Has anybody got a Mac in Crete?

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Jim-aki & Cat

Has anybody got a Mac in Crete?

Postby Jim-aki & Cat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Moving over in the next few months. I know Crete is very PC orientated but I am bringing my mac over, just wondered if any one else has one with ADSL connection and if there is anything i need to consider to get it connected`/

many thanks :?:

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Quite a lot of Macs about and nobody seems to have problems but .......... where in Crete are you settling? In some places the problem is getting a 'phone line.

oliveoyl

Postby oliveoyl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:35 pm

I have a Mac book and a broad band connection through OTE. Where there have been problems, OTE have had absolutely no idea about Macs, luckily through the generosity and expertise of forum members I have been able to rectify the problems.

My laptop is covered by AppleCare which isn't very useful over here as there are no Apple authorized service technicians n Greece under this scheme. I keep my fingers crossed......

Jim-aki & Cat

Postby Jim-aki & Cat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:35 pm

oliveoyl wrote:I have a Mac book and a broad band connection through OTE. Where there have been problems, OTE have had absolutely no idea about Macs, luckily through the generosity and expertise of forum members I have been able to rectify the problems.

My laptop is covered by AppleCare which isn't very useful over here as there are no Apple authorized service technicians n Greece under this scheme. I keep my fingers crossed......

Hi there, what sort of problems have you had? I heard that getting a router to recognize the mac can be tricky. Should I bring anything with me?

Also interesting about the Applecare. They have been trying to get me to extend it and assured me that I can use it in Greece, so good to know before I splash out!

oliveoyl

Postby oliveoyl » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:15 pm

The routers that come as part of a package can be total pants depending on what they are farming out that week, maybe bring your own. My connection problems in the end came down to the fact that Mac don't use WAP (because they say it's not secure, you need to enter a WEP) whereas OTE help people insist that you must use the WAP prompter. Sounds nuts but very simple in the end (if you want to see the entire thread go down to 25 July 08, you will also see how great people are at helping out)

In terms of AppleCare, I too was told I would be covered (I'm not) but you would have access to the helpline which is useful. It may be worth a double check with the central helpline (Regents St) to see if this has changed.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:52 am

I'm moving to western Crete in September with several Apple Mac computers. As the chance of getting them repaired is slim, I'm bringing plenty of spares. Having said that, I have repaired/upgraded my own Mac Minis and G4 towers so I'm quite familiar with them.

If you rely heavily on your Mac, I'd certainly recommend having a spare one. And please don't ask me to work on any laptop or on an iMac (that's basically a vertical laptop). They are pigs to dismantle!
As for ADSL, you should be able to plug the Ethernet cable into your Mac and it will simply work. In many places you won't need any form of security if nobody's going to get within wireless range anyway.

I'm bringing two wireless routers (which I happen to have) because I don't trust the OTE-supplied router that's currently installed in my house. But routers are available to buy in the major towns.

Oh, you'll need a UPS, too. The electricity supply has a reputation for not being available 100%.

filippos wrote:but .......... where in Crete are you settling? In some places the problem is getting a 'phone line.

You didn't answer the question. Filippos is correct. In some places, the phone number allocation is complete so you'll be waiting for someone to die!

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 am

"As for ADSL, you should be able to plug the Ethernet cable into your Mac and it will simply work. In many places you won't need any form of security if nobody's going to get within wireless range anyway."

As Martin says......exactly so.

Wireless is preferable if you can get it up and running (and I have with Mac's on OTE equipment) to exclude the risk of a lightening hit down the telephone line blowing the router and then travelling down the ethernet and blowing components of your motherboard. Some places are notorious for this happening. Kefelas is one example. Get it up and running on ethernet so you know it works then sort the wireless out. I have Mac customers there (Kefelas) on wireless with WEP. Just make sure your router is WEP capable.

The initial problem is that when you get OTEnet kit you follow the instructions and it says "put the disk in" and of course all the software on it is pc not Mac based. Stumped. So either get someone with a laptop to configure the router for you or better still learn how to do it via the browser without the software disk.

Alternatively get a good router in the UK and you can ensure it is WEP capable and you know how to manipulate it before you even leave the UK. If you know the wireless aspect works in the UK it is going to work here too. Its a function of/between your machine and the router which is no different in Crete, UK or Outer Mongolia. Also whilst doing that in the UK you will get to know how to manipulate the router and it will be easy to change it to the OTEnet parameters as you won't be learning about OTEnet and the router at the same time. If you then get an OTEnet router when you are over here you can have that as a backup just in case.

Failing all that you could ignore wireless security if it is a problem and just set the router up to only work with the Machine Address Code (MAC) of the Mac. It can be spoofed and WEP is better but you would have to be paranoid to think it would be spoofed here.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:06 pm

paulh wrote:lightening hit down the telephone line blowing the router and then travelling down the ethernet and blowing components of your motherboard. Some places are notorious for this happening. Kefelas is one example.

B*gger. I hope you don't mean "lightning" and "Kefalas" which is where I'll be? :(
Mind, the alternative was going to be Likotinera' which is probably even worse for lightning exposure.

Anyway, thanks. You've reminded me that I need to bring a lightning protector.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Sorry but yep that's what I meant and where I meant and if you are there you will need some heavy duty protection against lightning.

There is the case I mentioned which was a works laptop and he had to go back to the UK to have a new one set up with the VPN security by his work techies. That new one was stolen from his hire car the day before he flew back so he had to stay another week, another laptop and another return airfare so not a cheap lesson

I have one family there on their 4th router in 2 years. The indoor telephone lines now go through a surge protector. I'm not sure it is going to be any good against lightning but its an effort which is better than nothing. They are wireless so no knock on damage to the computer

I know of a house on the slope looking east from Kefalas who got a near hit and every socket was popped out from the wall and a black rim.

Just three examples from there I happen to have heard of and it is incidental hearing about them rather than part of my work. One other place I know of with a similar reputation but it is in a totally different area though geographically similar. A ridge.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:37 pm

Hmm, I may get more hot water from the roof tank than I expected! 8)

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:01 am

I live in a village near Kefalas and I have a Mac and a PC. I have industrial strength lightning protection for the house (especially in the autumn the storms can take on Biblical proportions). Connecting my Mac to a wireless router (bought it at the OTE shop) was a lot simpler than connecting my PC as there are step-by-step instructions on the Mac for different Airport configurations.
Before buying the router I checked on the OTE website what was available and they are all Mac compatible.

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:06 am

I forgot to say that getting your Mac repaired here might be difficult, but how often have you had a problem? I've been using Macs for over 20 years and it was only the first one which needed any sort of attention.
I bought my first PC laptop 18 months ago and had to use the excellent services of PaulH within the first year.

Jim-aki & Cat

Postby Jim-aki & Cat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Well many thanks for all your replies, a lot of food for thought. Its good to know I am not the only mac crank in Crete, and yes at times I will be living up a mountain near Kissamos, and at other times I will be living in a house that already is connected near Tavronitis.

Why do you all have macs? (apart from them being just so surperb!) Do you just like them or are they for mulitmedia work? It would be good to know there are others when I am out there and cursing!

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:54 pm

I wrote my first book (technical) on a BBC microcomputer in the summer of 1987. At that time MS Word was available only on the Mac so I took the BBC disc to an office that had a £7000 system comprising a Mac Plus with 30MB Hard Drive (!) and laser printer. I was able to load my text file into "Word", format the section headings etc. then left it printing while we had lunch. I took the resultant printout to the printing factory and collected 1000 copies a week later, which I sold at £3000 profit.

I was given that Apple Mac Plus a few months later as the office upgraded to (I think) a Mac LC2. I've used Macs ever since. Like Stephen Fry, I've lost count of how many I have now!

I still write (technical) books and run a mail-order business. I don't own a Windows PC. In 22 years I have never seen a virus or a trojan. (Been "on-line" since 1995.)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:37 pm

The first and last one I used was in the late 1970's and early 1980's. An Apple II running Visicalc, one of the earliest spread sheets. Pictured on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_series

Warwick

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”