New Version of Firefox

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

New Version of Firefox

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:54 pm

In case you hadn't noticed and are interested, Version 3.5.1 of Firefox is now available for download. I am wary of updating to new versions since I am running a pretty ancient PC and new versions have a tendency to put on weight. This one seems OK. It is running fine on my 667 MHZ Pentium III with 768 MB of memory.

I cannot see any major advantages but I suppose that depends on what features you use. I am pretty conservative. It does have the dummy tab to the right of the tabs in use so you can open a new tab just by clicking on it instead of going up to the menu.

Warwick

filippos

Re: New Version of Firefox

Postby filippos » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Kilkis wrote:you can open a new tab just by clicking on it instead of going up to the menu.
... or adding an "Open new tab" and/or "Open new window" button to the toolbar.*

I've been using it for about three weeks and it seems OK. As you say, not much different from the previous version.

* PS Or pasting a new URL into the address bar and clicking with the scroll wheel.

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:37 pm

I always just hit ctrl+t to open new tabs in all browsers.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Assimilate wrote:I always just hit ctrl+t to open new tabs in all browsers.

I like that one. Thanks, v. easy.

Vertiginous

Postby Vertiginous » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi Kilkis

If running old hardware it might perhaps pay to at least try Opera, if you haven't already. The Opera browser has a reputation for being much less of a resource hog than Firefox and certainly in the past has ran noticeably faster than FF (though I believe Firefox 3.5.x is supposed to have got a significant speed up and memory footprint reduction over older versions). Opera is a much underrated browser and pioneered some nice features ahead of Firefox.

Google Chrome - while I haven't tried it yet - is probably also less of a hog than Firefox and the difference may be noticeable on an old machine.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 pm

I seem to recall reading recently that the latest "Safari" browser (free) beat the pants off the rest for sheer speed.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:51 pm

why stick to just one browser?

Use the one that has the strengths for the particular job at the time

IE8....certain sites need IE to run properly
FF 3.51 .... the workhorse with lots of add ons available to go with the variety of work and security I have everyday
Chrome with nothing added but used in conjunction with a Games app to pare off all unwanted services enabling me to watch Justin.tv that little bit cleaner
K-Meleon a basic basic browser app that because it carries no luggage is v. v. fast
Minefield (FF beta also known as Shiretoko). Fast FF but cannot run some of the add ons

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:59 pm

paulh wrote:Use the one that has the strengths for the particular job at the time

I have to agree with this. I have two Paypal accounts (well, I share one with my son) so I have two browsers set to log in to the respective accounts automatically. Well almost automatically - I still have to type in the password.

But there are many advantages to using two or more browsers.

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:19 am

I have always been a FF fan myself, but find that its increasingly buggy.

I have lost count of the times recently when I have to go to task manager to kill it ages, sometimes hours after I closed it. Also it seems to go non-responsive a lot more often these days.

Frustrated, I brought up Opera the other day and boy it seemed fast. So now I am alternating between the two.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:45 am

Paleo wrote:I have always been a FF fan myself, but find that its increasingly buggy.

I have lost count of the times recently when I have to go to task manager to kill it ages, sometimes hours after I closed it. Also it seems to go non-responsive a lot more often these days.

Yes, I've been experiencing the same thing lately with Firefox.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:05 am

Glad it's not just me experiencing this odd behaviour in FF [3.5.2].

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Not had any problems myself and I have several machines with 3.5.2 on XP, Vista and Win7RC.

Just had a quick look across Google and no lists of Firefox problems which is what usually happens.

I think you need to be on 3.5.2 because that may correct some of individual's problems.

If you are already on 3.5.2 then perhaps it could be add ons which are causing problems

It would be awkward to delete Firefox fully because you would lose your bookmarks etc. but a fresh install is free and a fairly small download and it could be the answer

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:42 pm

paulh wrote:If you are already on 3.5.2 then perhaps it could be add ons which are causing problems
Not in my case - no add-ons.

PS You can always back up and restore bookmarks.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Backing+up+and+restoring+bookmarks?style_mode=inproduct

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Three (minor) bugs I am experiencing with 3.5.2 running under XP Pro on an old 667 MHz PIII with 768 MB of memory:

1 The folders on the Bookmarks tool-bar are very slow to open, i.e. drop down the list of sites stored in that folder. It is not consistent. Sometimes they open as soon as you click on one; other times you might need to click several times. Nothing else seems particularly slow.

2 On Interkritical, posts I have viewed show up brown while those I have not read show up blue. Every so often everything shows up as a sort of washed out blue. Re-load the site and it is OK.

3 Sometimes when I click on a link or a bookmark the site does not load correctly. The tab, rather than showing the normal title of the site, shows the URL. The page is blank and at the bottom of the page it shows "Done". Again click on re-load and it loads correctly.

I think some of these anomalies happened before I updated to 3.5.2

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:05 pm

I'm now using the latest "Safari" and it does seem slightly faster. It downloaded and installed seamlessly, without losing any of my "cookies", "favorites" or passwords.

But I do use a Mac so ymmv. :)

I'll get my son to install it on his Windows PC and report back.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”