Anti-virus, internet protection software

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Anti-virus, internet protection software

Postby johnincrete » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:21 pm

My contract with Avast is coming up for renewal and I thought perhaps there is another protection program (I asm so out of touch I don't even know what are the right words!)

I have no big bank account someone might want to drain. I do not access "dodgy" sites. The only films I watch are on Netflix. I use TV-mucho to access British TV although there is little to watch! I use Hotmail for emails and only accesss Facebook when someone I know posts something and I get an email notification. I have no desire to use social media other than this. Finally, I do watch old TV on YouTube, particularly the comedy that makes me laugh rather than cringe at modern comedy that needs you to laugh at swearwords. So, a fairly modest usage!

Any recommendations?

Kilkis

Re: Anti-virus, internet protection software

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:49 pm

I've been using Avast free anti-virus for years now with no problem. It doesn't cost anything and usually comes out as one of the best free anti-virus programs in trials. They do keep prompting you to upgrade to the pro version for a fee but I just close the pop-ups.

I used to use AVG Free anti-virus and found that very good. Unfortunately it has an odd way of dealing with emails with Thunderbird email client which started acting up so I switched to Avast. I guess with Hotmail you actually use web mail, i.e. your emails stay on the Hotmail server, rather than using an email client to download them onto your PC so either free versions of AVG or Avast should be OK for you.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:37 pm

Wow! A piece of software that is old but still recommended. Thanks Kilkis

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:43 pm

All the anti-virus software is constantly updated. The "engine" that searches for viruses is typically updated every few weeks and the "database" of what viruses are out there is updated often every day. They also use Heuristic scanning to look for potential viruses, i.e. some code on your computer that is not in any virus database but has characteristics that look like a virus.

The paid for versions usually have more functionality than the free versions.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:43 am

It is, of course, entirely your own choice about what anti-virus measures you take...

BUT

...recent articles suggest that for Windows 10, the built in "Windows Defender" is actually good enough for most purposes.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/is-microsoft-defender-good-enough-for-your-pc
https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/is-windows-defender-good-enough-to-protect-your-pc-by-itself

I personally used to use Avast, AVG and Bitdefender freebies until the pop-ups became too annoying, and then I thought that I would try uninstalling them and seeing whether Windows Defender would do the job. It's now been about 2 years since I stopped using any of these software packages, and as far as I know, I'm clean (on 3 different computers). As John says, I don't go to dodgy websites, etc. If anything looks dodgy, I go elsewhere. I don't click on anything that looks like external links or spam, or a scam in emails.

If I ever need to go to dodgy websites (I can't see why I would) I could boot up a virtual machine to check out whether those sites have anything nasty on them. This might be beyond what ordinary users might want to do, but it is the best option.

(Disclaimer: I worked in computing for 30 years, but haven't had to keep up with the field for the last 12 years - before I left, computer security was my number 1 job)
----
Phil
----

Cake

Postby Cake » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:12 pm

I use windows defender for years now and haven't got any problems.
And i do visit dodgy torrent websites for music, movies, software etc. Picks out dodgy key generators.

Maybe lucky, idk. For me feels good. :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:55 am

I very occasionally use torrent sites. I subscribe to a streaming service that provides all the content I need BUT from time to time I find I am watching a series and one episode of the series is corrupted so I use torrents to try to source it. Also, my streaming service doesn't allow me to store downloaded content so I sometimes use torrents to download some programmes to a tablet to view while travelling. I use Vuze as a torrent server but I would be interested to know which web sites you find best for searching for TV programmes and searching for music, Cake?

Warwick

Cake

Postby Cake » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 pm

Kilkis wrote:I very occasionally use torrent sites. I subscribe to a streaming service that provides all the content I need BUT from time to time I find I am watching a series and one episode of the series is corrupted so I use torrents to try to source it. Also, my streaming service doesn't allow me to store downloaded content so I sometimes use torrents to download some programmes to a tablet to view while travelling. I use Vuze as a torrent server but I would be interested to know which web sites you find best for searching for TV programmes and searching for music, Cake?

Warwick

Hello, sorry for late reply, I do not visit often.

I don't think it's allowed to name names or give urls. Besides that I use Qbittorent where you can install a extra piece of software that searches allot of websites, so you don't have advertisements and or fake download buttons.

https://www.qbittorrent.org/ Within the program there is a search option but it needs something to install, something from Microsoft, can't remember but it is a common piece of software like Java runtime libraries. It will give install instructions when you try search. It's easy peasy.

But this is for pc...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:58 pm

Cake wrote:..I don't think it's allowed to name names or give urls...

I am not aware of any such rule? I post links to useful urls all the time. Obviously I wouldn't post a link to anything dodgy.

Cake wrote:..Besides that I use Qbittorent where you can install a extra piece of software that searches allot of websites, so you don't have advertisements and or fake download buttons...

I downloaded Qbittorent but as far as I can see it is simply a torrent client like Vuze. I cannot see how you can use it to search for torrent sources or attach addons? Can you clarify?

Normally you use a web site, viewed with your web browser, to search for sources of a particular film/TV programme. If you find what you are looking for you click on it and it asks you what you want to open it with. I would just default to Vuze and you would presumably default to Qbittorent. Vuze/Qbittorent would then go to that source file at that web address and download it to my/your hard disk. It's examples of good film/TV search web sites that I am looking for.

Warwick

Cake

Postby Cake » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:42 am

Next to the transfers tab there should be a search tab. When you try to use it it will give you a message saying you need to install python ( its like a safe thing, its a coding language like java). I cannot look at it now, have no access to laptop atm. But it is something like that.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/19/searc ... ittorrent/

I know how it works normally but I like it better from within the program, it searches all BitTorrent sites at once ordered on seeds or size or whatever you want. From te start it has limited bittorrent sites but you can manually add them, i think there are lists available to do it at once.

Greece like many countries have blocked major torrent websites so its kind of finicky. I know there are alternative links but from within QBittorrent it just works although from some sources download wont start maybe due to block, u can remove that source if you want.

Maybe vuze has same search function, i dont know.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:27 pm

Thanks Cake. I'll look into it further. Don't you just love it when they hide what is possibly the most useful function rather than having it up front and centre.

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”