UK TV on PC

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
BrianS

UK TV on PC

Postby BrianS » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:51 am

We got very excited a couple of weeks ago when we got BBC iPlayer working, but only for a day!
Has anyone got recent experience of using a Slingbox to receive UK TV programmes on their laptop here?
Any other alternatives?

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 am

I have a couple of customers who have a working slingbox on their pc's so it can be done.
I don't use it myself so I cannot tell you much about the details except that you need quite a bit of memory in the machines otherwise it will tend to lock up after a certain time (90 mins in the case of my customers, upped RAM from .5 Meg to 1.5 meg and no further problem).

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:27 pm

You can certainly get all UK TV on your PC over here for a fairly modest cost, without a Slingbox, providing that you have a reasonable ADSL connection. Yes, you need a UK IP address for all of them – BBC iPlayer, C4 on demand and ITV catch up, but I think most people go down the proxy route and fail. We did exactly that. We have since subscribed to a VPN service which gives us a UK IP address and it has been faultless for 4 months. During the 4 months, we have quite happily watched as much of the on demand stuff as we liked. We use a very old Toshiba laptop (with a little extra memory) plugged into the RGB feed of a cheapo Alex Pak LCD TV and it all works fine. (The TV is optional, but it feels more like watching TV than peering at a laptop screen). The connection stats are as follows: we have a standard OTE 2Mbps ADSL line. Using Speedtest, this achieves regular download speeds of c. 1.7 Mbps when not pushed through the VPN. Connecting via the VPN squeezes this a bit, but testing it just before posting this, a 1.72 Mbps (no VPN) connection dropped to 1.22 Mbps when connected through the VPN. This is more than adequate for on demand TV (iPlayer’s standard requirement is 512 Kbps) and picture quality, whilst not HD, is fine, even at full screen resolution. We most notice it when faced with a large patch of one colour (green field, blue sky etc) when the bulk colour goes a little patchy. On my calculations, at 512 Kbps, you will “consume” about 230 MB of bandwdth per hour of telly watching. One word of warning – do not use the download service which (certainly for BBC and I think for C4) uses the Kontiki P2P software. You have absolutely no control over bandwidth usage, and it is very greedy in seeding programmes outwards. We tried it, but very quickly abandoned it after looking at the bandwidth stats. The VPN we are with costs USD10 per month (discounted rate for a 6 month subscription). There are several VPN providers – just Google search. I guess the greatest danger is that the TV providers monitor IP ranges, home in on the VPN providers and ultimately block them. For the moment, though, I’m grateful to be watching current UK programming as an alternative to Arabsat.

Paul

Paleo

www.adtelly.tv

Postby Paleo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:43 pm

There is a far, far easier way to watch BBC iplayer, ITV, CH4 on demand etc over the net and that is using the ADTelly toolbar.

It wins out in my opinion because of its simplicity, ease of use and low cost.

You get a toolbar which works on the Firefox browser and you just click on the iplayer button, for example, and it routes you through their UK servers. When you navigate away, it disengages and routes you back through your normal server again.

I had been messing about trying to find & install proxies and getting nowhere but even a real computer dummy like me had it up & working in 5 minutes!

The best of it is that its only costs £5 a month. Nothing!

There is a video demonstration on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9wdXT2RQI

The website address is www.adtelly.tv

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:37 am

Thanks for the info. I now have a £5 per month subscription with my-private-network.co.uk
Even with my basic 1Mbps ADSL connection BBC iPlayer works fine.

gardon

Postby gardon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Been using adtelly for a week now. No problems, seems good value for a fiver.

ladylinda

u.k.tv

Postby ladylinda » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi! Palio,
I tried out your site and managed to get it loaded and registered and even watched a couple of programmes.
But when we tried to re- load firefox after using our usual Msn favourites page , we find that we cannot losa firefox now at all.
Its a bit of a nuisance as we have some favourites on there too.
Firefox is always a good indicator for the internet speed working properly as it usually loads so fast. any idea what has gone wrong!
Thanks

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Linda

I don't know the product but not everything works with Firefox, I have a couple of football channels that only work properly with IE and are streaming media just like your tv thing. Having said that I have other streaming media (justin.tv) which works fine with Firefox (and Shiretoko the beta new Firefox). It varies. Does anyone else have it working on Firefox?
You can always use System Restore to put the system back to before installing this product and then try again. Not entirely sure that System Restore ( a MSoft product) will restore Firefox (a non MSoft product) 100% accurately though. It should but I can think of aspects which potentially might not.
Your bookmarks will not be lost whatever you do though they may need to be re associated with Firefox.
Experiment and have fun, if all else fails I can sort it but it's better for you to try first.

ladylinda

u.k.tv

Postby ladylinda » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks Paul, but it came back after rebooting although there are some channels listed that it still wont let me use. I will persevere though , before screaming help to you.
By the way you and your good wife are invited to Mary's and mine joint birthday party on thursday at "boyz".
If you can make it. Marys big one!! Also celebrating Pats , and Joy from Stavros.
Come dressed in sixties clothes if you can as we are dressing up. should be a laugh!!
regards
Linda

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:03 pm

oh, Paul, is that where you get the Boyz are us???
Living in Crete!!

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:16 am

any link between Boyz R Us and myself is a nasty vicious rumour and I shall continue to deny all knowledge of the site even if the pictures do get out onto the net. (it's not easy getting into those positions you know, it took me days to get my back straightened out)

ladylinda

u.k.telly

Postby ladylinda » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Hey Hey Paul.. (song in there somewhere)

Hope your back will stand up to sixties go go dancing for thursday.

Back to the computer, dratted firefox not come back, the new telly site ate it.
I am getting an error message "access denied "to google.

Luckily we usually use msn as main page.
I tried using a restore point and restarting , but still no firefox and definetly no u.k. telly for which , luckily I paid only one months fee, but sadly only watched 2 programmes on before it kaput the system.

Any ideas?

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:11 pm

it might be obvious but have you gone to programs and to Mozilla Firefox to start it up or are you just looking where the desktop icon used to be (and could have easily been deleted)

.....disregard the above

You are not alone with the problem Linda

go here http://www.adtelly.tv/community/ and look at the shoutbox at the top of the page. Haven't read it further yet but it's your symptoms

...and it requires a log in which might just be your account login or it might be that you have to join the forum

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:53 am

A slight diversion from the main topic here.

I don't want to watch programmes on a computer monitor if I can avoid it. Is there any way I can "send" or transfer them to a digital TV? Is the method described using a laptop successful?

Saving them to disk (DVD) has been tried (I know it isn't legal) and the DVD will only play back on a PC. Catch 22?

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:16 pm

I presume your question is based around wanting to sit in an armchair and watch tv rather than sit in front of a desk & monitor

Many of the flat tv screens can take analogue (blue, 3 rows of pins/holes) as does a computer monitor. In that case a laptop nearby can be sufficient

Quite a few laptops have sockets which are made to output to a CRT tv (originally for presentations). Not used it myself but my son rigged it up here to watch a film from his laptop so must be fairly common.

Lots of computer graphics cards put a digital (usually white and pins/holes in all directions) signal out which can go direct into tv or computer monitor. Not sure on digital distance limitations

I did see a wireless version of the above a couple of years ago but it was very expensive

I did put in a wired version, analogue, again a couple of years ago, but because of the distance it needed a special long cable made up and it required a booster to retain signal quality over that distance. Not phenomenally expensive but not cheap either

So in short yes it is doable

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”