Computer loudspeakers

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
SatCure

Computer loudspeakers

Postby SatCure » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:12 am

Here (in the UK) I have a set of speakers connected to my computer via a 3.5mm jack plug. There's a pair of "tweeters", with volume and tone controls, and a large bass reflex unit. I picked these up for twenty quid from a car scrapyard. (I think the proprietor had bought a job lot.)

I was wondering if I might buy a similar set in Western Crete for not-too-much money as I'd rather leave these here.

I expect "Multirama" could supply but I don't really want to pay their prices if I can avoid it. Also, although the shop is close to the car park, I'm not sure I can carry the weight. I have a minor but chronic back problem, which means I shouldn't lift more than 2kg.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 am

If you park in the underground car park with the entrance opposite the Forthnet shop you're directly under Interactive Computer Centre. Spiros has good English and his sidekick, Adonis, has more than adequate English.

At the car park you leave the keys and they park. On leaving, stop at the top of the exit ramp, load the goods and go.
Last edited by filippos on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:35 am

Car park?

You mean in Crete you don't do it the Athenian way?

Just pull up on the pavement directly outside the shop and if that's taken just double park next to the car that took the spot. Don't worry about the mums and their pushchairs they can use the road!

If you do that the shop keeper will even carry the good out for you and load the car. So no lifting, no car parking worries. No nothing.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:57 am

Take your point but in parts of Xania it can be worse than Athens. One problem where these shops are located is that the whole street is often double-parked already. At the shop I mentioned the underground car park exit ramp emerges right beside the shop doorway. Shop owner waits at the exit for customer to drive up, loads boot and away you go**.

The only slightly tricky bit is that kerbside vehicles overhang the exit so it can be a bit of a squeeze to get through and turn into the traffic flow especially when, as usual, they're double parked. [The traffic is usually slow moving because of the number of women with buggies and children walking in the middle of what's left of the road.]

** I've only once seen a car actually parked [sorry, abandoned] on exit ramp - facing into the place. Until it departed after about 15 mins. the car park operator directed customers out via the entrance ramp. Nobody seemed fazed in the slightest.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Getting back to my original question:
I was wondering if I might buy a similar set in Western Crete for not-too-much money as I'd rather leave these here.

I expect "Multirama" could supply but I don't really want to pay their prices if I can avoid it.

Maybe Paul can supply?

I should add that my hearing isn't brilliant but 10 Watts RMS should be more than adequate.

If I *have* to go to Xania, I always use the car park near Multirama where you leave your keys in the car. My Satnav can get me there. I get lost if I try going anywhere else. :(

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:14 pm

MartinP wrote:If I *have* to go to Xania,
If you don't want to go to Xania it might be worth asking in the computer shop in Kalyves. I doubt that Spiros will have what you want in stock but he's always prepared to order stuff and his prices are reasonable.
... I always use the car park near Multirama where you leave your keys in the car.
If that's the car park with the entrance about opposite the Forthnet shop in the side street it's the one I'm talking about. The computer shop [Interactive] is right next to the exit onto Apokoronou.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 pm

I'll ask my wife. I have no sense of direction. I even get lost looking for the toilet at the bus station. (Last time I looked I only found a hole in the ground where it had been!)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Martin might mean Apollo parking with the entrance on Marko Botsari, not far from Multirama. I think this one is better known than the one under Inter@ctive.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:13 pm

MartinP wrote:If I *have* to go to Xania, I always use the car park near Multirama where you leave your keys in the car.
I haven't used the new multi-storey opposite the old Apollon but I don't think you leave the keys in the car there [but could be completely wrong]. At the one under Inter@ctive you leave the car, with key, at the ticket office and they park it.

As Martin's direction finding seems poor perhaps when next he finds his usual car park he'll let us know which it is.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:31 pm

My wife thinks the car park name is Απολλον.
You drive into the entrance, abandon the car with key inside, then get a ticket from the glass-fronted kiosk inside. It appeared to have another entrance in the next street.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:54 pm

That is the one Warwick suggested. New & multi-storey?? Takes its name from the cinema which used to be opposite and which has been converted a Marinopoulos supermarket.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”