Cable length

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Cable length

Postby johnincrete » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:45 pm

Does anyone know the maximum length for a cable from a router to a desktop computer for an internet connection?

Alternatively, is there any way to add a device to my desktop to be able to receive the internet from the router by WIFI?

I need to move my computer - an old desktop - from the spare bedroom to the living room. When I first moved in, OTE fitted the router in the spare bedroom by removing the old type phone connector and just connecting the wires. Now I need to return the spare bedroom to its old function and am moving my computer to an alcove in the living room. The nearest telephone socket (old type) is on the wall on the opposite side of the room. I am resigned to pay OTE for a new socket closer to the new computer position and I was wondering how big a distance can be bridged by a cable connection, router to computer. It occurs to me that there may be a device that could be added to the computer for it to be able to receive WIFI but I just don't know the right words to use in a Google search for one.

evansmr1

Re: Cable length

Postby evansmr1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:25 pm

I use cat 5 cables from my modem/router to various locations around the House. The Radio Signal is rubbish as Furniture obscures it.
On my Roof Garden I have 3 cat 5 cables, one goes to a TL external router to that I can receive a signal to my guest outside bedroom & Courtyard, the distance is aprox. 30 metres, also for mobile phones on the roof connected to the Internet. I have two cat 5 external connectors at two different locations on the roof. I connect a 3-metre cable to these two boxes, which I connect to my laptop. The reason for the two locations is due to half the roof during the day is always in sunlight through the roofed Pergola.
The longest cable from the router I would guess is 19 or 20 metres, shielded from the sun by trunking. I have run a 12 metre cable from one of the roof cat5 connectors.
The maximum distance for a cat5 cable of good quality and correctly terminated is about 100 metres

I hope that this helps you. You should be able to purchase a cable and terminators from any good TV repair store. If you are close to Agios Nikolaos I can recommend one.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:40 pm

As long as you use a decent quality cable the length shouldn't matter, within reason. I think evansmr1's suggestion of 100m is in the standards for both 100 Mbps and 1 Gbps Ethernet. Your router probably uses 100 Mbps. All the labs I have worked in have had cables going over tens of metres between switches.

If you want to use a WiFi connection to avoid running a cable everywhere you can buy a WiFi adapter for your desktop. It will plug into a USB port or into a PCIE slot inside your PC. For USB there are very small stubby ones, ones that look like a USB memory stick with a swivel-mount antenna on it and ones that sit on your desk with one or more swivel antennas and connect to the PC with a standard USB cable. Five pages of various types on e-shop or pop into Plaisio near the junction of Marko Botsari and Apokoronou. They have a car park round the back.

I've always found an Ethernet cable to give the best performance. Kafkas do a lot of plastic channel in different dimensions that just stick to the wall. The smallest, 12 x 12 mm is fine for Ethernet cable. Good for routing cable round the wall. Easy to cut with a junior eclipse hacksaw. Cables already terminated with plugs are available from e-shop up to 50m

Warwick

paul g

Postby paul g » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:07 am

powerline adapters are another option.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:21 am

paul g wrote:powerline adapters are another option.

Agreed but with caution. My house is wired with 3 phase electricity. I have found them a bit unreliable in that situation even though I made sure both sockets were on the same phase. The problem was pauses when streaming TV through a MAG box.

My original adapters worked quite well, with the odd pause, until one finally gave up the ghost. I moved the router so it was only about 4 m from the MAG box and connected with WiFi but got lots of pauses.

I bought a new pair of powerline adapters, which were higher speed, and they would not work at all. I got a 90 % refund, since they were found to be fully working by the vendor, and managed to find a pair of slow speed ones. Again those worked but with more pauses than the original pair so I switched to a 5 m Ethernet cable routed in plastic cable trunking stuck to the wall. No problems at all.

When I moved the router I used a desktop USB WiFi adapter to connect my PC to the router. Despite placing the adapter less than 1 m from the router, admittedly through a wall, it never felt smooth so I drilled a hole in the wall and used Ethernet again. Now the gods of the internet are in their heaven and all is well in the world.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:13 am

Thanks everyone for informative replies.

OTE man came and found that the socket nearest to where I am putting the computer has as input, the main signal, and so is powerful enough for me to fit a USB receiver and the computer now picks up the internet.

Sorry about my non-technical words!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”