Which internet provider to go for?

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
tsambi

Which internet provider to go for?

Postby tsambi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:25 am

Returning to Crete after 18 months in the UK, we are looking for an internet & landline provider that does online billing & accepts UK credit card payments.
We used to have Vodafone Double play, but did not renew the contract or take out another with anyone else when it ended in October 2021 – we were still in the UK & Vodafone stopped online billing, making it impossible to pay with our UK credit card.
We see that Wind, Nova etc. have packages at around 20 euros a month for a 24 month contract (24 Mbps unlimited internet, plus landline & some landline minutes to Greek mobiles), but do not know if any of them have online billing or accept UK credit card payment.
Any information would be most helpful, plus thoughts on how Wind, Nova or other providers compare.
Many thanks

Kilkis

Re: Which internet provider to go for?

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:25 pm

Cosmote certainly do online billing. I simply get an email with the bill attached. You can then go to their payment page enter the payment code on the bill and it should take you to a page showing the amount owed. Tick the box accepting terms and conditions and click on "Submit". That takes you to a typical card payment page where you fill in your card details.

I have no idea if it will accept a UK card. I only use Greek accounts and cards for transaction in Greece and UK accounts and cards for transactions in the UK. I suspect that IF there is a problem it will be that one of the items they use to authenticate your card is your address. The bill will be registered to a Greek address and they will probably expect the card to be registered to the same address. If the card is registered to your UK address then the two don't match and the payment might be rejected by the credit card provider. I am not saying that this will be a problem but it might be. If paying with a UK card previously worked for Vodafone I don't see why it won't work with Cosmote.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:30 pm

I use a UK debit card with Cosmote online and it works fine.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:14 pm

Is the card registered to your Greek address, Tim, or to a UK address? I have one debit card registered to a UK address, my son's house, and one to my Greek address.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:22 pm

It's registered to a UK address.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:32 pm

So that looks like Cosmote would fulfil Tsambi's requirements.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Mine's 10 Euros a month more than tsambi was hoping to pay, however! Mind you, it's fast broadband and very reliable.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:38 pm

Wind do a 50 Mbps fibre internet package for €26 per month but I have no idea how they bill or if you can pay with card.

Nova have a cheap 24 Mbps internet package for €15.75 per month if you are prepared to pay 12 months up front. I guess that would get round the billing and paying problems. No free calls with that one.

I've no idea what either are like for service. I work on the principle that by using Cosmote they own the infrastructure and provide the ISP so there is no argument who is to blame if there is a problem. I don't want to be piggy in the middle when it comes to "It's a line problem" - "It's a server problem". I've watched that play out several years ago when my company used Forthnet.

Warwick

tsambi

Postby tsambi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 am

Thank you for the helpful information Tim & Kilkis.

Paying upfront for the Nova Internet24 would certainly work, & we will look that. Appreciate the point about Cosmote infrastructure, but the monthly rate is more than we really want to pay - we will only be in Crete for a number of months each year, but do need internet when we are there.

Tsambi

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:56 am

Depending which months you intend to be in Crete it might be worth asking Cosmote about their holiday package. Instead of paying for the whole year you only pay for a certain number of months. It was designed for people with holiday homes. I think it only allowed for a single period so it wouldn't work for people who come and go several times in the year. I don't know if it is still available, I couldn't find it on their web site, or what the exact terms are. There is a communication form to send them a question linked on this page. Nothing to lose by asking.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:43 pm

tsambi wrote:Thank you for the helpful information Tim & Kilkis.

Paying upfront for the Nova Internet24 would certainly work, & we will look that. Appreciate the point about Cosmote infrastructure, but the monthly rate is more than we really want to pay - we will only be in Crete for a number of months each year, but do need internet when we are there.

Tsambi

We are with Nova, and I've paid with a UK credit card since the beginning. Online billing. Card is registered to our Greek address.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”