UK TV on PC

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Yes, sit in an armchair, cat on lap etc..
Thanks Paul.

gardon

Postby gardon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Eleni, the cable you need is a VGA cable which cost 3.50 in Multirama Chania. We are now watching BBC on our TV and it is very good quality. Only costs £5 per month

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:21 pm

Careful because it is not always that simple

It depends on the quality that is pushed out by the pc, the quality build of the cable used to carry and the quality required at the receiving end.

a VGA cable ( the (usually) blue 3 rows of pins/holes socket) has limits usually agreed at 1600x1200@60hz of 1 metre going out to 9 metres if only 1024x768@60Hz resolution is required. So the further you go from the source the more the picture resolution drops off.

DVI the (white) digital signal cable has roughly the same restrictions if a high grade cable but the normal consumer grade cable is limited to 5 metres

A signal repeater is advised for cables to go over the specified limit.

The above are generally agreed values there will always be exceptions.

Not all TV's have a VGA input. Some have the yellow and white jack sockets such as you would use to display your personal photographs or video through your tv. Some don't even have that.

So yes a VGA cable may well be enough but do check first it will do what you want

If none of the above are acceptable then we run into the realms of wireless or conversion to say CAT5 and then back at the other end but thats going out on a limb somewhat for the cat/armchair scenario

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:01 pm

A lot of laptops have an S-Video output and TVs often have an S-Video input so a straightforward S-Video cable would do. You can also get an S-Video to SCART cable that will work if the TV does not have an S-Video input.

Warwick

PS (Added later) For example if your laptop has an S-video socket you could use http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13398 and http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48366

Connect the S-video connector to the laptop S-Video output.
Connect the 3.5 mm plug to the laptop audio line output.
Connect the two phono plugs on the SCART lead to the two phono sockets on the 3.5 mm plug cable.
Connect the SCART plug to the TV.

Similar cables will be available from you local friendly AV shop.

blackdog

Internet TV up and working here

Postby blackdog » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:25 pm

I have finally managed to get internet telly from back home for free. I understood the principles and what would be required from the start, that is some sort of maintainable connection between myself and a PC back home which could pass on my requests to the services I wanted.
For the techies out there I wanted to set up a virtual private network and use an http proxy on the other end. I have friends back home on cable connections and I am on OTE ADSL. So both IP address are dynamic and liable to change at a moments notice. All machines are behind different tastes of firewalls, NAT devices and routers. I managed to get someone at the other end willing to share some bandwidth with but not tech savvy at all which introduced another 'slight' configuration problem.
Anyway after trying several other options the one we finally settled for was using Logmein Hamachi at both ends to establish the VPN. This of course if free software. It works, it's secure and is very very easy to set up. Having got that sorted we opted for Freeproxy (Open Source and Free) since this can bind itself to the Hamachi connection meaning nobody else can use the proxy other than those on your VPN. Again minimal configuration. Firewall needed configuring to allow the proxy and browsers needed to be set up to use the proxy.
I have a video of it working http://davenirene.blogspot.com, and have put a full illustrated setup method http://users.otenet.gr/~mari95/index.html for those interested in trying it themselves. Hope you find this useful.

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:09 pm

paulh wrote:it might be obvious but have you gone to programs and to Mozilla Firefox to start it up or are you just looking where the desktop icon used to be (and could have easily been deleted)

.....disregard the above

You are not alone with the problem Linda

go here http://www.adtelly.tv/community/ and look at the shoutbox at the top of the page. Haven't read it further yet but it's your symptoms

...and it requires a log in which might just be your account login or it might be that you have to join the forum

Hi all.

There were some issues with Adtelly which only arose when Firefox updated recently.

For anyone who has had annoying access denied messages in firefox, please update the ADTelly toolbar (button on left hand side of toolbar or through tools>add-ons in Firefox) to get the free update.

ADtelly is goingto announce some exciting new developments in its service in the next few days also.

griffy

Postby griffy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi guys,
like Eleni, we would like to watch bbc iplayer on our tv. our friend has VGA to VGA which is no problem but we dont have the VGA connection on our TV we have either a scart at the back or the yellow, white, red plug in type at the front, does anyone know if a cable for this exsists and if so can we get it locally as in Chania. Sorry if someone has already mentioned this but things got a bit technical at times and everything I was reading I didnt really understand. :roll:

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:52 pm

is the signal coming from a laptop or a desktop pc?

a lot of laptops have S-Video output sockets (small round with place for several pins to go in). These work with the YWR sockets you mention to give you your TV output

They are often mistaken for a PS2 keyboard or mouse socket (which they don't take, just look like)

These were originally developed to enable a presentation on a laptop to be given through the larger screen of a television so they are made for the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video gives heavy duty details but skim it for basic info

Scart is far better quality if you can get a way for that to work with the laptop/pc but it is not an area I have experience of
Last edited by paulh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffy

Postby griffy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:08 pm

Paul
thanks for the quick reply,
it's a laptop with just the usual multi pin plugs in the back

Griffy

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:15 pm

If you say what make and model of laptop I can probably find it's specification to see if it has a S-Video output socket

I have 4 laptops here all of which have a VGA socket, none of which have S-Video so it's not that common nowadays

griffy

Postby griffy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Paulh,
Thanks again for replying, have just figured out what a s-video socket is and no we do not have one, our laptop is a Ergo Microlite XL, ive never heard of it before, so not a common one my brother in law upgraded it and gave it to me for xmas.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Its a badged version and underneath it really is an Asus M2000e and the manual for it is here

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/M20 ... _M2_HW.pdf

seems like you will be best served by using your computer VGA output (its all you have) to either SCART (male I presume) or S-Video (the yellow & white) on your TV.

SCART may already be used on your TV to cd player so perhaps S-Video is favourite.

I have just looked through the online Maplin catalogue and they don't appear to have any VGA->S-Video offerings. They do have SCART to VGA but this is not what you want and it makes that clear on the Q/A part. However it might serve as a price indication. 60 quid!

As Maplins have some really weird and wonderful cables but not what you need, on the balance of probabilities I reckon you would be extremely lucky to find such a cable in Chania

BrianS

PC TV cable connections

Postby BrianS » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:41 am

I ended up getting a cable connection using the VGA socket on my laptop to the component video adaptor (RCA sockets) on my TV. Very cheap on ebay at £4 or less plus postage. A separate audio cable is required which I bought less cheaply (10 euros) from Multirama in Chania.
If you want to check out all possible cable connections go to:
www.pc-tv-connect.co.uk

griffy

Postby griffy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for the info, will check into it shortly, and hopefully before to long will be happily watching bbc i player. again thanks, as wouldnt have had a clue without your help.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”