DSL?

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
PaddyPop

DSL?

Postby PaddyPop » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi, we're going to be moving to Crete soon and bottom line is I need good solid internet to work. It doesn't need to be super-fast or anything, I just need to be able to use Skype and be able to work without it clapping out every two seconds.

What are my chances of getting that and what price am I looking at?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi Paddypop, welcome to the forum, and soon to Crete.

You need to mention whereabouts in Crete you will be living. It's a big island! ADSL is available in most places across the island now, but there are still a couple of places where it is less accessible so if you give us an idea of the area we can point you towards the best places

PaddyPop

Postby PaddyPop » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 pm

To be honest I haven't the foggiest - I assume it would be one of the bigger cities/towns - my girlfriend will be starting work there with a fairly mainstream tourism company so I guess her work would be in and around the main tourist centres - airports and hotels - So I'm guessing Heraklion or Chania for starters - though depending on the cost of living/housing we may have to seek accommodation somewhat further afield.

Sorry that's as good an indication as I can provide, but it should serve as a starting point I hope. 8)

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:37 pm

I don't see how anyone can help without knowing where you want to be. Xania and Iraklion are about two and a quarter hours apart by car (on a good day). You need to find a house which already has a telephone number (not just a line) and, preferably, already has ADSL. Getting a phone number in some places (e.g. Vamos) is simply impossible. In other places it can take months. And getting ADSL added isn't necessarily quick. Bear in mind that the Greeks taught the Spanish the meaning of "manana"!

Once you have ADSL, it will be reasonably reliable*. Much of the telephone infrastructure is relatively new on Crete.

*Barring the odd power cut or two.

PaddyPop

Postby PaddyPop » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks for the info Martin.

As regards the location, it's not so much a case of where I want to be, more like where my girlfriend's told to be by her company.

DAVETHELOCKSMITH

adsl lines

Postby DAVETHELOCKSMITH » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:35 pm

It only took 7 days from our order at the Vamos OTE office for a phone line to be installed in Kefalas and 1 month for the Adsl line to be connected :D

Dave.
Moonspinners Crete: Security and property services

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:42 pm

A couple of little snags to watch out for.

Friends in a nearby village, and several of their Greek neighbours, would like to get ADSL. They all have phone lines and numbers. The exchange is about 2 km away so no major problem. There are spare ports in the exchange. The lines, however, are so poor there is no chance of ADSL working. Advice from OTE. Move house.

We live about 300 m from the exchange and have ADSL. Our neighbours got a phone line very quickly when they moved in and asked for ADSL. Sorry there is a technical problem. It took them over a year and many visits to OTE to finally discover what the "technical problem" was. They are on a party line and that cannot be connected to ADSL. Apparently in our particular area of the village there are 17 people on 10 lines. After much discussion the guy in the technical section of OTE in Chania agreed to see what he could do about it. Recently an engineer came round the area and messed about in the various boxes and then told them that if they waited a few days to allow the computer system to get updated they would be OK for ADSL. Three weeks later OTE in Chania are still saying they cannot have ADSL because there is a "technical problem".

Warwick

PaddyPop

Postby PaddyPop » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:35 am

Hmm, this all sounds very familiar

What's the internet cafe scene like? good/bad? cheap/expensive?

If a guy had no choice but to work from an internet cafe for a while would it be possible?

Also? Is it alright to use Skype down there?

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:44 am

We moved to Malia at the end of January.

We went to OTE on the Wednesday, had a line/number on the Thursday and had ADSL on the Friday!
Living in Crete!!

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:52 am

One backup option would be to have a netbook and use Skype from it but via the wireless network of an internet cafe or a hotspot (or move next door to Allan....sorry that is an insider joke from another thread)

Another option if you are in a conurbation would be the 3G wireless dongle from the mobile phone people. Its an annual contract and quite pricy and I don't know if you would have problems getting it because you do not have a permanent address...maybe annual money up front would solve that.....but it's flexible, works wherever you move to but might go down to 2G (dial up speeds and poor Skype if outside the cities. I am 16k outside and only 2G but there again I don't rely on it. Bad Skype calls can be very unprofessional and can lose you business. Don't know how much Skype calls put on your download limit and it is very expensive if you go over your limit.

Even if you have an adsl lines be prepared for times when it is unusable for one reason or another and that can go on for days not hours. Most adsl users here have alternative dial up options set up for when this happens (and it has been pretty bad for roughly the last 3 weeks). Another favourite trick is for them to be doing work on the lines but they transfer 5000 people down a line intended for 50 users....result is huge contention problems with the occasional email slipping through or post but totally unusable for Skype

Seems all doom and gloom yet somehow we learn to live with it

PaddyPop

Postby PaddyPop » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:46 pm

We moved to Malia at the end of January.

We went to OTE on the Wednesday, had a line/number on the Thursday and had ADSL on the Friday!

Wow! That's reassuring.

As you know already from the other thread, but for the rest of you; that's where we found my gf's going to be stationed, in and around that area, Malia/Gouves I'm told her territory will be Chersonissos. Does that sound right to everyone?

Let me know what it's like there and what the broadband's like.
Looking to get a gaff down there.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:32 pm

It's really going to depend exactly where you end up. We took the 2mb package from OTE and we pretty much get that speed at all times.

Our friends live outside Hersonissos and asked to upgrade from the 1mb to the 2mb but later discovered that they couldn't get the 2mb because of where they were (signal wasn't good enough or something).
Living in Crete!!

PaddyPop

Postby PaddyPop » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:10 pm

Would I be right to assume the larger the urban area the higher quality the broadband?

andreass

Postby andreass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:47 am

Its been a month, and we still didnt get our line and dsl.
All calls, visit to OTE doesnt give any result. Either they dont give any reasons why they dont come.

That's the worst organization i ever met in my life.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:56 pm

It's not what you know, it's whom. We got our phone line connected within a week and ADSL enabled after another three days. I don't know how many "envelopes" exchanged hands but our agent achieved a miracle. He did have a moan about having to pay to have the "line installed" when the wires were already there! (Previous owner had had a phone.)

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”