaporate sweat and you feel hotter so the last thing you want to do is add humidity. In my area humidity is often high and one of the ways an air-conditioning unit works is to reduce the humidity at the same time that it is cooling the air so you get a dual benefit.

Freezing/cooling water to put in an evaporative cooler is also counter productive. An air-conditioning unit is simply a heat pump with the cold coil inside the house and the hot coil outside so it efficiently transfers heat from the air inside the house to the air outside. A refrigerator/freezer is exactly the same thing but with the cold coil inside the fridge/freezer and the hot coil inside the house. It transfers heat from the objects you put inside the fridge freezer and dumps it into the room. So you take water at room temperature from the tap and you extract heat from it to first cool it and then freeze it and you put all that heat into the room. You then put the cold/frozen water in an evaporative cooler and you extract exactly the same heat from the room to thaw the ice and raise it back to room temperature. Net result - zero cooling.

A fan is a fan is a fan. It cools you by increasing the circulation of the air over your body increasing evaporation of sweat. You can improve the technology all you like but you can't change the laws of physics.

Warwick

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri May 07, 2021 9:30 am

Sorry, I meant when the humidity is low, below 40%, this week was about 25% and I suffered with dryness so my humidifier (bought from the mainland) added the necessary humidity and getting it back up to 45% which helped me immensely. Distilled water from Lidl is better than tap or bottled water for the humidifier.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri May 07, 2021 9:36 am

I also don't like the dryness and noise of air con and fans , but ventilation and insolation and double glazing works for me ... this house faces South, so when it's very hot I keep the South facing doors and windows closed and the North facing door and widows open.
When we did the new roof we did 5 cms of insolation and an 5 cms air gap and that keeps the heat in and the cold out in the winter and keeps the cool air in and the heat out in the summer ...When my neighbours come around in the winter they all say "Το σπίτι σου είναι ωραίο και ζεστό"...and in the summer.... "Το σπίτι σου είναι ωραίο και δροσερό"....( I had to look up the words for this so sorry for my bad Greek ))..

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri May 07, 2021 3:19 pm

I have a good surface thermometer that gives instant, accurate temperature readings. On a very hot day last year I took the readings of 3 south facing walls at midday, one dark brown, one beige/yellow and one completely white. No prizes for what was the coolest but the results were - dark colour 48C, yellow colour 38C and white colour walls 31C. The obvious hand touch was that the white walls felt cool whilst I couldn’t hold my hand on the dark wall, think I could have fried an egg on it. The other obvious factor was that the room with the white walls felt cooler inside……which is why the Greeks paint their houses white, but you all knew this.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sat May 08, 2021 10:58 am

shine on advised how to keep cool.
My post was asking for observations and if anyone had success. It was not about how to keep cool. We have both had more experience than many expats. I have also worked in the Middle East and Africa, staying either with my Host or in Cheap Hotels without AC.

I am well aware of how to keep cool in the heat. I have lived on Crete for 12 years, lived in Singapore and also Florida, both very hot places.
The lower floor of my house is very cool as the walls are original, very thick. The 2nd floor is new and is open plan, 3 rooms plus a bathroom., no doors except to the Bathroom area. Insulated, and the two veranda door are double glazed as is the window facing south. We are not able to use ceiling fans upstairs as we bought our parrot with us, the bird, now deceased, flew free, Ceiling fans would have killed him.
All doors and windows have shutters. In the Summer these are shut and only opened as the sun moves around.

We have a large rescue dog who like to patrol the veranda, stops the Polecats from visiting. She has killed two. The door is often open and at night we sleep, winter & Summer with the door open, we cannot sleep unless fresh air is coming into the room.

We have a large garden roof and spend all summer on it apart from when it gets too hot (38 -40). We cook on the roof, have a small gas cooker, a BBQ, a Microwave and off course a refrigerator. Half of the roof is covered by artificial Grass and a covered Pergola.
Due to insulation the house can get very hot in the Summer Months, heat comes in every time a door is opened. We have AC in the bedroom, and have only used it 5 or 6 times. Neither of us like to use it, For the past 12 years we have used Pedestal fans. Initially cheap one. A few years ago we purchased two for upstairs, both 80 watt. These did a reasonable job, needed constant cleaning and move dust around (we are subject to very strong South Winds). Our house is the last one to the South of the village. Other winds do not affect us so much). These fans do not lower the room temperature, but when aimed at us they do cool the body down also provide dry eyes (not very nice)

For the past few years I have been looking at Cooling Fans. Have not found one yet that I believe can do the job of replacing the Pedestal fans. However, technology has moved on and there does appear to be some new products on the Market that may just do the job.

I am very close to making a purchase. I make many purchases from the mainland. But not for anything over 50e. For anything over 50e the purchase must be within Crete. More difficult to bang on the counter if from the Mainland and also difficult to return under a warranty.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”