Hotmail Security

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Clio

Hotmail Security

Postby Clio » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:10 pm

I've had the same Hotmail address, the same password, for a decade with no problems. I keep the "save my email address' box ticked so when I log on to the site my address is filled in automatically. Yesterday when I logged on there was a strange address in the box - a dodgy sounding one starting in "Butch". I deleted it. Spent half an hour finding out how to notify Hotmail, finally did so, but have as yet had no reply. Just now I had the same problem, with another strange address. I'm sure this is an everyday kind of problem and somebody savvier than me can tell me what is going on, and if I need to do anything about it? It makes me feel rather uncomfortable.
PS No-one else has been using my computer.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Interesting.......hotmail have just included a new feature to make it easier for their clients whereby it automatically senses the User and applies the appropriate name.....Butch you say :) :)

oh well that's me off another Christmas card list.......

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:49 pm

ok sensible reply now........don't have a hotmail account but I have to create one for test purposes soon I'll see if I can make it do something similar. Hotmail gets really tangled up with Windows Live Mail. Which flavour is yours? Hotmail or Windows Live whatever. (open it then read from the top left hand corner)

Is it picking up passwords (not necessarily for hotmail) that have been tried in the machine earlier for other sites or memberships and just falling over it's feet when trying to be clever

To be on the safe side do a full antivirus scan

Get thumbscrews on anyone else who might have used the machine in your absence and tried various user names (like trying to guess their friends hotmail logon)

BeckyL

Postby BeckyL » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:09 pm

Sorry to hitchhike your post... Clio/Paul could you let me know an email address how to contact hotmail? I have a slight 'niggle' to tell them about, but can't for the life of me find a contact email for them. After about half an hour's searching a coupla weeks ago, I filled in their online form thing, but it was more to give them feedback, and didn't need me to put in my email. I did tho', but haven't heard back. Thanks, b

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:51 pm

I would definitely change the password.

Sometimes I get mail undeliverable messages, for mails I didn't try to send, and changing the password stops this.

It would give you peace of mind no one else is logging into your account.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:55 pm

Paul, thanks, it's Hotmail. I got this reply: I have reviewed the information you provided and have determined that your issue is related to Windows Live ID. We would like to point you to the right direction since it is our goal to provide technical support quickly and accurately to our members. The best department to assist you with your concern would be the Windows Live Technical Support Team. For your convenience, I have transferred your e-mail to the correct department and they should contact you within 24 hours.
Scanning has revealed it was high time I scanned. Have cleaned up but it's still happening, now every time. Either I get nothing in the address field, or something exotic.

Becky I'm really sorry but I was cross-eyed by the time I succeeded in messaging Hotmail Customer Support and I can't for the life of me remember how I did it.

Assimilate yes I guess I'll have to consider changing password, and will certainly do so if that's what Hotmail advise.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”